What craft skills do you want to see?

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Jack Knyfe, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. God

God Avatar

I think it would be really cool to have to physically use certain items in order to create something.. Maybe like having to click certain hot spots on a blade to hit it with the hammer, or long clicking a vial to pour a set amount of a chemical into another to mix a potion.. You get the point.

That keeps people from botting or macro'ing to GM. Everyone would have to be at the computer actually going through the motions of creating an item.. In order to get your skill up, you would actually have to do something. Not saying that any of you guys don't do that, but it would get rid of the chance of it.

Krovakin likes this.
  2. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

I am seeing some really good suggestions in here. I think I'd like to see a different approach to it though than other games have done. Rather than make crafting a bunch of external skills, why not make internal skill trees? For instance, instead of having things like Tailoring and Leather Crafting as separate skills, make Tailoring a single skill with associated skills inside the tree like Cloth Making and Leather Crafting. This will help keep skills together and may make for a better skill learning system. This will also help cut down on the amount of single skills that are when we need quality over quantity. There is a such thing as going overboard and a game can only do so much. Things like book binding would be better suited as a sub skill of inscription.

I'd also like to see skill trees based on what they do...
    Resource Gathering (which would include skills like Fishing, Mining, Farming, etc), Carpentry (Woodworking, Bowcraft, ect), Metalcraft (Armourer, Swordsmithing, Tinker, Locksmith, etc)... things like that.

Mordecai likes this.
  3. rild

rild Avatar

try the veal!

Reigner and Sir Frank KC like this.
  4. namas_pamus

namas_pamus Avatar

Specialization is really what I would like to see. Not many trees but lots of branches. If you are say a tinker and want to dedicate yourself in shield making, your shields should (after a time) be better than those of someone who did not specialize. So crafters can become unique or almost, and reputed for their speciality.

What I would not like to see is a system where you (or a bot) can reach the max level in any skill in some 10 hours, with soon youtube videos showing how to do it the fastest.

A passive system à la EvE Online, when a bit strange at first, carries, I think, a lot of justice between players. To sum up it takes monthes to max out a branch and you almost can't speed things up. As it's passive, "having a life" is not a huge disadvantage either.

Also some sub-skills could require initiation, teaching. As teachers would be spread across the world many quests could be based on meeting them and making them accept to share their knowledge.

Agree a lot with this, especially if, as Mugly_Wumple said, the mini-games take real skill and practice, and affect (effect? hmm) final quality. You could always miss a piece, and all would not be exactly the same. A hybrid system between this and more traditional skills would be great.

rild likes this.
  5. AuroraWR

AuroraWR Avatar

I am also a fan of skill trees. It makes sense you should master some skills before others. It also allows for more specialization which will help keep one blacksmith from becoming a monopoly. You know smith A makes amazing swords while smith B is really great with armor. I think it will promote RP.

Jossy and Mystic like this.
  6. Chuzpah Goodfellow

Chuzpah Goodfellow Avatar

3 Skills for me! Fishing....Fishing.....and more Fishing....;)

BillRoy likes this.
  7. rild

rild Avatar

Glassblowing and glazing / stained-glass for window making

AuroraWR and Reigner like this.
  8. Tizon

Tizon Avatar

ditto

9. Krovakin

Krovakin Avatar

I think that Hearding would be a good skill if done right! In UO it was ok but it didn't play a major role in the game. I think that you could somehow add it in.. Maybe herd animals you can later sell to players and vendors who need the meats and pelts.

resurection or clergy could be a skill. You could be able to resurect players in range, but for them to do so they would have to pay a fee that would be given directly to the players bank. (Just a thought)

Inventor - You could learn to combine products from different skills to make a better item. For instance a wodden sword with Iron ore to create a metal sword. It could be used for people to upgrade the properties of their gear to something better without having to craft another from scratch.
    Another way to go could be to make things in the game unavaiable at the start until inventors learn them and sell the recipes to other skill trades.

These are just a couple thoughts.

rild likes this.
  10. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I fish in every game that allows it (there aren't really that many), that's the main "production" skill I'm concerned with. I'll do other harvesting on my way to and from fishing locations, but fishing, fishing.

