Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

why do some of us like these new targeting changes ...

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by Xi_, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I do like how the new ankh timer ensures that they will stay dead at least 30 seconds to give you a chance to rez them.

Quenton and Moonshadow like this.
  2. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Besides the quirks that the new system has, which I'm sure will be addressed and fixed in the short-term, I think the BEST part of the system, is that my right-click finger is no longer so strained while I'm grinding in combat! I would usually hold down my right mouse button to keep facing the target, no need anymore.

My hand is much less sore after a day of gaming now.

helm, Moonshadow and CrazyPhil like this.
  3. helm

helm Avatar

If a binding is listed in the Options/Controls it can be cleared with the Delete key. Not all bindings are currently listed in there but most are.

4. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Actually I see all mobs health bars above their heads with Hp shown on the bars...
    maybe the option in menu to show your nameplate and healthbar above head does this as I have that on so I dont need to keep glancing at the top left monitor on a 3 monitor setup.
    The other option also in game options is called something like show hp and focus points on bar helps also.

Should be the default setting Imo to help new players out.

Chatele likes this.
  5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

6. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I understand what you're saying, but who actually does that? Firing at an unknown target, they can't see... Of course with Tab targeting you could just Tab, and now the target is highlighted, even though it's pitch black and you couldn't see them before, but now you can... Somehow I would think that if you were within range to fire, the target would have already locked on you, and are coming for you, regardless of what you can't see, so you wouldn't know to fire or stand there...

@Kara Brae I un-checked "force target mode in combat" so movement was like it used to be, I'm using auto attack with a Halli, I use fire & water magic with a little sun & life, I use heavy armor (chain set store bought) Love body slam, I play SPO... My house is in Soltown, I think I have the only windmill, as you enter town go straight through out the other side to the intersection, turn left... I don't have my vendor setup yet as a full wipe for r29 happened, my best sellers have been stone pavers & fences...

Fister Magee likes this.
  7. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

Actually nobody!
    It just happens, even if you are already fighting an target in close range. And even if your crosshair and camera is directly aligned to that close range opponent.
    Sometimes for some odd reasons your ranged spells decide to shoot at another random target, wether it's in range or not...

The result of this is, sometimes pulling another additional mob because the game simply decided to do so for you.

This new Targeting System in it's current form is totally garbage.
    And i could write here 20+ reasons as to why this is the case.

But i wont, why? Well we have already 50 threads about this, i am sure you and everyone else did read most of them.

Chatele likes this.
  8. redfish

redfish Avatar

You're saying in its current form, but we know that in its current form its only half-developed and under testing for feedback.

Al those issues are things that are addressable. The game could show more sensitivity to your reticle location, the arc could be narrower, or target locking with some soft tab targeting system can be added for those targets within your firing arc. Conditions such as darkness could make you less likely to snap onto a target, and more likely to just fire straight ahead underneath the reticle.

They could have always made similar adjustments to the old system too, and made you lose track of selected targets in the dark, or when they were out of your viewing angle, but then that would have also had the disadvantage of removing some player intuition from the equation.

Ultimately, its not a question of whether its good in its current form, IMO, but whether this is a good direction for the devs to go in. Personally, I think it was not even just a good direction, but a necessary direction, just to make archery and long-range combat have some consistency with the control scheme that was already in place for close-range combat. But its just a start, and from here on out, the devs can make tweaks and refinements to give players better control over targeting. Tab targeting wasn't perfect in terms of player control, either. I would often press Tab and the game would bring me to the wrong enemy, or press it one too many times, and have to cycle back. It could become really annoying. The restricted firing arc is an extra element of control, and they could then always do a hybrid system and bring some aspects of Tab targeting back if necessary.

Chatele, Tracker, helm and 1 other person like this.
  9. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

I'd like to know what you're all doing to reach some of the hotkeys. With a right hand on the mouse and WASD on your left hand, you can reach 12345, but do you move your hand off your mouse or off your movement to reach 6-0?

Before I was clicking on them; now I'm not sure what to do, and switching to cursor mode mid-fight doesn't feel right.

