Instant House

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Escanaba, Sep 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Great Gunga! We can gather wood together! :)

Gunga Din [Pax] likes this.
  2. AuroraWR

AuroraWR Avatar

I will come help you both with the house raising.

Umbrae likes this.
  3. G Din

G Din Avatar

To hell with that, you gather the wood, i'll be at Firelotus Tavern having an Ale

Cheers...

Sir Stile Teckel and AuroraWR like this.
  4. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

*makes a sad face and drudgingly drags a log through the streets*

Gunga Din [Pax] and AuroraWR like this.
  5. Root2

Root2 Avatar

Well I feel that store/fundraiser homes should be excempt. It would be just one more perk for supporting the game.

6. G Din

G Din Avatar

No ! Everyone should suffer the build period !!!

7. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

I like the idea of this thread and I see both sides of the argument. My views on are similar to others that are on here.

• If you buy a House Deed you should not have to buy housing materials; however a 5 minute period to wait for your house to be built would hurt no one.
    • If there is a House Plan option, it should be cheaper, but require additional materials and time. This route could be more rewarding in many ways to both the location (city, town, and village) and the players. It has the possibility to add a whole new depth to the game in crafting, gathering, and interaction standpoints.
    *Possible player to player quests - Allowing a npc Overseer or something along those lines to be on the plot and offer to pay other players for doing stuff for the person building the house. Everything this NPC pays would be covered by the owner of the house.
    *NPC to player quests - For all the deeds sold a portion of the difference in those and a plan could be paid out to players that are interested in crafting and gathering for resource that would be used in construction. Allowing them to have an additional outlet to sell goods but not make as much as if they were sold to players. This could cause the said crafters to wander locations in search of people needing help to finish building there new house.

-If this is the case the House Plans should be cheaper than the House Deeds. This could allow the RPers to get their enjoyment and the instagratification generation to get theirs right now or close to it.

As for donation and pledge houses, it should be possible to make them either or since well, we really did pay for it so give us whatever we want.

Baralis likes this.
  8. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

Who... me? *glances about chuckling*

If not time, then supplies. If you pledged between X and Z you get A% resource/gold cost discount?

This would be awesome to see, regardless if it takes time/resources/gold. Take a minute or two to see the building being built. Obviously this would mean the Devs need to make new models for each stage of construction (2? Raw materials on plot, somewhat built) for each type of house foundation (such as wood, stone, ..)?

9. Baene Thorrstad

Baene Thorrstad Avatar

I wrote a system like this for the private shards Lara and I ran, with some slight differences from whats been proposed here:

• Entire towns needed to be built by the players. It required gathered resources (logs, ore, sand, clay, etc) as well as gold
    • Multiple people could provide "labor" for the building process. The more people working on the project, the faster the process would go
    • To work on the project, a player equiped a work belt, and then just needed to be within 20 tiles of the construction box, and you were "working". You could, in actuallity do anything you wanted to, so long as you remained within 20 tiles, and had the work belt equipped, and you wouls still provide labor to the project. This allowed people to roleplay anything they like while they worked.
    • Players working on the project were paid in gold for their time from the pool of gold required for the building costs
    • If there was gold in the building box that contained the gold and resources for the project, up to two NPCs would also spawn and help build, as if they were players
    • As the project progressed, the buildings would progressively be revealed, from the ground up. We were using UO tile based graphics, so all we did was display each building item graphic based on Z value to give the "idea" that it was being built from the ground up. This was fine, we didn't need any more than this, it was the process that was the important part.
    • On average, a small village, took around a week or two, depending on player participation to completely build
    This system was one of the best systems that got implemented in the opinion of many of our players, it provided a vast amount of roleplay, as well as a huge amount of actual investment in the town, as they actually helped to build it.

Now, this was a roleplay shard, with all the players, to one level or another, being roleplayers. This would obviously not be fun for everyone, but I, for one, and likely many in my guild, would. To know that we actually built our longhall, provided the resources, worked on it in game with our own hands, laughed, yelled and worked side by side until we could finally step back and look at it completed over a round of mead....now thats epic.

It would be a big undertaking. It would be alot of dev work. But if we could be provided the option, to place instantly, or the option to build it through a similar process as above, that would be heaven to me.

Knoxinn, RelExpo, BillRoy and 3 others like this.
  10. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

I'm personally hoping that once you choose a house design, a "foundation outline" is placed on your property. From there you could add the required resources to build the house. As you add more resources, the house visually looks more and more finished. It could allow friends/guild members to contribute to building your home.

