Instant House

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Escanaba, Sep 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escanaba

Escanaba Avatar

So was thinking about houses and towns (city’s, villages) day one empty field’s next thing people come running in and POP instant houses...

I am wondering if there should be a build period for house. I know everyone wants it now but maybe like a 24 hour window where wagons pull up to the lot, drop off building items, then the foundation pops up, walls, roof and then BAM a new house.

Maybe over 8 hours + or -, just so if I blink I don’t miss new house popping up.

The first few days it might be bad but later in the game it would be cool to see things changing not just appearing.

Vyrinor and BillRoy like this.
  2. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

It looks like they are all premade accept for the paint job. It will probably be instant.

But I like the idea, the bigger and fancier the longer it should take...and you should have to pay in-game gold to laborers for the construction.

3. Root2

Root2 Avatar

Building a house requires materials obviously so why not incorporate that into the game. Perhaps once you add your house deed onto a plot it builds the foundation but you then need to aquire a list of materials, say boards, hinges, ect and as each are assembled and added to the menu your building stage advances. This would help the crafting community and also make it seem more accomplished. Clicking a deed and WAHLA! insta house always seemed a bit lacking to me.

4. Escanaba

Escanaba Avatar

To me if you bought the house you bought the materials for the house. No just the plans on how to make it. But someone needs to deliver all of it and someone has to put it all together.

Heck over a few hours would be cool.

5. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I don't mind something like this. It could even take 24 hours but deduct 30 minutes for every neighbor who click on it.

Fifty likes this.
  6. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I would love to have houses build up and require resource collecting, but I don't think the Devs are taking this direction. I think houses will pop in when bought. However, if you move from one plot to another they did say there would be a time period for your house to be "moved", but no details on how that would work.

7. G Din

G Din Avatar

Wait , what ? How does a house building time sink improve my gameplay experience? Is it fun to stare at a plot for 24 hrs, watching a house being slowly, built while my wagon sits there full of trophies i'm eager to place?

Sure I could place the house then go do something else for a 24hr period, but whats the point?

Sir Stile Teckel and licemeat like this.
  8. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Not everyone enjoys the stick, but to some it enriches the reward.

[​IMG]

rild likes this.
  9. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

For me, it was a community thing. Like barn raising. I simply like the idea that people in a town form a community and help each other, strengthening the community. I don’t want to get to the “what if I don’t have 10 friends” level of Farmville. But I think if would be awesome if someone building something would even generate quests. So you see someone building and a quest pops up to gather 10 boards for them. Completing the quest build the house faster and also give you some token reward.

I’d be OK seeing and vendor for a PC store generating random quests which help both parties. And possibly some “culture points” for the town.

RelExpo likes this.
  10. Escanaba

Escanaba Avatar

No reason you can not start to use your house right away. Use the yard. 15 mins later the foundation is done and you can set up a table :) get people walking by to click on your sign at the house and build it faster. Be part of the town just dont hide inside.

11. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

Aye, I completely agree that building a house should take time AND materials. Sure, some people paid cash for a plot and house deed but to me, those are just for the area (plot) you claimed and the blueprints (deed). Why?

First day housing should look progressive, as if it is being settled, not just BAM! buildings everywhere because you had the disposable income to drop beforehand. Yes, in UO it only took gold to drop a house but this is NOT UO.

As Gunga Din sarcastically, but somewhat accurately, depicted a possible concern:
    This leads to the immersion vs convenience argument. 24 hours is a reasonable (somewhat quick) time to build a house. I understand in RL you just pay money to have a house built (unless you're Amish or Zeitgiest nowadays) but time is still needed. Materials too.

I do like Primerib's suggestion of involving the community to perform "quests" to speed up the process.

Perhaps we could even push that to somehow "reward" the neighbors if they're part of the same town.

Gunga Din [Pax] likes this.
  12. G Din

G Din Avatar

Always the politician, right Expo? lol. I'm just looking at it more in terms of priorities. The least of my concerns is how long a house takes to build or show. All ideas are good ideas and maybe the DEVs will take a look here and come up with something. Maybe a 15 min build period etc. Which I wouldn't mind, but nothing complicated.

13. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

It would nice if at least a few NPCs come up and build out something in a minute or two verses just having it appear out of nowhere. I used to love watching the quick build animations in RTS' and God games. Would also be nice to have collapse animations when you move or loose it through no rent or activity.

Maybe some community members will knock something out if its not in the plan. :p

RelExpo and Gunga Din [Pax] like this.
  14. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

If you guys want to spend real money and then have to spend added time and ingame materials on acquiring your house, go for it. I'm not really sure what it adds to the game myself (a brief time period between "placing" the house where it looks like timber framing and it being fully formed aside - that would look interesting and somewhat immersive I guess), but sure.

15. AuroraWR

AuroraWR Avatar

Consider, if you are not a RPer then a time sink to build your house is going to be obnoxious.

Also consider, if you are an RP person who would enjoy the immersion then you are a creative individual! You buy a plot of land and want the immersion.. so you contact your friends and set up some piles of logs or boards on your plot. Friends come o ver with more logs and maybe one sets up a milling table and you all hang around making boards. Maybe a bunch of farmer types harvest some hay/straw and bring piles over. Meanwhile people make or bring food. You eat. You rp out the house raising.. and finally after your personal event you click the house deed and your house is there.

Cost of a time sink, non-RP annoyance. Cost of instant pop up housing, RP annoyance. Using your imagination to please everyone... priceless. ;)

RelExpo, Umbrae and Gunga Din [Pax] like this.
  16. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

This would require the ability to hold a plot of land without having to build a house. Hoping thats the case as I will definately be doing this at the least.

17. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I want the Magical Building Company to have my house up in a single wave of a wand, and the Magical Moving Company to be there with my pledge rewards immediately thereafter.

I do not want realism in this at all.

Mishri likes this.
  18. AuroraWR

AuroraWR Avatar

Don't we have to buy a pot and house separately? I thought they were two different deeds. If that's the case, I should think we should be able to do things with our plot of land even before we put the house up, yes?

19. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Yes

AuroraWR likes this.
  20. G Din

G Din Avatar

Here, take my $150, i'd love to wait 3 weeks for my house to be built :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.