Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Thieving Skill

Discussion in 'Release 30 Feedback Forum' started by Cupid, Jun 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

You dont even have to stand by them, just running by and then you can pick them at distance. Has anyone ever seen a real pick pocket be able to pick a pocket from 20 yards away? Either way, if this is as intended, new players will just get picked and griefed in this new way, and the game will become a ghost town, and die. Can you not see how many people are already pissed about it? I guess some people just get off on pissing others off, and find it fun to live vicariously through others misery. Its a pretty sad mentality that humanity has. Age of conan died from griefing new players constantly. I even tried to anti grief as much as I could but even I can not play 24/7.

Fister Magee and Time Lord like this.
  2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Ok once again it is not so easy I have tried to duplicate and only way I was able to steal from a NoN PvP flagged player was with them in a dual. So if any of you thieves care to explain what you are actually doing would be nice.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

The devs have taken a very leinent stance on exploits before FW.
    This will be no different. Actually the biggest eploits that have happened so far, the devs have kinda laughed about, and mentioned them as "kinda cool".

Hopefully this attitude will change once FW is here.

4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Yes but I am hoping soon they will start to see how by being lenient they are actually hurting the game, and by showing strength and dealing hard and fast players will see they are here to support the game and not the cheater or exploiters who are going to come out of the woodwork in the beginning. The stance they take now is a precursor to how they will be in the future.

Jezebel Caerndow and Time Lord like this.
  5. Womby

Womby Avatar

The story so far:

1. Two bug reports have been posted regarding pickpocketing of non PVP flagged players. One was "Pick Pocket can now happen when only one party is PVP" in Blockers and Performance Issues, the other was "Pick Pocketing - is this a PVP skill or not?" in Combat, Skills, & Magic. Both reports were made by victims. No report has been initiated by a perpetrator.

2. Reported events go way beyond testing. One person reported:
    "I've logged a bug in the forums for it.. I lost 91 silver ingots 8 hours worth of work between ****** and my self. Plus 10 different items. **** was the one stealing from me. I messages him in game and he told me how to ransom them back. He wouldn't leave me along at the crafting stations in Britany. If ****** hadn't seen the flicker of light he would have robbed me blind. it cost be about $3,000 in total to get everything back. I was lucky and had the money. I feel bad for people who don't have much money. So until they get this fixed or sorted out, I'm play friends only or single player. The greifing if not checked will cause me to leave the game."
    (Names removed)

3. This is a bug. The intended function is for pickpocketing only to be possible between PVP flagged players. Portalarium is aware of the situation and is working on a fix. In the meantime, Single Player Online is guaranteed safe.

4. To those currently pickpocketing: please stop. You clearly have no interest in filing a bug report, so there is no legitimate reason for you to continue your activities. Thank you.

6. Gix

Gix Avatar

Actually, as a player who wants to play a thief character, I'm kind of tempted to do it.

I want to drill this into the heads of the devs that this skill should be used vs NPCs, not players. On its first iteration, it was a "PvP only" skill and I communicated countless times in the forums how insanely backwards that is and the skill never got any change what-so-ever.

The fact that players go crazy whenever they're in PvP or not at the loss of their items shows how ridiculous the skill is and how it promotes griefing.

They don't listen to the thieves, so they might as well listen to the victims.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~PvT, They Need Their Own Lawless Cities to Do Such Things to Players~
    [​IMG]
    Apart From PvP, But PvT & PvNPC & PvNPCT <---<<<
    ~Time Lord~

8. Lord Blackthorn

Lord Blackthorn Avatar

Not the case.

The original thread was this one and was intended for the bug forum, not the feedback forum and was immediately confirmed by several Thieves including me.

Figuring out why it was working on blues was the intent behind doing it and most of the perps (not all) were returning the stolen items via the oracle. Unfortunately the bug seems random enough where we weren't able to identify the specific conditions in which it was possible and THAT is why you don't see much feedback from the thieves themselves.

People need to stop hating on a valid playstyle just because it happened to effect them during early release when it has no real bearing. We are wiping again anyway.

And btw, with the latest drop rates of ore, nickle, tin etc and the availability of scraps, all the new bonuses to harvesting speed... 91 ingots isn't that many and I doubt it took 6 hours to harvest, that's an exaggeration . Especially if you have more than one person mining.

Time Lord and Fister Magee like this.
  9. Brielle McFerson

Brielle McFerson Avatar

This is coming from a victims point a view. As it stands today, it not balanced and the "thief" has all the advantages. It becomes a griefing situation when the person is caught stealing, asked to stop, because right now there is no defense, only to have them follow you around and continue to steal from you forcing leave the area. I believe people are exploiting this right now, and that defeats the purpose of "beta" testing. The thief can take as much as they want from the victim.

The only recourse for the victim today is:
    A) leave the area
    B) Log out.

Let me give you an example:
    The non-PVP player is at a public crafting station happily crafting away. The crafting window is obscuring the surroundings. The thief stealths up behind the crafter and just starts yanking things out of their bags. Then leaves. Now the crafter goes to make something else, and ALL the items are gone that they needed.

How is that right?

Now before you jump all over this, yes, you can hit the "." key and pay to get your items back. That's great for the person who has money, not so ideal for the newbie who has very little money and spend hours out harvesting to get what they need to try to make money. The person also needs to know about getting their items back from the Oracle. I didn't until someone told me I could. There is also a time limit from what I saw and I nearly missed my window.
    Personally, I wouldn't mind the thief skill IF there were parameters set up.

