Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Cooking, Why Bother?

Discussion in 'Release 30 Feedback Forum' started by Xander Xavier, Jun 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xander Xavier

Xander Xavier Avatar

Once cooking was a way for new characters to make money for training and equipment. Then Portalarium systematically destroyed the profitability every cooked item they were able to identify. Since there is no profit in cooking and no advantage in eating a crafted item over a vendor item, why should anyone waste a single experience point on cooking?
    If you want to make cooking worth while:
    Make it profitable
    Give us the option to use cooked items as deco
    Assign unique bonus to different cooked items
    And if you implement any of these improvements you should drop a hint or two that you have done so.
    I suspect I am not the only player who rejected cooking several releases ago. So if you expect us to ever even take another look at cooking you will need to toot your horn pretty loud about any improvement you make.

2. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

My $0.02 is that like agriculture, a skeletal system was put in place as a proof of concept and it will be fleshed out at a later date.

I believe they intend to embellish it; however, it is not as high on the list as other capabilities.

See Agriculture, that area has no skills currently, but will when they get around to fleshing that system out.

I made a thing of Duck Soup, found that it still gave +1 hp regen and have moved on for this release.

Will try again at a later date.

Thinking out loud, kind of funny that Patience wasn't one of the listed virtues. ;)

Solazur, Time Lord, Alexander and 6 others like this.
  3. Xander Xavier

Xander Xavier Avatar

Thank you for saving the bother of making Duck Soup.;)

4. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

No problem. Till next release's Duck Soup.

Leelu likes this.
  5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Well. As is right now I turn to cooking when I have gold to spare and need XP for some other crafting...
    Turn that cooking skill to not gain, buy the ingredients with no gathering, and do each recipe three-four times = easy XP.

Yes I know that it's a broken way of doing things but that is the way the system encourages you to behave.

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

We used to be able to turn that tree bark into a good amount of gold. Not so much now.

Lord Baldrith, margaritte and FrostII like this.
  7. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I'd prioritize making it fun, interesting, and super useful first. Profitable comes second in my book.

In my view, systems that are added only to create busy work and profit for doing it are 'mini-games.'

These kind of systems are much better when they integrate with the core game play and truly up that game by making it more compelling, more interesting, more fun.

Fun is what sustains games. Profitability - if that is all there is to it - quickly just becomes an economic mini-game that doesn't have staying power for many.

So the question is: Do you find cooking to be a lot of fun right now, just not profitable?

Time Lord, Rennik and 4EverLost like this.
  8. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

The point right now would be testing ingredients and give some feedback on clarity and availability of the raw material, I guess.

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You do get a health recovery bonus when you eat.

10. smack

smack Avatar

I would love to see an update on where they're at with the nature to nutrition system. Is it still on deck for Ep1? Has it been delayed or simply dropped completely?

11. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that cooking will tie directly into a health mechanic... not just for healing but also as buffs for poison resistance and encumbrance and whatever else can make sense. Unlike crown buffs, food stuffs could have a shelf life that destroys the items if they're not used in a certain amount of time after crafting.

Maybe even have a skill that allows crafters to make cool decorations... same path as the consumables, but for deco only.

12. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

Food will become more needed as they go ahead with the food actually maving you stronger, or weaker..I you havnt eaten in a 12 hour window you become weakr till you eeat something..

13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Having food buffs=good.

Making food a requirement=bad.

cartodude and Alley Oop like this.
  14. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

really? can you go 12 hours or more without eating something in Real Life...you start slowing down and feeling bad..same thing in the game

15. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I really hope that they work on cooking some more at a future date. I've played with it in the previous release, and as Jefe pointed out, anything you make will only give you a +1 HP for a period of time. I've tried virtually all recipes and they all have the same effect. I will get back to that skill once I know that the devs spent some more time on this. But I think this is most likely much lower on their priority list presently. Also agree with making finished products place-able as decor, and this goes beyond cooking. (ie swords, armor, etc. )

16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Do I really have to point out that it's a game and not real life? If real life was real fun then we wouldn't need games, right? If you make the game like real life then it's no longer real fun.

17. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

really? killing others is not Real Life?? just beacause they are different? elves,kobolds,thieves,et all?

18. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

It was put int recent releases then pushed back, so it's still comming at some point. since it is one of the crafting trees i'd assume they want to try to finish it as clsoe to EP.1 as possible, tho its not on the roadmap to E1

My guess is they will put it in before Ep.1 but it isnt high priority yet

smack likes this.
  19. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

Errr... really? You mean like Hansel and Gretel style?

Time Lord and Xander Xavier like this.
  20. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Have no fear people. Food buffs are one of LB's passions and he has promised that cooking will be a prominent crafting feature where foods we craft/cook will provide a wide variety of benefits... most of them will even resemble what you would expect from them IRL.

I've been bugging the Devs with info on when this system is coming and in one of the recent telethon hangouts, LB pushed this ahead of something else in the JIRAs in order to get it done sooner.

It's coming soon!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.