Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Why Can't You Use Dash on the Overworld Map?

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by Vyrin, May 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Just sayin'.

2. Selene

Selene Avatar

Only spell you can use on the overland map is the light spell. You also can't eat, summon a pet, or swap decks. ;)

Vyrin likes this.
  3. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

Because u suddenly turn into an unintelligent ultra dumb avatar as soon you enter the world map :/

Vyrin and SeleneNoctua like this.
  4. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

All I'll say is ... coconuts. :)

5. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

To keep everyone on an even playing field with regard to moving goods across the world. Mounts and vehicles should be the only movement modifiers that affect long distance travel.

Edit: Except, of course, if they re-implement slowing modifiers for travel through the wilderness.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
    EMPstrike, Noric and Fister Magee like this.
  6. redfish

redfish Avatar

Because then you're running long distance... although I think the duration of skills on the OW should be cut down and then it might be okay. But then the duration of Light spells would also be cut down, too.

I'm thinking eventually it will make sense to allow you to stealth and camouflage on the OW.

Noric, Gix and Time Lord like this.
  7. Balandar

Balandar Avatar

I have bad knees, good thing this avatar body has such fantastic endurance to run across a continent in like 7 minutes flat!

8. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

I think they should let us zoom in closer and add basic vermin to get hides from and allow us to fish and mine and chop tree's and leave the zoning into areas for hunting bigger prey... but hey thats just me what do I know

Sheamus McGuinness and Time Lord like this.
  9. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

Fatigue.

You're already moving at top speed.

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  10. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

I could understand not using dash while mounted. However, if mounts don't keep everyone on an even playing field, I don't see what the problem with dash is. And dash is harder to use because it's limited duration.

Back way back when the magic system was not implemented, I had hoped that it might apply to more than just combat. In other words, that magic would have a variety of uses. Right now, light and maybe a few other spells offer only a minimal use of magic outside combat.

Learning skills should confer benefits, and I would see no problem if mages were using dash to speed goods across the world (hey teleport scrolls too, right?) There's really no good reason not to allow it.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Noric

Noric Avatar

Dash is still lot bigger of a boost than coconuts and between dash and sprint you would be giving certain trees a major advantage on travel.

I'll agree about noncombat magic being good, but not this case.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

You already can, if you back up against a mountain and pull your camera down. VoilĂ ! Third-person full 3D. I don't know why we can't go into that view ourselves, if we want. I really don't mind the fact that the buildings in towns come up to my knees. ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

That's what skills/bonuses do - they give them to some and not others. Is this not excessively egalitarian? Besides, the major barrier to travel is not speed but control points.

I'll chalk this up to the general desire to argue.

Fister Magee and Time Lord like this.
  14. Noric

Noric Avatar

Okay, suppose skills are meant to differentiate players, what does a 30 second buff have to do with presumably long distance travel? Are we supposed to assume that the SoTA setting expects mages to travel by casting the same spell multiple times a minute for hours on end?

Furthermore, if insignificant, why do you want increased speed on the world map? Considering control points are the slowdown and you already have increased speed in them, doesn't that mean the skill is already differentiating you?

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

It's not even close to a 30 second buff. Just like coconuts, it's a convenience to spend less time in travel. It doesn't take hours on end to travel the map, but still dash would be a minor convenience. When I'm in a scene, I routinely hit dash over and over (easy with the hot key) so I can speed to my location.

Maybe try it yourself in game first and then let me know what you think.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
    Time Lord likes this.
  16. Noric

Noric Avatar

So you're saying that instead of only casting a speed buff 120 times every hour of travel nonstop you want the game to act like mages are doing more than that?

I am well aware of the advantages of using speed buffs(particularly when macro'd), but that is disconnected from what the overworld actually means. Aside from the absurd Monty Python reference, people actually USED horses for long distance travel. Most fantasy setting designers might suffer heart attacks at the prospect of mages casting combat spells repeatedly thousands of times as their primary form of long distance transport.

Finally, you are still trying to have it both ways in terms of utility. Either casting the spells is convenient OR casting the spells is inconsequential. My experience with speed buffs in this game leads me to believe they are definitely convenient, but far more impactiful than coconuts.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Gix

Gix Avatar

I know you weren't talking to me specifically, but I use Dash all the time and I'm not a fan of the idea of using it in the world map. Why? Because I don't like the idea that players can circumvent the system even if it's "merely" for convenience's sake. If devs really wanted us to travel the map rapidly, then they would've done so already. As a matter of fact, they're working to re-implement the mechanic of slowing people down based on encumbrance and terrain.

Enabling Dash would mean that everyone essentially should use Dash... kinda like how the Light spell is so popular right now... which I'm not a fan of.

Time Lord, Fister Magee and Noric like this.
  18. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Where did I say it was inconsequential? Please read my comments again. This is argument for the sake of argument.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Is it circumventing the system when I use it to get rapidly around a city like Owl's Head? Unless you're arguing that dash should be a combat-only spell, there's no inherent difference using it to speed around a scene vs. the overworld map. I love using it to speed the dreary task of getting from the gate to my home in Resolute. What is the "system" we would circumvent by using dash on the overworld map? It's not regional economies because that's defined by control points.

And if it was going to be something everyone would choose like light (and it's not like light because it's not the first skill in the air tree) then everyone would be choosing it to get quickly through scenes right now. I still don't see the harm in a little bit of convenience for those who choose to use the air magic skill tree. And I think that is the sticking point here. People are fearing that this confers some huge benefit rather than a bit of convenience and so want to argue against it.

Who knows whether the devs have thought in detail about the other skills beyond light, unless someone can point to a reference?

Time Lord likes this.
  20. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, I really still think low-tier spells should be tied to reagents. People have to got to have a reason to use torches over Light and potions over Healing Touch.

There's still the Sprint skill in Light Armor tree though, so there's a similar thing there. My view is just that the game should be adapted to the map scale, when you're on the map. Food effects should eat up faster, torches should eat up faster, etc. So, if they allow us to use those skills at all, same thing.

Time Lord, Vyrin and Noric like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.