For example, you choose to build a Edelmann house. It requires 1000 planks, 25 beams, 500 clay bricks, and 50 glass windows. As you contribute more to each of those resources, the house appears to be getting built. Maybe set stages at 25% intervals.

I like the idea of hiring NPC's/PC's to help accomplish some of the tasks.

Again, this is just my ideal of how it would be implemented.

AuroraWR and Baralis like this.
  11. stile

stile Avatar

Im with you.. Its day one release.. Im taking a vacation for release. I place my house, that i e spent a lot of money on... Now lets wait 24 hours to use it??? Ick

Maybe a a "scene" of things being delivered and it being built, played on a fast forward type mode that takes place over. 30 seconds? Thats cool.. But lets face it, thats a lot of unesccary animation the devs dont have the time to create for release 1.. So id say if a unity person wants that.. Make it and submit it.

Espada and Sir Frank KC like this.
  12. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I think you should have to place every single board and hammer every single nail, because, you know, immersion.

RelExpo likes this.
  13. Reigner

Reigner Avatar

Lol...I'm not that skilled, but I can slap mud and straw with the best of them! :-D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

14. Escanaba

Escanaba Avatar

I don’t think waiting some time (let’s say less than 24 hours for this example) is a big deal. Also for this example let’s say it is day one.

The game goes live 100,000,000 people log on and run to plots of land to calm as there’s. Next they pick out there house and click ok. Let’s say it is instant made. Now what? You have nothing to put in the house. No one has resource. So you’re going to stand in your house and look at the wall? No problems if you want to. Now if it is a 24 hour build you click on the land, clam it, pick your house and a wagon pulls up building supplies are moved on to the site. A bit later a foundation pops up then walls, a roof, and done.

Don’t get me wrong I am like anyone else I want it now :) but waiting let’s say 12 hours is not a big deal. Gives me time to walk around town and find a beer. After day one. Lets say a month later. Most plots are filled. I think it would be cool to see house built over a period of time and see who is moving in.

Could take it one step farther and place for sale signs when it is selling. :)

KillerBeeZ likes this.
  15. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Since these are "pre-made" you might as well just slap it down and get to playing the real game.

If you want to be creative and enjoy the creative process you could by a copy of Sims 2 or 3, or minecraft or Terraria and build houses all day and have your cartoon people live in them and decorate them, at least then, you'd have a genuine creation you made yourself.

16. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

I love how it goes from one extreme to another.

This is just further evidence of the wide range of players that will be playing.

Sir Stile Teckel and BillRoy like this.
  17. smack

smack Avatar

Indeed. For house pre-fabs that are purchased directly, it should simply be placed automagically. How that's done visually can definitely be expanded on depending on how much time the Devs can put into it. Fade in, pop in parts of it over time, instantaneous, animated construction in-place start to finish, NPC laborers carrying equipment in, etc.

I don't think a delay is absolutely necessary. Perhaps for those that want "immersion" for house placement, they can opt to choose (for example in some game menu):
    - Place my house immediately
    - Place my house over <x> game-hours

But it sounds like people want a house building mechanic beyond that, which I think is great but realistically don't see happening for Ep1.

Lord_Toast and Sir Stile Teckel like this.
  18. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

For me, it has nothing to do with immersion or realism. If I want that, I will go work on my real house. Waiting "x" number of hours is just plain silly. Once you meet the construction requirements, it should appear instantly.

For me, construction requirements is more about a sense of accomplishment over instant gratification.

There could always be an "easy" button. :)

It will be interesting to see how Portalarium approaches housing and crafting.

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  19. Baene Thorrstad

Baene Thorrstad Avatar

One point I did want to make clear about my idea and the system we had, it is NOT custom player housing. This process builds the pre-built house and buildings ONLY. This in no way allows the players to change what gets built.

I am actually very much against custom player housing :)

BillRoy likes this.
  20. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

What if PLAYER houses were (semi - meaning NPC animation/time lapse) instant but OFFICIAL GUILD HALLS took time and materials?

What's the difference between a player house used as a Guild Hall and an OFFICIAL Guild Hall? Player house Guild Halls would just have the functionality of a player house whereas an OFFICIAL Guild Hall could have things such as Guild Benefit Buffs, unique quests, etc.

Obviously there's going to be the complaint that it's "unfair" for a guild that took time, effort, planning, resources, etc to have extra benefits over the "little guy" but tbh... deal with it. That's what working cooperatively gets you... bonuses.

This could go for player towns, such as what Baene posted.

And I am NOT suggesting this to be done right away number 1 priority. No. Eventually. Some Episode down the line.

Fifty and Baene Thorrstad like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.