Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Passes are too hard :(

Discussion in 'Release 28 Feedback Forum' started by Cherico, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I really don't understand why the overworld map is so heavy that we cannot have a few preloaded small random encounter scenes... its my impression that ardoris is much heavier and it can all load at once, I hope this whole loading mechanism is going to be much more polished.

Ice Queen and Fister Magee like this.
  2. Aimend

Aimend Avatar

Agreed. This is slightly off topic but...people seem to be more focused on this bizarre concept of regional economies when there is a real danger of there being no economy. I haven't had to buy a new set of armor since R26.

There need to be challenges in the game and desirable items need to be lost as a result. It'll be hard...but it will keep you busy.

If things are too easy..then you'll never have anything to work for/toward. THAT'S what will make you leave the game. Boredom will set in and the cries for new content will be screamed for. Player activity will die off until another EP comes down the line.

Sadly, we are already heading down this path....

So bring on the challenging passes....not thatI think passes are good at all but because at this point I'll take whatever challenge we can get. There aren't many.

Tahru and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  3. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

This. If armor doesn't break completely after some use, or is lootable with no return, or at least something hard for said return, there only needs to be maybe 5 crafters in the entire game. Who I might add will be out of work 2 weeks after they GM.

Edit for clarity: ""or is lootable with no return"" Meaning looted by NPC's

Aimend, Ahuaeynjgkxs and Fister Magee like this.
  4. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

I believe the mechanic is there so if the Control point is taken, the gate on the overworld is open, so people can run right by and not have to enter the scene.
    Don't think that system is fully in place yet, but iirc that's how its going to work.

Tahru likes this.
  5. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

That's what I figured was the case. Since we are taking the point from Shadow Lord <Insert Name Here> and claiming it for good ol' LB, then in theory, it should help other LB affiliated players.

6. Floors

Floors Avatar

I don't find the passes hard at all, with the exception of Nightshade pass because I don't know the map well enough yet.

The rest I just run right through, the AI isn't good and can't catch you (thankfully) 99 percent of the time.

Whyterose Flowers likes this.
  7. Noric

Noric Avatar

Nightshade pass is a 3 skull map. There are bandits and Timberwolves in the path between the exits, biggest risk is a troll that isn't positioned to stop anyone from traversing.

8. Floors

Floors Avatar

Yeah I found that. My problem was that I ran into That Kobold Citadel because I thought it was the way out... nothing but Large browns and Kobolds in there.

I didn't bother to do much grinding this wipe I only have around 200 hp and level 35 skills and I don't have any special weapons or anything from a guild or what not so I'm barely able to deal with even a bear, or a couple of kobolds with a mage by myself at this point lol

9. Noric

Noric Avatar

I'll admit the path isn't clear, but it definitely wouldn't qualify as too dangerous. Sanctus Spine and Vabuan are the two most dangerous followed by Superstition Canyon and Brightbone. Technically, The Rise might qualify as the most dangerous pass now, though the navigational knowledge of getting through it might be a bit more than a traditional pass.

Anyway, while the penalty of death is so low, i really don't see much issue with the passes. I know people don't like to die, but the worse case scenario for passes isn't that bad, and players of all levels can manage better outcomes.

10. Floors

Floors Avatar

I had no issues on Sanctus Spine. I just ran right through that one, if you keep going and heal up a few times it's a cakewalk. Also it's fairly clear which is the way to go, unlike nightshade.

Nightshade is a cool map tho.

Do the Lunar Rifts work yet ? I see we have planets in the game at last. I'm only playing sporadically, don't want to spend any more time pre-July. Probably haven't spent more than 50 hours in game since the summer of 2014.

lunar Rift traveling a la moon gates in Ultima series is something that never really seemed to become functional, maybe for a while because devs were using it to test different scenes.

11. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

I run through the passes as a new character, dying isn't that big of a deal. Making the game easy isnt the answer, just run faster.

12. Noric

Noric Avatar

I think there are rifts in the 3 starting zones that can be used to get you accross the map if you are willing to wait a lot longer than walking takes usually. I don't find them particularly useful but those 3 should be active still.

