Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Quick FAQ on the new targeting stuff.

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by Chris, Apr 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elwe Thor

Elwe Thor Avatar

Am I wrong saying that a capital feature like that (I'm still calling it "a feature" and not "a bug") should have been introduced MUCH more softly and not forcing we, the players, to use it or do nothing?

Suggestion: re-enable the traditional targeting method, place an option to "enable the new one also", place a key binding to "toggle old and new targeting systems".

This way:
    1. players won't be angry, as we still have the old way available (I can read much anger here, much unsatisfaction, and much sadness)
    2. we anyway will test the new way, but not like this rude crash course, in more soft way, as (I think) very few of us are "pure mages" (or "pure ranged fighters), as we know the drawbacks of being that way
    3. we could give suggestions on how to make both systems better (our feelings) as I can see the pros of the new one, but I can see it's cons also (at least I'm able to read the forum uh ;))
    4. last but not least, remember we're bakers ((cit.) "A heartfelt thank you, from the entire Dev Team, to all of you, our backers, that have contributed to the development funding of Shroud of the Avatar!"), we paid you, you didn't pay us to be "testers": a little respect should be shown, I think... or was only words?
    just my two cents

2. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

For a short while the reticle was gone and instead there was a little dot thing. I liked that much better than the crosshair. On my screen it was easy to see, but less intrusive than the crosshair.

Quenton likes this.
  3. Skyo

Skyo Avatar

Love the new targeting can't wait to see the next version. Game has way more of a purposal feel to it. Can't wait to see v2 and further implementations!!!

Love It!!!

4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I'm glad I waited to reply.

At first I was utterly annoyed with this targeting system but I've become a custom to it. In fact it is more useful since I can target without clicking or tabbing. Also it gives me the sense of trying to aim a bow or ranged magic.

I have to admit I have tabbed out to the mouse mode but still use the target. I tabbed out because it is still more simple for me to click NPCs for chat and to have the mouse free to click off the help notifications. I dont like tabing back and forth so I just keep the mouse mode ...(maybe having a game option to check a toggle for an automatically return to the target only mode after a time of inactivity of the left click, because tabbing everytime I want to go back and forth ends up with me forgetting to tab back) ... I was using it for putting the cursor in chat too but have remembered to use the enter button for this. The main reason I am using the mouse is to click/stack glyphs. Pressing numbers is still not something I'm comfortable with and I have a 12 button mouse I can use but still haven't felt comfortable using numbers.

To be honest I really hope this continues to evolve to the point I use it all the time. Freeing up the right mouse button to move the avatar is really needed and I love that feature so that my left hand is free. However I still need to learn how to use that free left hand or perhaps some of the reasons I have tabbed out to mouse mode get easier to manage. Tips seem like they can easily be resolved by using up arrow down arrow and escape or something like that.

All in all I'm liking the direction this targeting system is going. I may consider buying a usb keypad just for sota as someone mentioned long before. For all I know the number thing is my personal issue or comfort zone. It would be more efficient if I could use the numbers.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    Hornpipe, Lord Baldrith and Skyo like this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I hate the new targeting even more than I did a week ago.

6. sake888

sake888 Avatar

I've adapted to about 90% to where I used to be during combat; it's way more engaging and exciting now. The heals targeting is another matter entirely. Why can't the "f" keys still be used just for targeting party members?

Skyo likes this.
  7. Hammershtein

Hammershtein Avatar

So will this new combat targeting fix the dual wield non dual wield attack ? seems kind of pointless to have it a capable to hold two weapons but never attack with them both?

Need to allow us to attack any time any where regardless of a actual target or not so we can choose to shoot a bow or a spell early and hit a running target. same with swinging a melee weapon allow us to just swing with no target so we can time it out self.

oh also why do I have to 4X click on a npc to talk to them in combat mode, but if I use the ui mode double click works perfect.
    I have keybind the auto attack to left mouse click and it works really well

8. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Ive tried some arrow spells and archery more recently and it feels better than the first time i tried it. I like that the target your going to hit flashes red so you know whats going to happen. didnt seem to have much difficulty picking targets out of a small group.

I tried it out again because a couple of guildmates of mine said that theys till wildly fling arrows off into the known and hit wolves ands tuff that they didnt mean to agro. I didnt have this issue, but i think i know why.

I wwas usign charged attacks and aiming hard hitting shots to kill thing. My guildmate was usign autoattacks i think, which would definately flign arrows all over the palce willy nilly. Autoattacks and rapidfire (i havent tested) seem liek they would be extremely difficult in this targeting system because you arent the one attacking, the game is attackign for you, but you are having to target thigns yourself.

9. Tracker

Tracker Avatar

Good catch on the "auto attack" option. I think your assumption may be correct. I've not had a problem with arrows flying off target for the most part, (unless I become "way" off from what I was trying to target) and I do use the charged attack feature mostly as I play an Archer. I'll have to test out your theory on auto attack and see how many critters I randomly kill. :)

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The problem is that you can't use cursor mode and free-attack mode at the same time because as soon as you press both mouse buttons down (the right button for mouse-look and the left button to charge your attack) then you start running forward.

11. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Mouselook mode holds the right mouse button down for you

12. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

I've been slaying a lot of rabbits and pulling additional mobs that aren't even near me. It seems like I have the reticle on the monster I'm fighting...even when I adjust the camera to be above the monster from more of a top view perspective but for whatever reason my spells will shoot off to another mob somewhere else.

Would be nice if there was more of an indication that tells me what target I'm locked onto...or if the system was a bit more target aided. Still getting used to it...

13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

And I absolutely hate mouse-look mode.

Bluefire and agra like this.
  14. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Excellent post, @Razimus and I agree completely with your assessment. :(

Razimus likes this.
  15. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Thanks. I quickly gazed through this thread didn't realize it could be hidden. Now that I know it can be hidden it's cooler. I mean, I wouldn't set it as default as 1 out of 1,000,000 users are going to login to the game wearing their VR goggles, I know literally zero people that own an Oculus Rift, but if I had to guess what type of gamers own one, they'd be in the realm of first person shooter and maybe Star Citizen. Wouldn't think it would be common among RPG gamers at all really, but I can see it as them being at a convention having 2 Oculus Rifts set up and it being a cool way to promote the features available in the game.

16. Lord Lew

Lord Lew Avatar

I think your being a bit naive with the 1 in a million users.. my rift will be here in two weeks, and as they finish off the pre-orders and they become available in stores more will have access. As people start to experience VR on their friends systems, they will be compelled to buy their own. Its truly a game changer, its simply where gaming is heading in the near future. Its better to be on board now or ready to board as its going to happen very quickly.

17. agra

agra Avatar

I've tried/used/demo'd every major VR system from the i-Glasses to the Oculus Rift and I have only one word to describe them all: gimmick.
    In over 20 years, I would never choose VR over a good quality monitor. It's intrusive, cumbersome, and adds almost nothing (qualitative) to the experience, in my opinion.

When it gets to an AR, wireless-powered, 4k per eyeball contact lens? I might change my mind. But not before. ;)

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  18. Lord Lew

Lord Lew Avatar

well you know what they say about opinions

Gimmick, that's funny.. please remember that when VR is the standard. I remember the CD was a gimmick

19. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Shroud currently has no plans to be VR capable.

KuBaTRiZeS and agra like this.
  20. agra

agra Avatar

I hope to be taking the long sleep before there's even the remotest chance that VR will be any kind of typical or standard equipment for gaming. ;)
    Good show though with the indirect personal attack on the poster, not the message, though. I needed a smile.

helm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.