"Player driven economy" Tradeable golden crowns sold in the addon store.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jackdepirate, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

We're 2 months from server persistence. Launch is planned for the end of the year.

Fister Magee likes this.
  2. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

I would much rather pay a subscription than see these crowns on the add on store. It is a HUGE mistake...

Now everyone is going to have millions of gold from selling crowns. This is so bad I want to cry LOL!!

3. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

Agreed.

I really miss the old days. Pay money, get game. Or pay ongoing subscription money, get more for game.

All players were on equal ground.

4. Jackdepirate

Jackdepirate Avatar

That's what you need to have a long standing MMO.(Equal ground player base) Alot of people that play these pay to win (or micro transaction) type models, tend to play for a little while and grind it out, gets frustrated after grinding for a while because they see how easy it is if they just spend a little bit of money. Then they can get everything they want to get, but miss out on the experience of actually earning those items through in game methods. Eventually there's no reward for playing, because you've just purchased everything you need, you start to get a little bored because your play experience differs from the population that doesn't purchase. Then when you stop spending that money and start to play the game, it feels so much slower because you've been spoiled and you look for a different game. I've seen it happen in so many games, I just don't want it to happen here too. It kills long standing player base, and it ends up just being new people unable to compete with the people consistently purchasing whatever currency it is, as the new players come and go with a higher turnover rate than a call centre.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  5. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

It's also the old "whale" P2P illusion. So many people invest so much on their own, that once they are unhappy, they leave the game and take the foundations with them. The majority will not support it because they spend as little as they can.

You know your decision is a bad one when people are trying to sell $5000 pledges in the forum. :/

Jackdepirate likes this.
  6. Brickbat

Brickbat Avatar

The primary result is that they have set a "max cap" for the exchange rate of gold for $ by third party who are forced to go under Portalarium's Oh by the way NPC vendors buy the GCotO for this much gold.

7. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

You do realise that nearly Everything bought on the cashshop can be sold ingame right ? This has been possible since the start so anyone can sell anything and get a boost.

Still I think its a bad move having them on the cash shop as this is an ingame consumable that has a direct effect on the economy and balance. These should only be farmable ingame Imo and highest drop by
    far should be in PvP zones and only accessable when in online mode.

Miracle Dragon, Oba Evesor and Budner like this.
  8. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

except that wasn't exactly true. we had 3rd party sites that would sell just about anything. I do believe they should and maybe they are trying to cut out the middle man.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  9. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

towards the end, Use to buy a lot of Uo tokens from the store and just resale them in game.

10. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

thats so hard pay to win and clearly a word break from port that this game never will be pay to win.

11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Then you meet someone that earned all the same things in game and you lose in Pvp. That person takes some of your gear or you pay the ransom with your bought gold.

That person didn't pay to win. It was earned in game.

The definition of P2W creates a situation where paying gives a significant advantage over those that do not pay.

Paying to skip the grind is not P2W.

12. Fredrick FlameGrinder

Fredrick FlameGrinder Avatar

13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

If the potion buffs disapear on death. That's where I will be looking for the door.

14. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

If you've never played UO Forever or Conquer Online, or a similar MMO with a purchasable alternate currency, you will not have much of an example to work with concerning such an alternate currency. It isn't a bad thing. In fact, without these Gold Crowns as a $$$ currency it's very possible SotA would not be funded into Chapter II let alone III. Now Perhaps there are enough resources to go to Chapter III with what has been raised so far, but if I were in charge things would be different. A new engine would be used. The game would be ultra-realistic and would look closer to Gloria Victis, but ultra-realism isn't too popular I guess, everyone wants a Warcraft cartoony game. I'm glad it's not too cartoony, until you see the Lich, the Lich is str8up out of WoW in my opinion, but I digress, the alternate currency isn't a bad thing. Play Conquer Online, understand the Dragon Ball concept, Play UO Forever, Understand the Forever Coins concept. You'll see. Having the ability to virtually 'mine' in-game a currency that actually has value will reward the players. The only thing we need watch out for are botters, gold-sellers, and the like. But the average every day player who only wants to play to have fun, will be rewarded for hunting for a few hours, when they find a Gold Crown in-game, because that item will actually have value. It only has value because it costs $$$ in the add-on store. If it didn't exist in the add-on store, it would cease to be worth as much. If it didn't exist in the add-on store, gold-sellers would have a monopoly on illegally selling them for $$$ on third party sites. If SotA Portalarium doesn't sell them, someone else will. But the value is gained when backed, similarly to how the US dollar bill used to be a Silver Certificate because back in the day every dollar was backed by Silver, now of course, not to much.

15. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

If I can keep my best gear and others have to grind (and hope) to get crowns that's an advantage. I don't have to spend my time looking for that stuff, I just play and level, and buy crowns.

This is all very dependent on how available the crowns are in the world.
    Either they are rare, so the guy playing two hours a night might see 1 a month, which would keep the crafting econ alive, but force people like that to buy crowns (assuming they can afford them) or not be able to keep their good gear.
    Or they aren't rare, and the guy playing 2hrs a night finds enough in a week of play to fully rep his gear. Having the Crowns this available would destroy the crafting econ, essentially putting us where we are now, everyone just making their initial set and then crown repp'n it all for eternity.
    Or they're somewhere in-between, perfectly balanced, but our history hasn't shown us much balance, that's my concern.

Again not a huge deal to me, I can afford em. I was just thinkin of the $45 pledge that's runnin' thru the world and when the time comes to rep their gear they hear, "you can buy crowns and rep your gear, or you can grind for X amount of hours and hope ya get one."

This isn't a deco item or a cloak, these directly impact combat, and what gear one fights in.

Leelu, Miracle Dragon and Moonshadow like this.
  16. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

It does make the PvP ransom very trivial. Even more reason to scrap the ransom.

Gold hasn't been all that hard to gain so far. But you are very correct that there is a balance and it could he horribly skewed to push people to buy.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
    Oba Evesor likes this.
  17. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

...i am extremely dissappointed with this choice by devs...

first you add in that max dura can not be repaired by means other than a crown. < this is a good idea to keep crafting a viable gamepath.

then you sell crowns in a cash shop... <so adding the ability to only repair max dura was not to keep crafting viable but a way for you to make money.

scummy as ****. shady stuff like this will kill this game. you will become just like trion with people associating you with scum greed and failure.

this adds nothing to the game but a gold time sink mouse wheel where all we do is chase gold to buy crowns to stay competive with buffs and repaired equipment.

i dont care about the idea of pay to win. i play entropia universe i sell gold and items in all games i play via playerauctions. what i care about is gameplay. and all this does is hurt how we spend our time in game and health of the economy.

goddamn what a horrible idea for a cash grab.

18. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

The main problem I see is...after reaching a certain point most people will be not anymore part of the ingame economy. They are not buying new swords or repkits they simply use $ or time to hold their position. For high end equipment it will be most likely be more efficient to pay $, farm crowns or the needed money to purchase crowns than buying a new set...at least as long as you can still "make a living" from crafting.
    The number of customers will not be zero but I think this might lead at some point to a oversupply and this may lead to an oversupply of resources in general. I do not think that a miner/smith would have a problem to grind several hours just to create some items...but I think he may have a problem if no one is buying his goods...so their "fun" may end one day.
    But remember: The reason for this change was to keep people buying new items but thinking about it...it do not look like this will change anything in that direction. :(

Honestly I do not have a big problem with the possibility to buy crowns in the addon store....this is a possibility to get some money from people who are willing to pay $ for a repair.
    But ingame...there should be no possibility to get crowns for a repair.

If an item is broken you have three choices:

A
    You use $ (crown) to repair the item.

or

B
    You buy a new item.

or

C
    You use repkits to repair the item but the more repairs you do the more expensive it gets. There could be a repair counter or somethink alike and to fully repair an item you have to use each time e.g. one additional repkit.
    first repair = 1 repkit
    second repair = 2 repkits
    third repair = 3 repkits

So after a certain time it is simply cheaper to buy a new item instead of repairing the old one with hundreds of repkits but if the item has a special value just for you you can still continue to repair it.

Jackdepirate likes this.
  19. Archibald Leatherneck

Archibald Leatherneck Avatar

I will benefit, in part, from this design choice as I will use some of my pledge Gold Crowns of the Order to unlock skills and purchase weapons upon character creation. Unfortunately, I view that as putting a band-aid on less than ideal character creation mechanics and I still can't address the punitive Path of Truth starting template if I don't want to be a wizard. *shrugs*

My bigger concern is that there has been a dramatic development in the lore. It was previously thought to be that Crowns of the Obsidian were a relic of the age of Obsidians. It has become clear that someone is minting Gold Crowns of the Obsidian in the present. Do the Obsidians remain? Perhaps someone is making recreations and attempting (quite successfully I might add) to introduce them into circulation as genuine Crowns of the Obsidian. Does Lord British or any other notable New Britannians have executive security details that deal with counterfeiting?

Jackdepirate and Miracle Dragon like this.
  20. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

The rare obsidian crowns should not be traded or sold, they must be used by the user that purchased them..

That would solve at lease that issue

Jackdepirate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.