Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Skill and Combat information

Discussion in 'Release 28 Feedback Forum' started by DaemienX, Apr 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaemienX

DaemienX Avatar

I know I've harped on this quite a bit, but can we PLEASE see how all of the various stats and skill affect combat?

- How do STR/DEX/INT affect the things the tooltip says they affect?
    - How do player and weapon stats affect combat skills?
    - What does the XP curve look like for skills? Does it differ between types?
    - How do skills progress? Linearly, randomly, fixed interval increases?
    - Do different weapon classes swing faster/slower than others?
    - What is the Swing arc on the individual weapon classes (especially those that can hit more than one opponent)?

As an alpha participant it's difficult to provide meaningful feedback when I can only see and evaluate 30% of the equation, and as a player it removes the ability for me to make an informed choice. Should I level strength some more? WHO KNOWS? I know this game is all about not holding hands, but I don't want to play guessing games with numbers. At this point, you may as well replace all numbers with unlabeled bar graphs and emoji.

"Don't worry guys, I have a :D in STR and a ;) in Dex. Also, my Blades skill is like, 75% full. I think. WE GOT THIS."

Ask anyone who plays Destiny how much they love comparing the stats on two different guns. Go ahead. (Spoilers: it sucks).

2. Noric

Noric Avatar

Later today I'm planning to write a big thread that will include a rough approximation of the damage formula. It should help to answer some of these questions. I'll link it at that time and possibly come back and answer some of the stuff not addressed for you.

Edit: Started writing this but got sidetracked by the Virtue League and then a lot of bug testing i did afterwards. Hope to have it finished tomorrow

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  3. DaemienX

DaemienX Avatar

Sweet, really appreciate it! I don't want to sound unappreciative, but I kinda want more than a rough approximation (and this isn't a dig at you, because you are doing what you can with what you have). This is more pointed at Dev's that we want to see under the hood, with specifics.

I look forward to you post with bated breath, however! Thanks again :)

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  4. Noric

Noric Avatar

I know what you mean devwise - but the systems often in flux. The time commitment required to outline these systems in easy to understand language is significant. Updating such explanations after reworks is large in and of itself and often these devs are handling the system changes too. I've followed a trail of partial (usually outdated) explanations, as well testing things a lot myself( and following the tests of others)to bring information together.

As an indication of the complication of tracking all of this info, along the way several subsystems that I reviewed had significant flaws that resulted in bugfixes. Even had better explanations existed for those - they would not have been accurate.

5. DaemienX

DaemienX Avatar

Fair Enough! Can't wait to see what you have to share :)

6. mike11

mike11 Avatar

The dev's position is IMO fairly contradicting to what there 'advertised position' is. In order to make combat better we (and not just me) should have access to the whole formule. But it's also fairly clear that there really isn't too much compexity going on as far as combat, from my gameplay experience.

DaemienX and Ice Queen like this.
  7. Noric

Noric Avatar

DaemienX likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.