Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Meticulous Gathering

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by r-DotPhunky, May 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r-DotPhunky

r-DotPhunky Avatar

Question: Why do I need to wait for a second whole cycle of <insert gathering skill> to complete a meticulous collection?

It would seem to me that if I did roll a "bonus" on the collection that I'm actually being penalized as I now have to wait twice as long to complete the action. I get the idea behind why we wait for the cycle twice - but I truly think it comes off as a penalty.

I'd like to suggest a compromise between the two.

The animation for a swing of the pickaxe seems to take about ~2 seconds to complete. Using this as a baseline, my suggestion would be to add ~4 seconds (two swings) to the gathering time per level of meticulous collection. This way we still wait a bit longer to get the extra resources... but it's not an obnoxious event to behold.

Thanks for reading!

2. agra

agra Avatar

Why? Because the stick is more fun than the carrot, apparently? o_O

There's no logical reason for the punitive implementation of meticulous gathering. You can't get the same rares, you don't get more XP, and you can't crit meticulous. It's also been nerfed down to I think a 17% chance at halfway to the old soft-cap (75/150) so it's apparent they feel it's overpowered for some reason.

Sadly, all of this conflicts with requiring hundreds of basic resources (ore/ cotton/ leather/wood ) for a single set of armor or weapon, so it's rather confusing what their ultimate design goal really is.

To directly answer your question though, it's probably old/stale/hard-coded values in the code (rather than lookups), as a consequence of attempting to balance harvesting times against the moving target of crafting changes, and failing badly.

3. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

harvesting rates are being looked at, and the idea behind meticulous is only to get more resources out of a limited supply without having to wait for respawn. You used to be able to get crits on meticulous harvest as well, i havent paid much attention lately

4. Noric

Noric Avatar

You can still crit on meticulous.

I'm less concerned about the rares and time (being meticulous about something does take time), but i really hope they address the xp downside soon.

5. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Nothing worse than getting the meticulous triggered as the wolf respawns and takes notice of you. Get interrupted during the second cycle and you get NOTHING!
    Happened way too many times... sorry for the loud word.

6. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

During your meticulous if you see a respawn take a step away. you can just loot the harvest and receive what you had acquired, without losing it all ( you wont get the bonus unless you finish) this is EXTREAMLY helpful if your on met 8 or 9 and something spawn.. least you get the base + first 7

7. r-DotPhunky

r-DotPhunky Avatar

My daily life in the mines: A mining I will go... a mining I will go... ahhh crap meticulous collection.... *earth element spawns* C'MON!! :)

This is true - you can step away and get whatever meticulous items you have so far - I have to be fair in my criticism and say that this is true.

When one is running about 65% success on silver nodes and the mining takes 40+ seconds per pass... a MC x3+ has you waiting for 2+ minutes all while a respawn timer ticks away. I've had experiences where I kill a mob... start a harvest - and it respawns before I even finish the MC I've rolled. Ooof.

Leelu and FrostII like this.
  8. agra

agra Avatar

Are you certain?

I've never seen a shorter harvesting time on a multiple Meticulous.. Have I been unlucky for over a year?

Leelu and Ice Queen like this.
  9. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

In the current Implementation meticulous is a bad thing on some skills.
    I'm thinking about dropping it completely on Mining, better to not have it proc and move on to the next node.
    Foraging, and Tree chopping where the nodes are much futher apart, I'll probably keep it.

Leelu and Noric like this.
  10. Noric

Noric Avatar

I am moderately sure. However, i am not likely going mining today so i will not be checking.

11. Net

Net Avatar

I hate meticulous tools, even without time gathering penalty, you get meticulous and have to wait extra 30 seconds each time, worrying something will respawn... I am all for meticulous math being instant.

One tiem I got Meticulous x19 on a tree*. I spent like 15 minutes chopping it, it is crazy long and in the end you get xp only once, so it is really hard to improve your producer level if you prefer meticulous.

* Using True Bronze harvesting axe in R29

PS: I saw crits on meticulous, but they are rare and not worth speaking of.

PPS: we need skill improving crit chance on gathering instead of survey.

12. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

True. Almost instant on success.. seen it twice that I can remember in all my time of testing.

Leelu, r-DotPhunky and Noric like this.
  13. agra

agra Avatar

Alrighty then, rare it is!

Leelu likes this.
  14. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

If you move before the wolf disturbs you, then you finish and get all the collection, but if the wolf disturbs you, you lose it all and need to start again... FYI... I alway turn my camera while gathering saved a lot that way...

15. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Because it's about the node NOT being destroyed, so you just do another try at the same node and roll for more bonuses... In the higher skul areas, and high skill, you almost always get 2 ore/wood from a single try, sometimes 3, when coupled with 5 or 6 meticulous collections, that's a lot of stuff from 1 node...

16. r-DotPhunky

r-DotPhunky Avatar

Thanks... I'm keen - I just don't agree.

If I were imagining myself in this world mining away... and I got some kind of "bonus"... I'd see that bonus straight away as I mined the node... in my mind you'd just need "a few more whacks" to get the extra ore out.

But hey if you don't agree that's fine... it's just an opinion. I just don't happen to think sitting at my PC for 2+ minutes collecting a "bonus" is fun.

agra likes this.
  17. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

I have seen a crit on Meticulous, but only on the first dig, I don't recall ever seeing a crit on the meticulous extended rolls. (not saying they don't happen, just haven't seen/noticed them)
    But I am watching for them now.

r-DotPhunky and agra like this.
  18. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

If you hadnt got one in over a year then you are unlucky, or you are only harvesting nodes you dont have well over a 50% chance to harvest. I havent seen one lately but i have seen them before. Crits are very rare even with 70% success chance, but at that level they do happen.

At 100% success chance u still only have 25% chance to crit i think.

19. agra

agra Avatar

That's been my experience thus far as well. But knowing it's as rare as others have observed is sufficient for me.

r-DotPhunky likes this.
  20. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

You can definitely crit on meticulous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.