10. Noric

Noric Avatar

A lot of people are still using cursor mode - either swapping to mid-fight or keeping it always on. Alternatively people are binding keys for those skills to letter keys near WASD or mouse buttons(gaming mice)

Quenton likes this.
  11. helm

helm Avatar

@Noric said many of these things already, but regarding keybindings:
    • Many are using keys near WASD:
      • The bottom row Z, X, C, V, B and the mid-row F, G, H are not time-critical keys, and can therefore easily be remapped elsewhere
        • Good candidates that can be used for remapping include the 6,7,8,9,0 keys, also you can make room by using CTRL-combinations with rarely used things (for example the very rarely used free lot ping, normally bound to 'P" - rebind it to 'CTRL-P' and you have freed up 'P' for some other purpose)
      • The 'T' key is only useful for those using auto attack.
      • Some folks also remap the Q and E keys for glyphs (I personally like to keep them as they are).
      • The exact combination depends a bit on the hand anatomy; the keys that can be reachable without taking fingers completely off the WASD keys are good, this needs to be tested beforehand
      • Some might prefer to limit the number of unlocked glyphs (I'm currently testing a setup with with 8 unlocked glyphs with keyboard bindings, and 2 locked glyphs with mouse bindings)
    • Some are additionally binding modifier keys (combining by default mapped to 'R" and the CTRL key) to the mouse.

Quenton and Fister Magee like this.
  12. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I've felt as though a gaming mouse has been needed since r11

Fister Magee likes this.
  13. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

Ive used a gaming mouce for years, as I have always been a hotkey over a click type of guy. In UO I had over 40 hotkeys I wasn't one of those people who dragged spells and skills to the window to click. Ive always found it easier to play this way, thus trained myself to do so. It gives an advantage over someone trying to maneuver around and click on icons.. just my 2c

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    Moonshadow likes this.
  14. Merv DeGriff

Merv DeGriff Avatar

Then Fraps this and post a bug report in the R29 feedback. Targeting a random object was not intended.

15. Merv DeGriff

Merv DeGriff Avatar

I've enjoyed it quite a bit both with magic and melee (sorry no bows) . The only real miss-giving I've had is how high p the cross hair is... made melee a more top down afair... but that was something I noticed prior as well would come up.

For ranged spell combat it has made targeting easier for me... I would get anoyed with TAB targeting as it would not consistently highlight the target I wanted when attacked, and I'd see a mob name matching the one I wanted and fired.... to my left. oops.. more agro.

Now its the target I was pointed at.

Melee is not too bad... although I have had a few short buggers that required me to step back and look down to start the party (auto attack mode) but ... they were SHORT... short lil buggers... you 'ave to look down at them... there's no other way.

And I'd rather look down to squish a spider than to accidentally roast hit mate and have a swarm.

That's why I'm happier.

Moonshadow likes this.
  16. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

Has been done already multiple times

17. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

1. I like it because apparently there was some tab exploit it got rid of, I've never used tab target in my life. Didn't notice it existed. Didn't notice it was gone.

2. I like the fact that it exists for those that like it. Great. Fantastic.

[​IMG]

Yin Yang. Opposition to all things. 50% Pro 50% Con.

3. I dislike it, because I like to zoom out and see my dude at max zoom out like in UO and all 3rd person perspective games which are my favorite, say I don't know, every Ultima game ever made?

4. I dislike it, because it's physically annoying. Please add disable option. I don't like it's physical immersion destruction, feels like I'm playing duck hunt at an arcade in 1986.

18. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

I play both an archer and a melee (trying melee before the wipe) and I find that the changes this time around were really nice. I've always hated tab targetting in any game. People have been complaining sometimes about not being able to easily hit the target they want but that is part of the point. When i have my bow out i dont have a magical button I can hit to "target" my enemy. I must pull the bow up, I must find my target, i must aim. If enemies get in the way of me then Im not going to magically shoot through them because ive tabbed them but instead i must get clear! I need to line up a shot and fire again! I must use the precisiou that archers are known for! And I like to think I do it quite well.

Now with melee im less familliar with but I can say both with free attack and auto attack with melee things seem to feel more visceral now. I run up to the enemy and start wailing on him, he moves i move, no more hit attack and trade blows standing still. If another enemy comes into the fray I know that I have to get into position as to not expose my back or side so I turn to face them all at the right angle. I angle the melee blows up so that i can hit several of them at once, suddenly it feels more like a real BATTLE than just a one-off fight. It's really fun! The AI needs adjustment to it of course and there are bugs but overall it is quite entertaining.

19. Merv DeGriff

Merv DeGriff Avatar

I've got the right target more since this update. :)

20. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

I am slowing trying to like this new targeting, it does need a lot of work. If I get too frustrated with it I log into Star Wars The Old Republic where I can use my Tab Targeting :)

Ice Queen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.