Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

What the new targeting and combat system needs in order to work under the new system.

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by Smalls, Apr 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

In this thread please stay on topic. This isn't the place for I hate it, take it out, or anything non constructive. There are plenty of other threads for that.
    With that said please post in a constructive manner what you think needs to change to make it suitable for you.

@Mystic Please moderate any and all off topic, non constructive feedback.

@Chris @DarkStarr
    Follow-up with this as you see fit.

Thanks in advance to all,

Time Lord, KuBaTRiZeS, helm and 4 others like this.
  2. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

my only issue has been the inability to stack glyphs using the r key, give me that r key back and i give combat and targeting two thumbs up.

Time Lord, Etheom, agra and 1 other person like this.
  3. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

There is an huge issue with the new targeting system.

Imagine you play a "Healer" role, how are you supposed to exactly heal your wished target in an messy battle or even in PVP?
    Or if you want to heal yourself, as soon someone walks/runs in front of you within the healing range, you gonna heal him instead of yourself...

4. agra

agra Avatar

• auto attack indicator (is it currently active? on? attacking? impossible to tell, currently)
    • weapons that hit multiple targets need a hard target for adjacency calculations (2h sword, polearm, 2h bludgeon), currently they are broken and don't hit more than one target.
    • it's impossible to tell the health of your enemy, currently, because there's no hard target anymore. Even with nameplates on, the player nameplate overwrites/covers up the nameplate of the nearest enemy/enemies.
    • any spells that have a range no longer show accurate range because they have no hard target. They just show active all the time, which is totally broken/wrong.

5. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

The 'cheat sheet' from the manual states:

CTRL-TAB Target friend..

Does this work ok or is it very awkward?

6. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

If I remember correctly, ESO had to use all AoE heals because of this very issue.

7. Etheom

Etheom Avatar

@Chris

We must have the option to choose the "classic" or "new" system of combat targeting. The new system is fine and still learning it, and I think it's fine to set as default, but we must have the option to choose "classic" or "new" (whatever we name it, classic, active, etc). I repeat, we must have the option to choose between these two preferences. Thank you!

8. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

@Chris has addressed the healing in another thread, 1 idea was to make them 2 step ground target and Aoe touch spells.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

id prefer the reticle be lowered a tad. ifk feels kinda too far up and im looking down at everything.

10. agra

agra Avatar

Also..

You can no longer see if attacks land, or any status effects or any negative effects are on any targets of any kind (dots, debuffs, snare, root, stun, knockdown, knockback, ae's) without explicit/hard targets.
    Given there are no indications in the combat log for misses of non-melee attacks, and DoT's, Debuffs, AE's, or any similar combat messages do not log when they miss, start or stop, it's impossible to measure in any quantifiable way, even visually that anything is working as intended or indeed, if (almost) anything is working at all. :mad:

11. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

would be best if the user had some adjustable control.

12. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

13. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Being able to drag items by either pressing the right mouse button or pressing and holding the left button.

NO option to switch between old or new mode - just stick with one so that it stays fair for every player.

Better optimization to interact with some items. Sometimes it is hard to interact with items, for example keys or letters.

14. mike11

mike11 Avatar

This is serious, combat need's a lot of work IMO.
    My advice is Sota needs to make a solid combat experience that is it's own and doesn't copy anyone. One idea I had which could, IMHO, ease symptoms of clicking somewhat is to modify the in/out of combat button "z" to be more dynamic and also control in/out of a paused game state for the system menu stuff - buttons with more complex function (more like Assassin Creed than Neverwinter). Actions (like traps or snares) for instance, not only be real time actions, and could have more requirements like social an pvp and adventure. This could also potentially access Reagents and Potions as each type-specific actions can have more hotbar customizations per-layer.
    - remove the concept of 'locked' beginner cards which is misleading to new players, not helpful, ofc the starting setup should represent a basic design of the 'more finalized' version of deck combat which hopefully adds more dynamic abilities to the mix.
    Other ides such as swipe support for the cards might be something to consider as well (mouse and other types).

Better onscreen layout - I find the 'level up' notifications on the right hand side distracting, it's as though it was copied from other game and put there for no reason. In combat those are not relevant and I find they distract the eyes by remaining on screen so long. I would much prefer level up notifications to be centered on the avatar and would fade quickly. I would reserve on screen space for more relevant combat buffs and buffs that are on the enemy - these are currently extremely tiny on screen in comparison.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Sorry, I missed this topic. I posed my thoughts over here.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Noric

Noric Avatar

The noncombat UI needs a lot more work in the current system that the combat imo.

I would like a toggle for the right click running. Maybe some tweaking on making the targeting do what the player wants(instead of overriding it at times) a bit more while still using a moderately wide targeting range.

Time Lord and mike11 like this.
  17. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I still want to be able to keep attacking and use glyphs on a mob as long as my character is facing that mob while I'm panning the camera in cursor mode to capture screenshots or videos. Right now we're limited to look behind our guy to maintain the cone angle, which is rather restricted when it comes to making any tactical assessment.

Time Lord and mike11 like this.
  18. mike11

mike11 Avatar

More thoughts... One of the biggest problems I always disliked about Sota both in combat and out, as well as on the OW (overworld), is action types just don't suit being all shared on the same hotbar.

I really think the best 'solution' to combat is to go ahead and make more hotbars for each action type.. potions, attack, defend, stealth etc (ie 'stances' fleshed out). And while while using the key to move into the 'passive' stance, pre-action, passive effects would already begin.

Adding more hotbars and customization options to decks, bringing back deck size (or auto sizing) per stance and allieviate the large space required for 1-0 type actions as of now, the new system would use pivotal action keys (and coincidentally make the game for more playable via controller).

A action key would prime each set of actions or stances and bring different sets of cards/glyphs as well as passive abilites. This effect would also advertedely 'filter' cards more effectively give Avatars less actions that are not compatible with the action stance (or intended action).

So much work is still needed to make the stacking and combo system more interesting and 'playable'.

Time Lord and Whyterose Flowers like this.
  19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

There needs to be an option to use either reticle targeting or tab targeting.

Time Lord and Gravidy like this.
  20. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

What I would like to see is:

-Sensitivity adjustment for dbl clicking... my mouse button is wearing out...
    -Alt + click to start auto attack...
    -Auto attack to actually start when I'm attacked by anything... Even if my weapon is sheathed, I should draw it and start swinging, if I'm attacked...

I like the current revision to the new target system, the only thing lacking is Tab target, I can live without it, and that auto target always targeted the one the farthest away (Mage or Archer)...

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.