Will there ever be 5 episode ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by warxnox, Apr 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warxnox

warxnox Avatar

Hi everyone,

I read on various thread that such or such features will be added in Episode 2.

I also read on a thread (can't remember which one) that there will be a KickStarter campaign for Episode2.

Will the success of this second KS be a mandatory condition to see the developement of Episode 2 ?

Will there be KS campaign for Episode 3,4 and 5 ?

The first KS campaign was a real success, but what about the further one ?

Doom Bringer, Acred, mercster and 2 others like this.
  2. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

i dont care first they need to deliver episode 1 and quality featurs.

Brink1123, Vyrin and Ice Queen like this.
  3. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

Mandatory is too misleading of a word. Nothing is set in stone when in development. The wise business owner would have contingencies in place to offset these possibilities. I believe each episode will be produced as stated and each shall do very well. As to the way each is produced is entirely up to the project manager. :)

4. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

As far as it's been presented, the intention is to have 5 episodes to be released over time. We're still pending Episode 1 with the final wipe in July, and the official "release" sometime after that.

I'm not really sure there would be another KS at this point; most of the pledges in the original included the subsequent episodes in their rewards. I'm expecting to see more add-on and other type fundraisers down the road, since they would need to continue to raise monies for it at some point.

Ice Queen, Hornpipe, Acred and 3 others like this.
  5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=28012
    • Episodic Content: Shroud of the Avatar will consist of five episodes that will tell a series of virtue based stories created by Richard Garriott and Tracy Hickman. All supported by a series of prequel novels starting with Blade of the Avatar.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=19#faq_11
    Will there be more than one episode?
    Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues is the first of a 5 game series of full-length games (each using the same game system), referred to as Episodes 1 through 5. Limited monthly access to Episode 1 is available now to backers with full-time live access estimated for end of 2014. Episodes 2 through 5 are estimated for subsequent yearly releases.

So the plan is definately 5 episodes. Which is also consistent with what we see in the game world, like the Lunar Rifts having slots for future continents, the maps outlining such continents etc.

The idea of a kickstarter per episode was very early and in talks and hangouts since then Portalarium has stated that they see it as less and less likely although it depends on the success and conversion of Episode 1. Their current business model doesn't require any new pledges to get Episode 2 funded if the current trends hold.
    So if things has gone really well by xmas 2017, expect no new kickstarters. While if things go mediocre then and only then they might have to.

Instead expect more activities like the Telethons.

6. g04tn4d0

g04tn4d0 Avatar

Pensacola, Florida, Earth, Dimension C-137
    I'm going to do my part and try to pull new people into the game whenever I have a chance!

Mitch [MGT], Montaigne, Tahru and 3 others like this.
  7. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I could see various fundraising things (like deeds + land selection priority type things for Episode 2) but I don't really picture a kickstarter campaign. They have a website and client base already and addon store and can take money directly without giving a percentage to kickstarter. And ideally many new backers entering as the game gains in popularity after "launch." Not everyone buys games before they're launched. Actually I think I only did that for the D3 expansion and SC2 so SotA is a unique experience for me, I don't tend to pre-order unless the price is similar and it comes with perks like uhh Tyrael wings for my avatar.

Ice Queen, Leelu and Tahru like this.
  8. mercster

mercster Avatar

I support a monthly fee. Maybe that's impossible, considering past statements. But if not I am thinking of organizing a group of people who would volunteer to spend $15 or so on the store once a month. I think that would be a good cause. The SOTA MONTHLY CLUB!

Leelu likes this.
  9. g04tn4d0

g04tn4d0 Avatar

Pensacola, Florida, Earth, Dimension C-137
    I would just buy expansions like in Guild Wars.

Leelu likes this.
  10. mercster

mercster Avatar

Yeah, that's the plan. Hope it works out.

Leelu likes this.
  11. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

while i don't think kickstarters for future episodes will be as responsive as the first kickstarter was, i also don't think they'll need to be nearly as responsive either. they won't be starting from scratch, moving forward.

Leelu likes this.
  12. mercster

mercster Avatar

Yeah, my hope is that at some point, it'll just need to be designers and artists. If they've done the ground work (which I think they are getting close to completing) then all that's needed in later episodes will be easier to fill in.

Leelu likes this.
  13. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i'm sure they're going to add more tech moving forward, that just makes sense. like the boats, hopefully building houses too, things like that i expect in future kickstarters.

Leelu likes this.
  14. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I think everyone is forgetting the fact that, this is a game in development, which means they will release it "for sale" to the gaming community as a whole, by advertising it everywhere... So from sales alone, I predict they sell 1 million copies... And that will generate 34 million dollars... 10 million will most likely go back to the stockholders for their investment, and the other 24 million should be dumped back in for further development of ep 2 and beyond...

The original KS goal was for what 1.5 million, and they far surpassed that, allowing them to add things they never dreamed of in the first place... Like doubling the size of the Novia map for example, and nearly doubling the development crew, and moving to bigger offices... That's all on us my friends, we made it happen through our support...

If they asked me for another $34, I would give it to them, no problem... I've had so much fun playing in this early release... WoW...

15. Last Trinsic Defender

Last Trinsic Defender Avatar

Definitly. +1

mercster and Leelu like this.
  16. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I don't think they will need to do a kickstarter for future episodes.

Port will need to get the word out about Ep 2, 3, 4, and 5 though so funding can be generated.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    Leelu likes this.
  17. Mata

Mata Avatar

Yes, I have payed for all 5 episodes! :)

18. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

I remember the UO rewards for being a long time subscriber. $5-$10 a month wouldn't be unreasonable for me. I spend that on getting breakfast somewhere.

19. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Sota being a B2P game with cash shop, the cash shop is what was decided for making money to keep the game going when selling us on the game, so I think it should stay that way.

I'm usually all for subscriptions for mmo's, but only if there's no cash shop. With Sota, the add-on store prices are high enough already, I couldn't see paying a subscription fee for vanity items that are just re-skins of the same items I can get in game or from the add-on store that was suggested here. https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...uggestion-collectors-club-subscription.47260/
    I would like to see some sort of rewards system much like we had in UO that rewards you with items for each year you've been playing though, and I'd like to see holiday item collectibles gifted every year like we had in UO too. More things need to be added in game imo.

As for if there will be an episode 2-5. There's suppose to be, we paid for it. We'll just have to wait and see how things go with E1 though to find out. :) I sure hope so.

20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

*scratches head* stockholders ?

Ice Queen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.