1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Exciting News for the Shroud of the Avatar Community!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by FireLotus, May 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noric

Noric Avatar

Seconding this.

@Berek Are you taking over stuff like events or doing an online liaison kind of role? If the latter there is a lovely thread in which you could test your diplomatic chops :p

Welcome, in any case!

2. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thanks Noric!

Just about all of the above! I'll be leading our moderating efforts, driving both on-screen events like the Hangouts, and being a lead spokesperson for your questions and activities around the game. I'll be talking more with as many of you as possible to drive community generated content and events here on the official site, your fan sites, in the game, and on social networks.

My presence is only going to enhance your reach toward the developers, not the other way around. One of the general comments I've seen in the forums has been the need for more engagement with the team. Starr and others have been doing a stellar job at this already, so I will be working with them to find ways to only increase this engagement with you.

While I get situated over the next several days at the office, I could use all the help I can get in understanding your interests around the game. I want to know what excites you about SotA, concerns you have, and what you've created for the rest of the community to use. We'll be ramping up sharing news of your content, such as livestreams like NBNN, SotA Map updates, in-game events, player house decorating screenshots you submit in the forums... you name it!

3. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

Your first mission... Help us lunch a panty raid on the Shards Online people. We will show them who is king!

4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

As we move through the final wipe, I'd like to see an effort to capture and profile historic and meaningful roleplaying. All of the casual events and social activities are fine. But as we embrace a PERSISTENT world I would appreciate a celebration of hard work and impractful player interactions.

I want the world to be alive and the mundane to be ignored. Just because a handful of people are dancing in the same scene is meaningless. Let's try harder. Let's raise the bar.

5. Noric

Noric Avatar

Personally, you'll find i tend to contribute through testing skill bugs (often shield, bludgeon, or magic related) and writing massive posts about the current state of mechanics(often with lots of math) and how they are lacking (including some potential fixes).

More as a whole, two subjects i can tell you have pretty significant concern in the community at the moment are:

1. Exploit prevention software, policies, enforcement and repairing the damage from them as we approach a persistent server. (see https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...s/xxx-is-now-offline-xxx-is-now-online.50898/ )

2. The state of the economy and crafting in relation to unbreakable items once items are no longer wiped.
    (see https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/crafting-gear-economy-sustainability-as-we-approach-a-final-wipe-and-eventual-launch.50549/#post-553911 https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/crafting-economy.48792/ and several other threads which bring it up as well)

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  6. Berek

Excellent, thanks for pointing these out! Will take me some time to digest everything in the community, but I'll get right to reading these two now.

7. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Welcome Berek, buy some b12 stress tabs! lol Thanks for taking over this position. I will try and support you as much as my conscience will let me! :)

8. Phydra

Phydra Avatar

9. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Welcome @Berek, Congrats on your new position!

10. Kacey Cupcakes

Kacey Cupcakes Avatar

Deleted

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  11. Acred

Acred Avatar

Here's a second comment, @Berek , since you asked about our concerns.

There seems to be a high percentage of people who try out games and then move on. I am concerned about keeping those who start playing SotA coming back to play more often.

There are already some things being done piecemeal by folks who help those new players they run into and in a more organized fashion by the volunteers in the Player Help Center and by the Hospitallers.

I would suggest you ask @dallas to add you to the general Hospitallers' "Project New Player" conversation and to the "Hospitaller asking about New Player Handbook" conversation which currently is just between him and me.

12. Cassandra Corax

Cassandra Corax Avatar

Rhondda Cynon Taff South Wales United Kingdom
    Traditional British after dinner would be ...................Spotted **** .............

13. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Welcome and congratulations @Berek - you already have a taste of how awesome the community is. Totally look forward to having you as an integral part of the community. As @FireLotus will probably tell you, a headache pill might be needed now and then, but we're mostly harmless! We are without doubt full of passion for this game, and that can only be a good thing!

And as @Sophi has already stolen the prize, I'll say that a waffle cone is the only way to go with a choc-coated ice cream.....

14. Stahlknecht

Stahlknecht Avatar

Welcome Berek !

Duchess Fionwyn, Acred, Berek and 2 others like this.
  15. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I could write so many wot's, you'd be hating me in no time.

But one thing I'm urged to ask you. Poke your new pals at Portalarium with a stick and have them explain you how the game is supposed to work.

I know that Starr and Chris and Richard have their hands very full, but as your public we're often left in the dark about how the various mechanics - not just the diminutive details of implementation and formulae - are designed to function. And if they're working as intended, or, for specific aspects, we're still in placeholder mode.

This vagueness can be applied to a godzillion different subsystems: economy, combat, crafting, storyline, housing... You name it and there's still some obscure (= not sufficientily described in depth, due to understandable lack of time) facet that we're collectively very perplexed about.

I consider you what in milspeak would be called Liaison Officer (LNO *), and fully expect you to bridge the gap between Portalarium's whiteboards and general player base understanding.

Best of luck for your job!
    ___
    (*) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liaison_officer
    Edit: actual spelling of LNO

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  16. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~+1 to All of the Above~:rolleyes:
    It's difficult as our community grows to grasp such a position as yours and I so much hope you find it rewarding!
    And if you ever need an extremely unreliable chaotic, "you can always count on me!" :D
    Good Luck @Berek ! :)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

17. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Welcome to the team @Berek !

I believe that relieving these community related duties from @FireLotus at this point is an excellent idea. Not that she wasn't good at it, but because it's crunch time and she needs more time to devote to developing NPC's and such to make this game awesomer. So having someone else be a liason of sorts between the Devs and the rest of us, the job still gets done and the burden (and time) is lifted from Gina's workload.

Just from reading your few responses in this thread, I can tell that you're extremely passionate about this new role. Your posts are informative, yet easy to read, follow, and comprehend. Those skills will help you accomplish your task here and I have no doubts you will be able to handle the job.

Good luck! And I look forward to seeing you be the glue that holds this community together! ;)

18. Berek

Will do, great idea Acred.

Will do my best to help bridge that gap!

Excellent, thanks Time Lord!
    We'll make sure that glue sticks! :)

19. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

The thing I've found most helpful in a Community Rep, regardless of the game its been for, is someone who doesn't hesitate to ask questions. Too often, something seems apparent but actually either isn't being communicated like the person means, or isn't working as expected. Text can't convey tone, sarcasm is hard to show, and context is often missing. So just clarify what you see, and that often helps both the community and the developers communicate more seamlessly.

Also, don't hesitate to ask for help. We have a HUGE community, that is very passionate about the game, but also quite skilled. If you want something done, I'm sure it will get done. We just need a direction. (And somethings, a director.) ;)

Dantuin, Ancev, Berek and 6 others like this.
  20. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Absolutely. And theres no shortage of us which will happily help guide things if need be. Definitely feel free to ask questions, youll likely get no shortage of answers =p

Dantuin, Ancev, SeleneNoctua and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.