11. Dracowyr

Dracowyr Avatar

Great suggestions!

I'm very much looking forward to a well-planned and developed crafting system in SotA. One of the best crafting systems I've seen in an MMO is in Star Wars Galaxies.

Crafting
    Blacksmithing
    Tailoring
    Leathercraft
    Woodworking
    Stonecarving
    Cooking
    Alchemy/Mixology
    Gemcrafting

Gathering
    Miner
    Woodcutter/Lumberjack
    Hunter
    Herbalist
    Fishing

Instead of seeing a system where say a Blacksmith would reach a skill level off 100, then be able to choose and advanced specialization, etc...I would like to see a more open system, where making something simply requires 'knowing' the process - like making a hammer. BUT your skills grow with each individual item, so if you are a Blacksmith and make 10,000 hammers...you would make some of the best hammers around, and would essentially become known as a Hammersmith'.

This would allow you to work as broad or as focused as you wanted. Do you want to create materials and set up a shop with a little bit of everything, or do you want to become known as the best hammersmith in the land?

Knoxinn likes this.
  12. Knoxinn

Knoxinn Avatar

Hmmm...has anyone mentioned Poisoning? In many games I've found that Poisoning really helps newbs to mid-tier players. However, poison, in most games, somewhat peters out at high end. In any event, I love the stuns, the DoT's, and the leeches. Poisoning unusual objects (food, water supplies, doorknobs, traps, etc) can really lead to some good quests and nice RP. And I would like to see it separate from Alchemy. It can be varied enough and cool enough to stand on its own.

As for fishing...I'm all in as well. However...not a fan of fishing up a huge sea monster while sitting on a city pier. I don't want to fish in full armor. Fishing up a message in a bottle that tells of a location that may have a sea monster; much better.

13. Robby

Robby Avatar

How can cooking be a useful skill though... I always found it so useless.

14. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

A lot of games food gives you stat temporary boosts or buffs.

In EQ2 you used to have to keep food and drink in slots to maintain stats bonuses.
    In GW2, you get stat boosts and exp bonuses, higher quality/level food gives you better and/or longer boosts.
    Some other games you use food and drink to recover health and mana after fights at a faster rate than you would naturally regenerate it.

It depends on the game, but if it's part of the mechanics it can be pretty important to learn it or use NPC vendors to get it.

AuroraWR likes this.
  15. Escanaba

Escanaba Avatar

Always hate games that dumb down things just to make you do something for a boosts.

16. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Making you do something extra is the opposite of dumbing down, isn't it?

I think adding un-nessesary hoops to jump through just so people can brag about what good hoop-jumpers they are and a game can brag about what a superior hoop-jump they put thier customers through is weak. But that's what the food buff thing is really, adding extra details just for the sake of having a lot of details.

Dombing down is stream lining, I'm all for stream-lining...I'm all for dumbing down. The dumber the better.

17. Owain

Owain Avatar

Depends on how it's managed. In Skyrim, for example, cooking is pretty useless unless you are running a mod. Potions provide better buffs.

I would prefer it if cooking/eating/drinking counteracted debuffs connected with hunger/thirst. Don't eat for a week, you get very weak. Don't eat for a month, or drink for more than a few days, you run the risk of dying, depending on conditions.

BillRoy likes this.
  18. rendix

rendix Avatar

Could cooking be made useful by making it an alternative path to alchemy?

Some food, for example, could cause a heal over time versus an instant replenishment from an alchemists heal potion?

19. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Good idea, and to add to it people who use (or abuse) alchemy could have negative affects and possibly have negative things happen as a result of addiction and withdrawls. Just like in FallOut3, you need alchemy but it takes it's toll.;)

But really, as far as health and mana go, it's good to have two routs to go, maybe each offering something slightly different or being aided by different job/classes, like hunter/ranger/fighters having better access to meat foods and wizard/necromancer/priest having better access to alchemy supplies and work areas.

AuroraWR likes this.
  20. rendix

rendix Avatar

When you word it like that it makes perfect sense to me.

BillRoy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.