Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

screen jumping during camera rotation

Discussion in 'Release 30 Bug Forum' started by tonotrigger, May 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonotrigger

tonotrigger Avatar

There is a lot of screen jumping. Especially on the over world map. I'm running at Beautiful settings. I've logged out once and the game has crashed numerous times leaving an area to return to the world map.

My rig is:
    An i5 2500k running at 4.4Ghz
    A single GTX 770
    16 gig of RAM
    2 Gig SSD RAID 0.

Temps are normal.

Spryone, Church and Firetracker like this.
  2. Roper

Roper Avatar

Adding to this:
    Always when using the left/right click move method (not WASD) the camera will jump to the sky or turn you around quite frequently. In a mine with a low ceiling, this can happen as frequently as every other step, both in and out of combat. This condition reduces playability to nil.

I tried scrolling into First Person view for relief, but it seems that is no longer possible.

In order to leave the mine (serpent spine) I had to select a specific camera angle (not any angle would work) and WASD out of the cave. My wolf died many times saving me while I would run into walls and stare at the ceiling trying to fight - funny but frustrating.

My wife has the problems. We have 100 download and 85 upload fiber optic Internet.

Alienware i7 3.4ghz 16gb ram 2x nVidia Titan GTX (24gb total vid)

Thanks guys - I know you'll sort these out. We love this game.

Scraps MacMutt and tonotrigger like this.
  3. tonotrigger

tonotrigger Avatar

Thanks Church, to clarify. Church and I have the same problem.

Church likes this.
  4. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

I haven't been in an underground scene this release. I have noticed the screen jumping every few seconds in some outdoor scenes. The one scene it caused a potential issue is the South Grunvald Barrens. I was going up the path to the dragon nest, and the camera would suddenly rotate 90 degrees. Since the camera angle determines the path the avatar takes, I almost went off the side of the cliff several times. That is just one example of it happening. I don't understand why the camera needs to be adjusted every few seconds in an outdoor scene.

5. tonotrigger

tonotrigger Avatar

It's a graphics stutter. It' really irritating to be running, move my mouse to adjust my view and end up looking up at the sky.

6. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

I'm getting graphics pausing then jumping every few seconds as well on a regular cycle. It has nothing to do with graphics settings, as I put it from the highest down to the lowest with no change.

tonotrigger likes this.
  7. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Yes, I see the same thing. I'm using WASD to move. There is a regular freeze, every 4-8 seconds, the screen doesn't update for some fractions of a second but motion/input is applied at an accelerated rate. You can tell its accelerated, especially the tendency to leap to looking straight up or down, because you have to move the mouse far more to get back to a level alignment than you did at any point during the stutter. The result is that if you're doing anything at all to cause a change in direction (e.g. moving the mouse slightly; running past something which causes the camera to move of its own accord) you get a sudden and violent change in view coming out of the stutter.

It is really noticeable on the overland map and in any enclosed space (mines, houses), but also just happens at random points in regular locations. For example I was running into Highvale just now, made a slight adjustment to aim between the guards at the gate, got a stutter and ended up running alongside the wall to the left of the gate, ninety degrees away from where I was aiming.

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4) System RAM: 32100
    GPU: GeForce GTX 760/PCIe/SSE2 GPU RAM: 1024
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Linux.64.419.Date.05.27.16

8. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

I'm starting to think it is the loading of textures and models as you move through a scene.

9. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

I don't think it's that, or that it's just that, because you can get the same issue by standing in one spot and rotating your view backwards and forwards, it will still freeze every few seconds. It might be that textures are unloading as you look away from them, but I would expect to see the hangs being consistent with movement rate rather than time. I'm wondering if it's a garbage collector issue, or perhaps some regular network activity. All speculation at this point, of course.

10. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

I would love to see any dev comments here. Have the same issue. Camera raises to heaven and game in general is stottering very much. Especially on the overland map.
    My PC is usually is not bad:
    Windows 10 64 Bit, i3570k, 16 GB RAM, Samsung SSD 830, NVidia GTX 980 4GB

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  11. tonotrigger

tonotrigger Avatar

It makes it difficult to play that is for sure!

12. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

@Attenwood are you aware of this issue?

13. Doschl

Doschl Avatar

same prob here! its terrible to play the game.....

14. Roper

Roper Avatar

Hi All,
    Temporary solutions based on experimentation until the team sorts this out:

Camera Look Sensitivity under Controls: I, like many of you, like to be able to spin around on a dime and so have our sensitivity at default or higher. I lowered both the x and y camera sensitivities and even though "camera jumping" still occurs - it is less severe and less often.

Video quality: Sadly this will diminish the aesthetic wonderment of the world. I selected the FASTEST setting under video Quality settings. After some tears were shed, I began testing - and in combination with above, there was further improvement.

Is this how I want to play the game in the future? Not really, but it allows for play-ability in the interim. Oh! I set the shadow distance up to low to quell some of my depression. :)

I hope this helps determine the causal factors of this issue. As always, keep up the good work!
    - C

15. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thank you all for the feedback. We suspect this is due to a known issue of regular scene lag players have reported that happens in some scenes every few seconds. When this occurs, we believe any actions that were ongoing at the time (moving the mouse to turn the camera) would be accentuated. Does the above describe the issue as observed? Additional clarification and details would help us immensely as we work to resolve this problem. Thank you for reporting. :)

Wintermute of CoF likes this.
  16. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

That describes what is happening to me. I made a point of moving the mouse when the screen froze on me on my way to my home in Elad's Lighthouse. When the screen thawed, the angle of movement of my avatar changed. I also noticed it when it happened as I was trying to navigate and fight through the red spider cave in the Skrekk Caverns scene. Let's just say it made the area more challenging.

17. Hicks_206

Hicks_206 Avatar

Also experiencing this on all graphics settings levels

i7 4790k
    16 GB RAM
    GTX 970
    Windows 10
    All drivers, Windows Updates, and Direct X libraries up to date

Moving the camera in most all scenes and the overworld results in a graphical stutter and sudden jerk of the camera in the extreme of the direction I happened to be moving

18. tonotrigger

tonotrigger Avatar

Yes. It's disorienting.

19. tonotrigger

tonotrigger Avatar

Devs. I cannot support a game I can't play. Where is the payoff? It's been 3 years. I haven't been able to play reliably for more than an hour the entire life of the game. I have the best hardware available. If I thought I needed something more I would buy it. If you delete this message. Consider this: The first 5 minutes gets the next 5 minutes, gets the next 5 minutes...

Sure, I can appreciate starting from the end sometimes. I've been a musician, and learning songs benefits from that type of strategy. However, parts of this game do not need to exist if the string of 5 min moments doesn't exist to get there. It's best left as a design document if the path to get there doesn't exist. I can't solve a graphics issue on my own. I can't force myself to overcome expectations about the game that you've set. Show me a world where I can get to the edge, and then extend that edge.

This graphics stutter is the most critical issue to the success of your game. If people can play without technical issues, they will stay.

20. Hicks_206

Hicks_206 Avatar

Report the bug, don't complain about it. They're aware of the issues - but this is not the game, this is a development build. Report, regression test on future builds, rinse, repeat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.