1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Gold Crowns of the Obsidians

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

Nah, not if you give rewards like FF XIV does.

And instead of mounts, just give out a pet for your house after 3 Month sub.
    Then another pet after 6 month.
    9 Month some cool looking furniture...

etc...

You get the idea.
    Just vanity stuff.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Getting closer. ;) Next will be blocking and dialog!

3. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

"Fortunately, this would force everyone to have to subscribe or miss out on kewl mounts, rewards, etc."

There... fixed that for you. That would kind of be the point of a "Fluff" subscription.

Functionally no different that buying Crowns... You get a dingus every month that you can then sell in game, or use yourself.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  4. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Why not wait for them to add the lore for the coins?

Time Lord and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  5. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

And it remains buy to play. Nothing that has been proposed requires anyone to make any purchase from the Add-On Store, or purchase a subscription, or Donate to the Send Richard To Space Again fund.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  6. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

I really can't wait for the funny lore that is gonna try to explain the players why the awesome COTO is required to repair an easy item like an simple Dagger with no bonuses and extra magical stuff on it.

7. Sir Frank

So, in a game where magic is part of the fabric of the world, it is beyond comprehension that a coin imbued with magic properties might be able to restore the durability of any item.
    Alright then. Carry on.

Time Lord and Womby like this.
  8. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

We don't die, there's no explanation for that.
    We don't feel pain, no lore.
    We don't need food to survive, nothing.
    We can jump off a 10 story building and survive, that's ok.
    We show up in this world and get skills and spells but it's never explained why.

I could really go on and on here.

In the Duke Round Table I asked about this directly and Starr said "It's magic." I believe someone on the dev team at one point said that there would be lore for it but it hadn't been developed yet. So I agree with you that there should be a connection that makes some sense, but I'm not going to get super hung up on the meta gaming reality when there are so many other things that are a much bigger deal than this from a lore perspective.

I mean, I'm sitting in my home on a computer playing a video game. The official lore is that I'm me inside of another world but that requires me to forget the fact that I'm not. ;)

Siriustar, Kytail, Womby and 2 others like this.
  9. Drocis the Devious

There's a part of me that kind of wishes the end game of all this was seeing Richard's happy face flying into space. I mean, if you're going to lose all your money, it might as well be with an ironic twist at the end.

"Thank you, Shroud of the Avatar community. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm late to orbit the Earth!" LOL

10. Sir Frank

It's almost as if lore isn't the real reason people are protesting. But, like the word immersion, it can be used if the real reason doesn't have the strength to stand on its own.

Time Lord, Womby, Koldar and 3 others like this.
  11. Drocis the Devious

In all fairness, I immediately asked something like "Why are Obsidian Merchants standing around large cities in broad daylight selling powerful magic items? Isn't the Obsidian Empire an old relic? And if Obsidian Crowns are being used in common trade, where are those things being made at? It doesn't make sense." :)

So I kind of get the need for lore integration here. But yeah, I haven't heard a lot of deep thoughts on this in the forums.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  12. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

Good try, but sorry, i don't care about your listed points at all :O
    But i care about the theory & story we will get when it comes to the COTOS that are apparently required to repair the stuff we use in the game.

So everything is magic, even the simple stuff we craft, ok, understood lol...
    Makes absolutely zero sense...

13. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

And this makes sense to you?
    If everything in your wonderful world is magic, why do we need real life cash then to fill the market with the magical imbued coins? o_O
    (because from drops/loot it won't be obviously enough)

Snikorts likes this.
  14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Lore will come.
    In on of the Updates they worte that it's not imgame at the moment.
    But I agree with @Sir Frank in most cases it's a last line of defence Argument like the p2w Argument.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  15. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

We can debate endless about this crap, in the end we have to deal with whatever the DEVs come up with.

Lord Dreamo and Jarl Atogrim like this.
  16. Drocis the Devious

When Starr said "It's magic." I assumed that was because we were two months away from final wipe, there wasn't a lot of time left to fill in all the blanks. They're not stupid, and they're not trying to ignore a valid point, they're just doing the best with what they have.

The reality is that they're trying to make the best game possible with limited funds, resources and time. Where as a super large AAA project would have a lot more of all of that, history tells us that the game would not have the same passion or attention to the players as this one does. This is truly a collaborative effort between the developers and the fans. But it has real limitations. So I get it, you're right and I agree with you that the lore should be there. But if we have to take an "it's magic" placeholder that's ok too. Because it's assumed that at the end of the day something else was more important than that at this time.

KuBaTRiZeS and himmelweiss like this.
  17. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

An optional subscription would have to give more than just equal value store credits or no one would bother doing it.

I'm not going to commit to $10 a month if I can just buy the credits as I need them for the same price.

KuBaTRiZeS, Koldar and Jarl Atogrim like this.
  18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Adept and overcome ^^

KuBaTRiZeS and himmelweiss like this.
  19. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Or, more correctly, adapt and exploit.

20. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

I do understand that Portalarium has to earn some money…but instead of using a mechanic everyone “has to use” to generate income I would suggest using a mechanic that is not necessary but still interesting for a lot of players...I think this wouldn't leave such a nasty taste in many mouths.

Why not adding a possibility to pay your rent with store credits?
    You still need to get a deed (ingame or in the shop) but if you have one you can choose to either pay the rent with gold or store credits. Just payment in advanced would be possible for store credits and if there are no store credits left the payment is switching back to gold usage. To lessen the misusage we may restrict this possibility to one lot per account.

Vendors could be another possibility. Either you can pay $ to not pay a gold fee at the public vendor or the vendor for your lot does not charge gold for his services.

Another possibility would be to sell teleport scrolls in the shop. These scrolls are nice to have but not a must have. Maybe we have to change the recipe to make creating the scrolls ingame more difficult or the scrolls from the shop are working different e.g. you do not need a lot/person…you are teleporting to a city/moongate.

(Of course these are just examples. ;))

Not necessarily. :)
    Maybe with the subscription you get one item each month for free. This “free” item is the new item that can be purchased by everyone in the shop.
    E.g. the subscription is 10$ each month. The first month you get the Kobold Ornate Steam Radiator, the next month the Ornate Iron Wall Light 3-Pack and the next month the Teletype…summarizing all "free" items of a year you payed a lesser amount of money as if you had bought them in the shop but without a subscription you maybe just had bought 4 of the 12 items.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.