1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Gold Crowns of the Obsidians

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

[​IMG]
    We introduced Crowns of the Obsidians (COTOs) as rare items back in Release 28. COTOs drop from almost any activity, with higher occurrences on higher level creatures and resource nodes. They come in several different metal types, and each type can be exchanged for specific types of items. In Release 29, we introduced Potions of the Obsidians that could be purchased with COTOs, and these grant various temporary boosts to things like carry capacity or gathering speed. In Release 30, we added the ability for COTOs to restore Maximum Durability to items and also added Crown Merchants to the game, which allow you to exchange the various COTO types for Obisidian Potions or Gold COTOs. Gold Crowns of the Obsidians are unique in that they can be sold to any merchant in game for gold and now, starting today, they can also be purchased directly from our website or through Add On Store Bundles like the new Viking 2-Story Row Home Bundle.

[​IMG]

As you have probably surmised, Gold Crowns function as a premium currency for Shroud of the Avatar. As we expire all our pledges and move towards a commercial launch, hopefully near the end of this year, we must also move to a commercial model of monetization. As promised, we are not going to be adding a subscription nor are we planning to make the game free to play. However, as an online game, we must have a steady stream of income (in addition to base game sales) in order to pay for support of the game including monthly updates, bandwidth, servers, community support, etc. Our analysis shows us that Add On Store item sales will not be sufficient. When we have been asked for examples in the past of models we wish to emulate or that we admire, we always point to Guild Wars as an example of a Pay to Play with an Add On Store as the closest archetype to what we hope to achieve. Selling Gold Crowns and allowing those Crowns to be exchangeable in game for Gold currency and potions with game benefits (like repairing of maximum durability) is something we believe is a good and fair balance of revenue while still maintaining play-ability and player economy. We are working hard to ensure that the purchased items from Crowns are all matters of convenience, not power. For example, the Obsidian Potions do things like small increases to carry weight, slightly longer sprint times, or slightly reduced gear wear. It is of course worth remembering that since Crowns can be earned in game, no player will ever be required to purchase them, making them purely a time saver and convenience.

As part of this introduction, we have added Gold Crowns to all Pledges. The amount of Crowns added to each pledge is based on the size of the pledge and is as follows:

• First Responder, Second Responder, Pioneer, Adventurer: 2
    • Immortal Adventurer: 3
    • Founder: 4
    • Royal Artisan: 5
    • Virtual Collector: 6
    • Explorer, Explorer - All Digital: 7
    • Collector: 8
    • Patron: 12
    • Ancestor: 15
    • Navigator: 20
    • Developer: 25
    • Citizen: 30
    • Edelmann, Edelmann - All Digital: 31
    • Knight: 35
    • Knight Marshal: 40
    • Lord: 45
    • Lord Marshal: 50
    • Baron, Baron 2, Baron 3: 65
    • Duke: 90
    • Lord of the Manor, Lord of the Manor 2: 200
    We greatly appreciate your support on our need to expand the availability of Crowns. While we know that Crowns have already been discussed in the forums in the past on their purpose, and some may find them less than desirable to have in the store now, please keep your comments and thoughts civil here.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2016
  2. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I knew it. :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  3. Noric

Noric Avatar

Not sure I'm happy to see gear repair tied to an RMT item...

4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

In the past, it was mentioned that Obsidian Crowns might also be used for special rare events (I believe, I'm not sure of the exact wording). I got the impression that one might be able to get new "skins" that add cosmetic effects to a character, for example a player might in the future be able to use crowns to purchase a dark aura that surrounds the character, or weapon. Anything else you can comment on regarding this type of use for crowns?

5. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

Oh oh oh oh.. now I have someting I can spend my credits on.. thank you

Melissa, Dantuin, Ice Queen and 2 others like this.
  6. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Looking good. A bit concerned this devalues the Ancestor pledge although that tax free deed is placeable outside a POT.

I do wish those Viking Row houses could be purchased without a package. Although ultimately saving me some cash by making them a $275 minimum buy in.

7. Drocis the Devious

BTW, the Viking bundles are awesome looking!

8. DarkStarr

Yes those are definitely the kinds of things we want to add.

9. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

So the Gold Crowns of the Obsidians are the premium currency, which makes sense I suppose. Is there any difference, other than cosmetic, between these and the other metallic Crowns of the Obsidians?

The Viking bundles come with the game, row lots, and some additional gear. Is there any chance we will see a Viking bundle with just Helm, Cloak, Chest, and Raven for those of us that already have a pledge?

10. agra

agra Avatar

11. DarkStarr

You sure did. We noted this internally as one of the few folks who had put it together early.

12. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Eve has PLEX, Cryptic games have ZEN, Guild Wars 2 has Gems, and the list goes on... That list I briefly mentioned begins with a game from 2003 and is primarily a sandbox game, the next a classic theme park set of games, and variations in between.

Not shocked at all that this comes into the mix, and is a part of that "modernization" we always hear about. :)

Melissa and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  13. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Sounds good, inevitable, and fair! Glad we can earn them in-game!

14. Curt

Curt Avatar

Swap the blue spruce in the viking bundles for european spruce

charlesvon03 and enderandrew like this.
  15. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

+1

16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

JUST ONE QUESTION??? can I use my coins I buy now and will they be returned to me after the wipe????

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  17. DarkStarr

Certain items in-game are only purchase-able with certain metals (like the potions for instance).

We are discussing other possible smaller bundles like you suggest.

18. Drocis the Devious

Obsidian Bundle: (don't resell the cloak!)
    • Skull Candles
    • Dark Robes
    • Obsidian Row Lot
    • Dark Weapon Aura
    • Obsidian Books of Knowledge (lore)
    • Burnt out Obsidian Shards
    • Obsidian Imp Combat Pet
    :)

EDIT:
    • Obsidian Dungeon Style Basement (with cells)
    • Obsidian Sigils
    • Haunting Aura (Frightening Spirits circle the character)

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  19. DarkStarr

Yes your coins will be returned after the wipe

20. Astor Cerberus

Astor Cerberus Avatar

I understand the need to support the game in the long-term (many many years hopefully) so I'm all behind a system like this. The fact that they can be found in game takes away some of the P2W argument that keeps getting brought up.

I think a big driver of the success depends on the balance. If a crown is $1 but the average gaming time to get one is 20 hours it will end up driving a player to spend a dollar to repair vs 20 hours of grinding to do it.

Good plan @DarkStarr - please don't screw it up ;)

Astor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.