Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Daily 4x experience bonus

Discussion in 'Release 28 Feedback Forum' started by Barugon, Apr 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I know that there are a number of people who just (oddly) hate the 4x experience bonus we get until we reach our previous level. However, the daily 4x experience bonus helps everyone and I really think that it helps casual players the most. It gives me an incentive to log in at least for a few minutes each day to work on my character. I really hope that it stays after the final wipe.

2. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

As far as I am aware of, they are not. Of course they are subject to change their minds.. I am just enjoying it while I can. :):)

Ice Queen likes this.
  3. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

If you already exhausted your "natural" 4X (i.e. the carry over from previous wipe), the "daily 4x" is just a way to recover more easily from the DECAYED XP you accumulated since you logged off.

It's not new XP being gained, but old, lost XP being recovered faster.

Ice Queen, margaritte and Leelu like this.
  4. Noric

Noric Avatar

I know this isn't a new idea, but is it actually the case?

I get a sizable 4x daily bonus, but also have a large number of skills set to maintain. For daily bonus = daily decay, I would have to be losing an equivalent amount of pooled experience to maintenance each day. Anecdotally, I don't think that this is the case.

Aldo, FrostII and Adam Crow like this.
  5. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Im confused as how this is the case as i have not died for a couple weeks. Yet every 24 hours or so I get a 4x bonus. I can't see how it's related at all.

Moonshadow likes this.
  6. Katrina Bekers

You can verify easily.

Put *ALL* your lvl20+ skills to forget (the double down red arrow). You will accumulate no decay whatsoever. And have no 4x at next login.

7. Noric

Noric Avatar

I think skill maintenance occurs when spending experience (similar to unlearning skills occurring when using other skills that use the same pool). Previously, decay may have been applied on death but that barrier may not matter for maintenance.

8. Noric

Noric Avatar

Hidden decay should occur whether or not skills are set to anything. Are you saying that the pool itself will not change from logout to login but otherwise would?

9. Katrina Bekers

On the contrary: with forgetting skills, the pool changes (some XP goes from skills to pool). With every other state, the pool stays the same (XP removed from skills and just disappearing, or better, being used as upper ceiling of 4X bonus).

All of this, AFAIK and tested.

10. Noric

Noric Avatar

If the XP is being removed from the skills, it is either going to decrease the skill, decrease the skill upon some later event or decrease the pool(either immediately or at some later event). I have not witnessed any of these occurring, and had my pool increased(significantly) in respect to previous days without skill-loss when using my 4x daily bonus. I don't see how this adds up.

I have not done the testing on this that you have, so this is entirely anecdotal.

jama likes this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Skill decay is only applied when you die. There is no experience loss otherwise.

12. Noric

Noric Avatar

I don't see major losses even when i die.

13. Vox Aquila

Vox Aquila Avatar

Didn't we have powerhour in UO? I forget the mechanics but these are a great reason to log on every day and level up a bit...

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Even when my day is really busy, I usually find an extra 15 minutes or so to use up that 4x bonus.

15. helm

helm Avatar

Does that apply to Maintain mode as well?
    In that case, the XP pool itself would be diminished only when dying?

16. Noric

Noric Avatar

I'm trying to figure this out. I'm going to attempt to die before doing anything else when I next have my 4x bonus when I log in.

If my XP pool drops then this is the system - if not i'm back not understanding where the maintain xp is drained from.

helm and Fister Magee like this.
  17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This is how decay works as I understand it:
    • The amount of decay on any skill is directly proportional to the level of that skill. Higher skills will get hit with more decay.
    • Decay is accumulated separately and only applied when you die. Your skills will not lose experience until you die and decay is applied.
    • The amount of decay is capped at three (real) days. If you die, play (or not) for three days and die again then you will have taken the maximum amount of decay possible at the current levels of your skills.
    • When you die, decay is first applied to your experience pool. If you have enough experience in your pool to cover the decay then none of your skills will be affected.
    • If you have a skill set to maintain and it was reduced by decay then the next time you gain experience, some will be channeled to that skill to bring it back to the level that it was at when you set it to maintain. Once the skill is restored, no more experience will be used on it until it suffers decay again.
    If I'm wrong on any point then please feel free to correct me.

Katrina Bekers and Noric like this.
  18. Noric

Noric Avatar

I think that is the system we believe exists in theory... I'm just not sure my experience matches it in practice.

19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Decay is really insignificant until you get a bunch of skills above 100.

20. Noric

Noric Avatar

Well tying this back to the @Katrina Bekers comment, there is some theoretical tie between decay and the 4x bonus. If i am getting a 2-3 hundred thousand xp during my 4x bonus, i would expect my decay to be noticeable. I'll admit that i do not have more than 3 or so skills over 100, but i have quite a few at 80+ (I am currently adventuring level 85) so I do kind of expect to be within the group able to notice decay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.