Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Automap

Discussion in 'Release 28 Feedback Forum' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

So, maybe I'm getting old but after I spent half an hour searching for a specific location in the game I just gave up.
    Areas, especially cities in SotA are way too confusing. Just finding a person or the tavern or any other specific location proves to be frustrating.
    I think that on the one hand this is a perspective thing. Without having the overview of an isometric view plus a moving camera it is very hard to see where we are. On top of this is the fact that housing in NPC cities is very distracting. Walking through streets that all look the same and trying to find a shop is very frustrating.Then the cities look way too similar. Most don't have anything unique to them. And they are too big. I don't want to walk around for half an hour in a city when I just want to have fun and do some quests.
    Now sometimes we do have maps which are not very helpful as they are in runic.

As much as I hate so say it but I think that SotA needs an automap. Even I who grew up with games like Bard's Tale and the old Ultimas is admitting this. So how are younger players going to feel?

I don't want to have an automap that just pops up and tells me everything. But would it really be bad to have an automap like in Ultima Underworld? A map that draws itself while we walk around in the area? Places of interest like shops, taverns, temples etc. could be marked automatically but we could also manually write notes on the map, too.

I struggled to write this as I myself don't want too much handholding in SotA. But I think that an automap - at least an optional one - is neccessary to avoid frustration.

2. Alexandra Cornfellow

Alexandra Cornfellow Avatar

Aye, I'm geographically challenged as well. I've been assuming that after a couple of years of playing I'd be familiar enough to find what I'm looking for. But I understand your point and wouldn't object to a simple auto-map system.

Cheers,
    Cornfellow

3. Floors

Floors Avatar

Yeah, but with 3 months to go before final wipe and so much needed elsewhere, it's hard to see how this is going to ever happen. I mean we asked for this in 2014.

The Might and Magic series was the first game with an automap if I remember. And you absolutely had to have it... couldn't imagine playing world of Xeen with no map...

The only thing we don't want is quest exclamation markers or yellow path lines like in the witcher. that truly is handholding. Being able to figure out where the area of town a trader might be in, or where you have been, not so much.

Chatele, Time Lord, Mata and 2 others like this.
  4. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

Just a suggestion until we know absolutely one way or another about map sequence. You can print out a map of the four sections and have it laminated. it is not that expensive ,I think I paid about $2.00 for mine. It has helped with the main roads and for the city's I use Birko's map system quite a lot. Not the best case scenario, but it works for me. I too can get lost going around the recreational hiking trail, definite dysfunction when it comes to directions. :)

Chatele, Time Lord, Mata and 4 others like this.
  5. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Thanks, that helped.

But I am asking myself: Is it the point of not having an automap that we look on websites instead?

Time Lord, Leelu and Fister Magee like this.
  6. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Just some more landmarks or signage would be nice in towns :p

Katrina Bekers and Leelu like this.
  7. Floors

Floors Avatar

Signage other than "Beware" you mean :)

Sir Cabirus, Leelu and HoustonDragon like this.
  8. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Seriously. While I don't expect a glowing yellow brick road to lead me to my destination, there is a bit of a dearth towards navigation at times. Vendor signs should be large, and clearly noting what they offer (because realistically, people would want to know to buy their goods/services!), and make it a little easier to find the guy you're hunting for. Would also be nice, if possible, to be able to ask a NPC guard something like "Where's the bank?" and have them give some directions.

Heck, even if we had in-game purchasable maps like we had in U9, where you could actually see the entire town and figure out where you were in relation.

9. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Completely agree here.. who doesn't use sotamap.com? At least, until you learn the map by heart...

Kara Brae, Mata and Leelu like this.
  10. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

I agree in game mapping is necessary. Isn't this already planned where the in game maps will show your location?

Mata and Leelu like this.
  11. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I'm happy with the current item maps in the inventory thing (tho we could use more maps to purchase.. or create one day??)... it's the world map I think that needs an automap.

12. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

The maps you buy in town already pin-point your location, so it is possible.

Womby, Katrina Bekers and Leelu like this.
  13. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

We need a purchasable Road Map of Novia

Gix and Leelu like this.
  14. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

The ingame map is already showing your location. There is a red pointer which helps you with the orientation and shows you where you are. I ike this old style concept but hope the ingame maps will have a better resolution and yes the system should be able to switch between runic and normal description. Great would be the possibility to leave own notices. I also support the idea to ask NPCs and they show you the way to e.g. The bank by pointing into the direction. Dark Age of Camelot had this implemented.

Leelu likes this.
  15. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

But before I can buy a map of the town I have to find the shop where the maps are sold.
    So basically I would need a map to find the shop where I can buy the map?

Chatele and Fister Magee like this.
  16. Cypher Black

Cypher Black Avatar

Well, I am surprised a third party SoTA mapper has not yet been developed. UO has two or three of them.

Very handy. Of course, it would be best if SoTA created a built in one that could connect all of your guildmates/friends.

Cypher Black

17. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Where's my cloth map??? :)

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  18. Gix

Gix Avatar

I personally like the idea of getting lost in town until you either get your bearings or find the shop. So long as you can ask ANY NPC in that particular town for directions.

The problem I have with all this is that it isn't clear which shop is supposed to sell you that info. Anyone who suggests any 3rd party source probably don't understand the principle of the thing.

19. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I keep hoping they'll completely update the Atlas so that it's an actual book but that it would work like an auto map where it can be in the corner small up to have up full time and will switch between the maps between scenes automagically. You should be able to make pins and notes on it as well and adding pins would make it so stuff would show up on your compass as well. That being said they finally added lots to the compass so if you own a lot and you're in the scene that it's located in you can easily find it!

Chatele and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  20. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I think screen space is at a premium, and I find http://www.sotamap.com/ to be an excellent map and easy to use...

Womby and Katrina Bekers like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.