Will there ever be 5 episode ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by warxnox, Apr 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

This game is a crowd funded, so we are the one who invested money into the development. Not some Illuminati ghost protocol handed money to Richard or Starr.

2. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Yeah, I'm trying to wrap my head around the math myself. If you sell 1 million base copies, then wouldn't that be the $45 basic account? So, $45 million? If they raised that, it would all go to the general pool of money, given how we've been able to see their finances thanks to Dallas' bookkeeping updates.

On top of all that, they've clearly stated they are not ready to start pushing the marketing towards new players yet (hence why it's not "final release" yet), so all of that is extremely pie-in-the-sky speculating. Let's worry about them getting it out the door in July for the final wipe/land rush, and we can get to the actual full Episode 1 release milestone and see how it's all received. :p

3. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

In some cases that is not so far from the truth... but yea lets focus upon the constructive :p

Ice Queen and HoustonDragon like this.
  4. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I still have all but one veteran reward UNUSED on my UO account.

I had to get the rideable polar bear.

5. Last Trinsic Defender

Last Trinsic Defender Avatar

The idea of 1 mio copies is a nice idea. Lets look at the facts. Most of the games nowadays work with instances. Neverwinter for examples opens a new instance when 50 players are in the same area. That introduces many problems with groups (everyone in another instance needs to teleport to the main-group), with community-events and big player-action. WoW does likewise and had big troubles in community-events till they intoduced extended instancing. From 1 mio subsribers you will get - in the beginning - peeks with 50.000 to 100.000 players every hour .. probably even more. On a map like SotA? Imagine 500 players at the same time in a POT. Don't think the servers can handle that. That gets me to the idea, that the target of sale is much lower .. approx. 100k to 200k. Don't think we will get the real numbers though :D

6. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

How would a monthly fee work with the single player mode(s)?
    Imagine having to pay a monthly fee in order to play Skyrim...

Sir_Hemlock and Ice Queen like this.
  7. mercster

mercster Avatar

Well, it wouldn't. Pay once for the single player game or subscribe for online access. Doesn't sound like rocket science to me...

8. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Well I guess it all depends on the level of passion that is put back into the game... if you pay monthly and you get 5 new quests a month, regular updates with tons of content, new items, doesn't affect only multiplayer.

But if you pay monthly and all that is done is bug fixes that was supposed to be done prior to release, then you might be a little deceived. (EA is a good example)

Ice Queen likes this.
  9. mercster

mercster Avatar

Or, how about buy once for single player only, a nominal monthly fee ($5?) for Friends Online, $10-$15 for the full online game. I'm not saying these ideas are awesome or cannot be criticized, I'm just thinking out loud. :)

10. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I'm mostly multiplayer online, where such pricing schemes could be easier to justify, but they allow hiring more GMs and more Event moderators so we can have more dynamic content and a sound roleplaying environment.

For single player, there would need to be a firm and time-tested extra content pipeline...

mercster likes this.
  11. mercster

mercster Avatar

Yeah it'd need to be worked out, the details, etc.

12. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

What? You don't know? When ppl form companies (like a bunch of guys did with Portalarium), they like to protect their investment capital from theft, so corporations have stockholders (even private corporations), partnerships have shareholders, and they don't invest huge amounts of money NOT to make a profit on their investment... But, on the other hand they could loose their shirt if the company fails too... So, it's pretty important that we as "Fans" stay positive when we post, so others who haven't joined in have a good impression of what to expect when they buy... You know "Talk the game up", don't "Talk the game down" and hate on it...

Of course there's going to be an episode 2, 3, 4, & 5 , but if you only pledged ep 1, then you will need to buy the next one too...

13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

No of course I didn't know ! I was sold this game as "finally no shareholders putting sticks in the wheels"... my impression is that it was mostly funded by backers, unless you're saying backers are shareholders ?

I probably wouldn't have invested if we had to report to beancounters... which is why I left EA's UO...

Also was it possible to just pledge for episode 1 ? With the 45 $ pledge people get how many episodes ?

14. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Based on what I look at each pledge. At $45, it only gives you episode 1. However, if a person worries he won't have enough money to pay for episode 2,3,4, and 5. From today, he/she can start putting $1 on a piggy bank every day. So when episode 2 comes out, the person would be able to buy several copies of the game for the whole family and maybe neighbors too :)

Ice Queen likes this.
  15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Sounds fair... so from digital collector and up we get 5 episodes ?

16. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

basically, if it gets to 5, then we get all 5. there is no guarantee that they will go to five, the moment the first person purchased a pledge that said they get access to 5.

but i do expect this to go longer than 5, and i expect them to have other titles alongside this, too.

17. mercster

mercster Avatar

Wait, what? There is no guarantee that they will go to five, the moment the first person purchased a pledge that said they get access to 5? I don't understand.
    I wish i shared your enthusiasm :)

ThurisazSheol likes this.
  18. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i'm a realist after a fashion - there is no guarantee we'll have 5 ep's but if there are, those of us who pledged that high will continue to have access through those episodes. i stated further, that because someone pledged to that level didn't guarantee that the game would actually be around for those episodes.

considering the length of UO's reign, i can't presume they aren't trying for that too.

19. ottomaddux

ottomaddux Avatar

That is very optimistic. In my opinion overly so.

20. ottomaddux

ottomaddux Avatar

A big problem with a subscription model is that a lot of backers gave a lot of money with the understanding that they would have complete access for their contributions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.