Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Planting in planter in greenhouse appears to work but water and seed pops back into invtory on exit

Discussion in 'Release 30 Bug Forum' started by Kelly O'Shay, May 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelly O'Shay

Kelly O'Shay Avatar

5/30/2016 2:23 PM
    Title: Planting in planter in greenhouse not working
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker: Blocks agriculture for me
    Details: Planting cotton bush seed with one water appears fine until gui close, then seed and water reappears in inventory and no plant has been planted.
    Steps to Reproduce: In village lot with rusty greenhouse with large planter attempt to plant cotton bush seed with one water bucket. when you close the ag gui, seed is "unplanted".
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8) System RAM: 11955
    GPU: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 GPU RAM: 3100
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Win.64.419.Date.05.27.16
    Area: POT_grassland_metropolis_01_template
    Loc: (-26.7, 44.9, 102.2)

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  2. snapto

snapto Avatar

I have experienced the same problem planting in small, med, and large planters (no greenhouse) on my village lot in both npc town (Harvest) and POT using regular Hoe. GUI says the planting was a success but nothing happens and no ingredients are consumed.

Kelly O\'Shay likes this.
  3. Kelly O'Shay

Kelly O'Shay Avatar

I thought this was fixed in patch 420. I was able to plant about 74 cotton seeds normally. Then, my hoe broke. While I was in the middle of planting with the cotton seed and water already in the upper right of the gui, I unequiped the hoe and equipped the new hoe. Then, when I clicked plant the window closed but it closed to a copy of itself with the seed and water still in there. Then, I clicked plant again, and the window closed and the bug re-appeared. The seed and water jumped back into my pack and they didnt plant.

4. Kelly O'Shay

Kelly O'Shay Avatar

I tested this again in patch 421 and it is still broken. I tried to work around it by removing the hoe, relogging and reequipping the hoe. Still didnt work. The seed and water remain in the upper right frame of the gui, so the plant button becomes highlighted again even after selecting plant. You can press the button again, but the same wrong thing happens over and over.

5. Alexandra Cornfellow

Alexandra Cornfellow Avatar

Same thing is happening to me. Has this been acknowledged as a bug?

6. Kelly O'Shay

Kelly O'Shay Avatar

So far, I have not seen the devs acknowlege this as a bug.

I tested this again in patch 427 and it is still broken. But, I remember some information from last week that may be helpful. The time it worked for 66 plants then stopped working after I replaced my broken hoe I noticed one strange thing. When I started, the hoe showed 98.5/99.25 for the damage/max durability numbers. I had never seen fractional numbers in there before so I thought it might be what caused the broken. Now that I am thinking about it, maybe this is what made it work. If the graphical window "ag gui" has code to check the hoe to see if it can be used, maybe it is comparing it to 100. But, if the hoe has 100.25 it would fail the test and not be allowed to be used.

Please let us know if this is a bug that is being researched.

7. Alexandra Cornfellow

Yes! This is very frustrating Kelly! I've been trying for days and checking the forums many times per day. It seems like a response from the developers would be a natural thing. And perhaps they have responded, but I'm unable to find it if they have.

Cheers,
    Cornfellow

8. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Bug submitted. Thanks.

9. Kelly O'Shay

Kelly O'Shay Avatar

This is still broken today, but yesterday I was able to plant 85 cotton. I tried to continue planting after the hoe broke, but the bug reappeared. The 85 that planted correctly worked correctly. I watered them 13 hours later, and 12 hours after that they produced 5 cotton each.
    Today I tried again with the new hoe that was still equipped. the bug is still happening today, and I can not plant any cotton seeds.
    I do not know what allowed me to plant the 85 cotton yesterday. But, the situation was that I had not tried for several days. As posted above, several days ago, I was able to plant cotton until my hoe broke. Then, when I replaced the how with a new one, the bug appeared.

So in summary, the bug appears to be happening when using a new hoe. But, occasionally, if you try again after a few days, the planting will work normally until the hoe breaks, then the bug reappears.

Here is the bug report info in case you want to know where the greenhouse is located. The city name is Virtue Oasis.