Ideas:
    • The thief can only take a quantity of 1 from a bag. So if the are 20 wood, they would only be able to take one wood. Not all 20.
    • What they steal is random. I don't know if it now or not so just putting it out there.
    • The thief can only loot a player once within a certain time limit. Say an hour after a successful steal. This would prevent most griefing.
    • If caught by the player the guards could be called and the thief punished for getting caught. Cutting off a hand sounds good. j/k
    • Public crafting areas were off limits because of the crafting window obscuring the players view of the surroundings.
    • Having a bag where rare items could be stored while out in the world that could not be stolen from.
    Just my two cents.

10. Lord Blackthorn

Lord Blackthorn Avatar

This entire statement is moot... you don't balance bugs. This is a bug.

An UNINTENDED bug.

The functionality is perfectly fine if the bug didn't exist that allows non flagged people to be stolen from.

Time Lord and Fister Magee like this.
  11. Brielle McFerson

Brielle McFerson Avatar

Now that there is bug report perhaps it would be a good time to start reporting the finding from thief.

[Quote}People need to stop hating on a valid playstyle just because it happened to effect them during early release when it has no real bearing. We are wiping again anyway.[/Quote]

Remembering this is a beta and reporting the finds on both sides with less emotion would be better. However, there are a few, not all that are taking advantage of this. Granted we will be wiping at the end of July. It needs to be look at and I am sure it is.

[Quote}And btw, with the latest drop rates of ore, nickel, tin etc and the availability of scraps, all the new bonuses to harvesting speed... 91 ingots isn't that many and I doubt it took 6 hours to harvest, that's an exaggeration . Especially if you have more than one person mining.[/QUOTE]

that was my report if it had been only copper, nickel, iron you are right not a big deal. But in this case it was silver and did take the amount of time stated to harvest over 200 silver ore to get the 91 ingot.

As I stated in a post above I'm not against the skill just needs some parameters set.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

hmmm... I would think Tasslehoff Burrfoot would be fine with "borrowing" things from anybody at any time!

13. Lord Blackthorn

Lord Blackthorn Avatar

Some people aren't grasping the fact that soon the bug will be fixed and they won't be able to be stolen from anymore but still feel the need to express why it should be "balanced".

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Brielle McFerson

Brielle McFerson Avatar

Please excuse me for stating I wouldn't mind the skill not be PVP only, and offering a suggestion for how it could work. I thought this was the feedback forums.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Gix

Gix Avatar

Thing is, it'll still need to be retooled because it's not like PvP players enjoy being ransacked either.

amethyst25 and Time Lord like this.
  16. Lord Blackthorn

Lord Blackthorn Avatar

As the pvpers say, if you don't want the risk and interaction associated with pvp, don't flag. That interaction includes pickpocketing.

You have options to pay dirt cheap gold to get back nice items, so with the high probability of death for thieves, it's almost not worth it as it works currently.

It honestly couldn't be mitigated any more than it has been but people continue to whine.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Gix

Gix Avatar

Alright then, I guess we can all sum up every discussion with "Don't like it, leave!" That's constructive!

Who said anything about mitigating anything? The whole pickpocket mechanic needs to be looked into.

P.S. - I AM A PVPER! I PLAY AS A THIEF!

Womby and Time Lord like this.
  18. Lord Blackthorn

Lord Blackthorn Avatar

Calm yourself Cletus. I simply dont agree it should be restricted to NPCs. It would take the excitement out of the profession in my opinion. The devs put it in the game and that likely won't change, so the statement is valid. If you don't want to be stolen from, you have options to avoid it.

Fister Magee and Time Lord like this.
  19. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~My Second is a Thief, Yet Our SOTA Subterfuge Goes Much Deeper!~

Our Chris has given us "Safe Fall" and other skills in the working to make this SOTA character an outstanding unique play style for our future! A Swiss Army Knife of skills this character will become with special abilities that will make every other Avatar builds envious to come across indeed!

When we look for deeper and more exciting variety of play styling, we will have but to look no further than our subterfuge skills o_O!'
    "It's not just about pickpocketing" ;) Picking a pocket is only the beginning...
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

20. Lord Blackthorn

Lord Blackthorn Avatar

Correct, we also need to be able to get away afterward. :O

Time Lord likes this.
  21. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

6 hours for 200 silver ore is entirely possible although a bit on the slow end of the spectrum.
    Silver is only available in Mines with a fair number of Mobs, so a slow killer would be slowed down.
    Mines that have silver pop pretty slow and don't have very many silver nodes, only get about 15-25 per run.
    High levels of meticulous don't really help the situation very much.
    Some silver mines are out of the way, so there could be traveling time to and from the mine depending on which mine was choosen.

Could it be done faster, sure thing.
    Is it possible it really took somone that long.. sure thing

Having said that, it's really no big deal. they are already fixing non-pvp chars from being able to steal, and non-pvp chars being able to be stolen from. So this is a temporary problem.
    This time period is made to find bugs just like this one.
    Everything is going to be wiped anyway, so no one has actually lost anything.
    Everyone has the option of hiding in FOM and SPO until this bug is fixed.
    The ransom is dirt cheap, although I do wish you could selective pay ransom on particular things and not have to pay for everything in one shot. That way they could keep half a coconut, but I could still get other things back.

22. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Picking a nose is too! I see AFK avatars on the overland map doing that all the time...Hm, hm, hm what is Shroud coming too? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.