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  13. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I have been pondering whether I wanted to reply to this for some time because I am sure the developers will ignore it anyway.

I agree loading times need improvement and I also like the idea of combat on the world map. But I think asking for control points without risk or time consumption defeats the entire point of having them. Choose either low risk or low time, but both at the same time are simply not an option.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Ice Queen like this.
  14. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

From my perspective on control points etc. I draw from this Space Ghost Coast to Coast quote:

Space Ghost: Hello, little one. I shall name you Banjo. You are mighty small, little Banjo, and your flippers are tired. But one day, you will become Banjo, King of the Sea Monkeys!

Tahru likes this.
  15. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I think the fact that we can pay to get through them makes them pointless already. As I said in another thread, I'd rather they put the Npc's outside the control points so that I can pay outside and avoid the control point and the loading screens if the ability to pay the Npc is to stay in game. :)

16. Noric

Noric Avatar

If it isn't a strain on resources i'd advocate giving them avatars on the Overland Map so we could talk to them there. More immersive than text would be and i agree that the loading screens are a pain.

Ice Queen likes this.
  17. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

True, but it depends on the amount. Money is a tax and if sufficiently high, then it will still work. For example, Joe Baker wants a gem which he knows he can get 100g cheaper past the control point, but the control point has a 1,200g tax, then he will just buy it locally saving 1,100g. However, the entrepreneur will cross the point with 200 gems, charging a 100g premium for each netting (200*100 - 1200 =) 18,800g profit.

Adding the inconvenience of the time to cross the control point, only compounds the value to the players to buy it locally at a premium.

Bluefire and Ice Queen like this.
  18. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

For that inconvenience of wasted time there would have to be something within that control point loot wise/gold wise that would make me want to bother even entering them, and not pay the fee, and there would need to be some other reason for me to stay within that region besides saving coinage on an item from someone's vendor. There needs to be something good that I want within them that make me want to not avoid them, otherwise their just pointless time sinks and annoyances. If there were something good in those control points I'd be inclined to stop and kill stuff there then go visit nearby vendors that are close to the control points for buying goods and selling off loot. Currently, they don't make me want to stay within a region to buy or sell goods there, and they don't prevent me from going to the next region to buy or sell goods. All they do is cause an inconvenience that makes me want to pay to get through as quickly as possible, and they make me not really want to shop around for merchandise I may need. Since I'm not like Joe, I don't care about the cost, and I suppose I'd be the entrepreneur in your scenario, I'd still pay the fee and sell my items in multiple regions as I'd still be making profits. ;)

If this were like UO and I could pop around to my favorite vendors as I pleased, I could be a loyal customer to those vendors I like to frequent, and I'd care about the cost of items I'm buying, no matter where they are on the map. As we do not have that type of system in Sota, I have no reason to be a loyal customer to anyone within any region :( (not really the way I wish it were but that's how it is). I can just gather loot/gold/rares etc and sell them at any public vendor in an Npc town I happen to be nearby or if I'm lucky enough my player vendors within Npc towns around the world that I have access to, and buy my merchandise there as well. Currently, there's no reason for me to go anywhere but an Npc town to sell out and buy goods. As my time is more important than the coinage there's no reason for me to bother exploring about for cheaper prices. Unfortunately, people that are out in the boonies will never get my business as I really have no reason to explore around looking for the best prices since my time is more important than cost of items. :(

:) Please don't take this as me trying to be difficult or snarky. ;) It's hard to convey sometimes type form that you're just calmly discussing a topic, lol. At the end of the day it's just a video game we all play to relax and have fun right? Nothing important enough to get worked up over. :)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    Mata, Lord Baldrith and Tahru like this.
  19. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

well said.

Ice Queen, Fister Magee and agra like this.
  20. Floors

Floors Avatar

The loading screens I could easily get used to if there was a screensaver like rotation of scenes from the game, or like, hints, or something... watching that same Stephen Danielle art piece for 2 years... I never ever want to see it again

Lord Baldrith, agra and Tahru like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.