Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Why were Verdantis Mines and Serpent Spine Mines moved?

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by Scraps MacMutt, May 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scraps MacMutt

Scraps MacMutt Avatar

@DarkStarr All of the other mines shown on the official SotA map are pretty close to those locations in game; however, the new Verdantis Mines and Serpents Spine Mines have apparently been moved a significant distance away from their original locations. The Verdantis Mines are on the opposite side of the Fallion River to the south and the Serpents Spine Mines are way up north of the Serpentis Mountains. Why was this done?

I'm sure others besides me chose the location of their player-owned towns based on the original mine locations shown in the official map. My guild has been waiting a long time for these mines to be added to the game and now I feel like the rug has been pulled out from under us. This is incredibly frustrating and extremely disappointing.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    Dantuin and Leelu like this.
  2. Noric

Noric Avatar

Wow, I hadn't realized how much Verdantis mines had moved.

Leelu and Scraps MacMutt like this.
  3. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

Would you move your town closer to the new location, given the option?

Leelu likes this.
  4. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Perhaps we should accept the world is still growing, not everything will stay how it is now. The dev's move things around in the interest of their world and regional resources/economy. Many reasons. I can let them explain the same, but no need. I'm here. :)

5. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

That's part of the reason I chuckle at the stress people place on the land rush.

I know it's a big deal to get your placement right but things are going to change. If not during development then it will during each additional Episode.

What once was prime real estate could become distant lands later.

Leelu and Fister Magee like this.
  6. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I know, imagine when this all begins again, EVERY EPISODE!!!

7. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

To be fair, people are getting a LOT of customization on where their town goes. And you can still change your town location up to the final wipe (for a fee) if Portalarium feels the need to change the layout of Novia a little.

Originally we were told we could choose a quadrant and they would do their best to get your town in that quadrant (I presumed it would be according to some scheme that had a more organic layout of POT's on the map) and now people can say things like in the middle of the road (Paxlair) or up on the hill at X,Y,Z.

SeleneNoctua likes this.
  8. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Some scene locations aren't in the exact locations as seen in the hand-drawn map (which you show a part of in the image you included) because of one or more of these 4 reasons: the in-game and hand-drawn versions didn't match, or there was something in the way that disallowed access to a location (like a river or a mountain), there were too many scenes in a cluster and they needed to be spread out, or we made a mistake.

The placement of Verdantis on the south side of the Fallion river is a combination of reasons 2, 3, and 4. (Putting the logistical reasons aside, the mistake part was all me. Sorry about that.)

A few locations will be shifting around in the near future because Novia is being updated to better match the hand-drawn map (the shoreline will change, rivers will be thinner, mountains will shift, etc.). Once the update is done, the in-game continent and hand-drawn map will better match one another. Yes, Verdantis Foothills/Mines can be moved much closer to the location on the hand-drawn map. However, I can't place a scene in the middle of mountains (which is how it appears in the hand-drawn map), so it's still going not going to be exactly where the mine entrance is on the hand-drawn map.

The placement of Serpent Spine Foothills/Mines is actually pretty close to its spot on the hand-drawn map. It's unlikely this location will change after the in-game map updates.

9. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Aww damn, another dev stepping up for some thrashing! No mistakes are allowed!

Punishment: 2 shots of whiskey with no chaser

Spoon, Maka and Sannio like this.
  10. Scraps MacMutt

Scraps MacMutt Avatar

Thanks for your response, @Sannio! I really appreciate this information. In regards to the mine entrance location I understand that it's not feasible to place it exactly in the center of the northern mountain range due to access restrictions. Honestly, I expected to see a mine entrance placed on the eastern side of those mountains on the overland map along the road going from Jaxton, to the Highlands, to Foundation, and I expected the mine/zone entrance to be similar to the ones used for Owl's Nest, Etceter Mines/Crag Foothills, Spectral Mines, etc., for consistency. To me it makes more sense for a mine with important resources to be placed in close proximity to a major road as the official map shows. I also think this would go a long way towards making the overland map match the official map. I hope you and your team will give ample consideration to this suggestion. Thanks again! :)

Noric and Dantuin like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.