Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Suggestions on what to do with Last Names - Prompted by Telethon

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by Crazy Phil, May 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crazy Phil

Crazy Phil Avatar

In the Spring Telethon, suggestions were requested for how to handle Last Names...

Currently, your unique name used for whispers/tells comes from the combination of your First Name (required) and Last Name (optional). This would mean that someone could be named your First Name if you chose to have a Last Name. You have to type out your entire name for whispers/tells or for NPCs when they ask for your name or you're technically lying to them (I believe since the name doesn't highlight). I think this is kinda silly, confusing, and should be avoided somehow by the Final Wipe.

In EverQuest, when you reached a specific level (20 I think), you were rewarded with choosing a Last Name to display next to your unique First Name for your character (similar to a title). Your unique First Name was the only name required for whipsers/tells. I think this system is fairly solid and would work just fine.

If you wanna get crazy though... how about your Last Name is the unique name and the one used for whispers/tells? This way folks won't end up with First Names like "Johhhnothannn" (happened in EQ all the time).

2. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I like having the option of going without a last name, so being identified by first name only seems like the best option out of those to me.

edit: I also don't really mind it much the way that it is now. Also, some people like having the ability to have common last names for RP spouse/family.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
    Razimus, Rhiannon, Womby and 2 others like this.
  3. Selene

Selene Avatar

Based on the founder reward in the immortal adventurer pledge, it would seem this was originally planned for shroud as well.

"Last Name
    Get your last name early! Experience in battle leads to Notoriety, but unlike ordinary adventurers, Immortal Adventurers will have the right to select and display both a first and last name right from the get-go!"

If we are talking about original promises, then only founders at or above this pledge level should be able to claim a last name when the game begins. Meaning that first names would have to be unique to each and every player.

4. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I like this approach.

5. Crazy Phil

Crazy Phil Avatar

Beautiful! You hear that, @DarkStarr ? ;)

6. Selene

Selene Avatar

To honor that pledge promise and NOT make first names unique to a single player (regardless of last name), you would end up with multiple characters with the same single name running around. Even if you allow them to select their last name at character creation but just not show it until a certain point, it would allow players to grief single named players. For example, say I hate @Spoon, (totally untrue, just an example) I could create a character named "Spoon IsaFork" and just never complete the quest to get my last name and besmirch his name, knocking over buckets and yelling mock obscenities at innocent NPCs.

The only other way to fix that would be to require EVERYONE above the level/beyond the quest requirement to always display a last name, which would be an unpopular choice. I know lots of single named people who would NOT like that.

Making first names unique to a single character seems like the option that would do the least damage to the current dynamic.

jama, Moiseyev Trueden, Leelu and 9 others like this.
  7. Scraps MacMutt

Scraps MacMutt Avatar

I'm fine with the current system, especially if my character names will be preserved through final wipe which I believe is the intention of the devs. I bought a 2nd account just so I could have a character with the same first name, but no surname. I'm sure there are others who bought multiple accounts because of the naming restrictions. It doesn't seem fair to be changing the rules now.

Leelu, Razimus, Ice Queen and 2 others like this.
  8. Selene

Selene Avatar

But it goes against a pledge reward for founders. Like, directly against it.

9. Andreaus Whitefyre

Andreaus Whitefyre Avatar

I agree With SeleneMoctua. We kinda paid for the last name stuff as part of our Pledges. It';s gotta be Unique.

Moiseyev Trueden, Leelu and Time Lord like this.
  10. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Just spit balling here, but since everyone will start in a quest that puts them at the edges of Novia for the virtue quests, what if the only requirement to get a last name was to finish a quest in Brittany to register yourself. Only upon finishing the quest, will you get a last name and from them on, it is required when sending messages.

This allows founders to not have to do the quest because they get the ability at character creation.

And no one HAS to do the quest.

This preserves the system already in place, doesn't force people to have last name, AND keeps the founder promise.

It is essentially the same system we have, but pushes off the ability to access a last name until the quest to give yourself one is complete.

11. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I would be angry if i were forced to take a last name.

Gix, Moiseyev Trueden, Leelu and 5 others like this.
  12. Nuku

Nuku Avatar

There was talk that devs said in a hangout that the social side of the game will be wiped as well as characters and data. Names will be free-for-all and not tied to accounts anymore. Friends lists and guilds will be reset too.

Per: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...bout-character-name-availability.34303/page-2

13. Selene

Selene Avatar

The problem is, if we quest for last names but don't require them AND don't make first names unique. There could be many people with the same name.

14. Scraps MacMutt

Scraps MacMutt Avatar

That's not what I heard @DarkStarr say during the recent spring telethon. Maybe I heard it wrong or something else was said later on during the telethon. From that I inferred that they'd like to avoid wiping social data any more if possible, which I think is a great goal. My character names and our guild name has been preserved through several wipes now and it would be nice if that continued through the final wipe.

Leelu, Razimus, Ice Queen and 7 others like this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I think that it could be a disaster if they wiped social.

Leelu, Razimus, Ice Queen and 3 others like this.
  16. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I thought i heard them say they have no intentions of ever doing a social wipe.

Leelu, Razimus, Time Lord and 3 others like this.
  17. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I may be wrong but i think this implies that they circumvented what they thought may require a social wipe.

Leelu, Ice Queen, cartodude and 3 others like this.
  18. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

I prefer there to be no unique name requirement. While this may lead to some abuse I think that the benefits of being able to choose whatever name one desires outweighs any potential for abuse. I'd much rather see 3 Johns rather than John, JJohn an JJJohn.

Wilfred, Leelu, Ice Queen and 5 others like this.
  19. Scraps MacMutt

Scraps MacMutt Avatar

Yes, I finally found the specific reference at the 3:22:40 mark of Part 1 of the telethon. Obviously nothing is set in stone but it would be great if this were true. :)

Leelu, Ice Queen, Razimus and 2 others like this.
  20. Birne Gilmore

Birne Gilmore Avatar

Hmm, I'm not a fan of unique first names. I would like to have a system like in Guild Wars 1 where you had to have at least 2 names (first and last) only with some more rules (so that no one calls himself G O D for example). Making the first name Unique will leed to much hard to write names (Bill, Bíll, Bìll and Bîll for example) or to frustation if your long used name is gone suddenly when the wipe is done.

Leelu, Hornpipe, cartodude and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.