6/19/2016 10:25 AM
    User Specs:
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Win.64.427.Date.06.06.16
    Loc: (-17.9, 44.5, 98.0)

Thanks,
    Kelly

10. Kelly O'Shay

Kelly O'Shay Avatar

After some adventuring which included PVE fights and a few unfortunate deaths of my avatar, I came back to the greenhouse to check on the ag bug. This time I still had the new hoe equipped that did not work the day before. Today, when I attempted to plant the first seed, I noticed the damage/durability was 97.5/99.75. In my mind this confirms the theory that I proposed on the 13th of June above. What if the new hoe has 100.25 damage/durability and the ag gui code is checking to make sure the damage is between 1 and 100 before it lets you plant successfully? Then, a hoe with 100.25/100.25 would not plant successfully. Since I had the hoe equipped while adventuring and dying, it has apparently become slightly damaged. Now that it is less than 100, it falls within the test "between 1 and 100".

I went ahead and planted 85 seeds with that hoe before it became broken to the point it could not be used. I equipped another new hoe, and the bug reappeared.

I will attach a screenshot of the durability 97.5/99.75 as proof that fractions are showing up.

I will have to leave it to the devs to prove that the problem is that new hoes are not usable until they become damaged.

[​IMG]

11. GingerLoaf

GingerLoaf Developer Emeritus

Thank you for all of this detailed information! I am no longer able to reproduce this in-house using a variety of seed types and hoe types in online and offline after planting around 75-100 plants. I also tried breaking my hoe and re-equipping a new one in both the crafting UI and with no UI. It appears that this issue has been resolved, however, I would love your help in either verifying that it is completed or coming up with reproduction steps if it still exists. Keep an eye open in the next patch for this same issue, and let us know if you can still re-create it. With that being said, I hope all of you get an amazing yield from your gardens!

Jack Knyfe likes this.
  12. Celthon

Celthon Avatar

@GingerLoaf

I try planting in planting beds, planting pots, etc., and nothing will plant...I dbl-click the pot/bed, etc., get the planting window move one seed and one bucket of water into the upper window with the hoe equipped and the "Plant" button lights up green, click plant and the timer bar moves across the bottom, says success and NOTHING HAPPENS...the seed and water stay where they were, despite seeing the word SUCCESS.

This is outdoors on my Village Lot...I get the same result with every seed type I have tried...Apple, Cotton, Mandrake, Garlic. So, NO THIS IS NOT FIXED, and I have been getting these same lack of results for approx. 2 weeks now.

For me this is a total Blocker of a major portion of the game as I cannot plant, harvest or use those items for my Crafting.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  13. Alexandra Cornfellow

Hi GingerLoaf,

Thanks for responding to this. As Celthon said above, the issue is definitely not resolved. I've just attempted to plant cotton using two different computers and two different accounts using the same small planting box in the back of my village home in Brittay fields. All had negative results. The planting looks like it is proceeding as normal, the progress bar displaying 'Success'. However no seedling is in the box, and the water and seed are returned to my pack.

You said, "I am no longer able to reproduce this in-house...". This implies that at one point you were able to reproduce the issue. Did you do anything inadvertently that might have fixed things...perhaps reinstall the client, something like that? Perhaps I could grant you full access to my plot and you could attempt to plant something there? This would possibly narrow down the hunt by pointing at a problem in the client or in the plot/area/planting system.

This problem has taken much of the fun out of playing and testing the crafting systems, so I sure hope someone can resolve it. I'm eagerly waiting tomorrow's patch.

Cheers,
    Cornfellow

Fister Magee likes this.
  14. Manerd

Manerd Avatar

@Trailor was having the same problem and asked me to give it a try and I had no problem. I read this thread and decided to let him try my Hoe of Prosperity and it worked fine. If I use the hoe he had now I can't plant. We have tried different containers and locations with the same results.
    Hope this helps some.

Celthon likes this.
  15. Alexandra Cornfellow

The update seems to have fixed the problem! I am now able to plant again. Yahooooo!

16. Kelly O'Shay

Kelly O'Shay Avatar

I tried this today with patch 437 and it worked fine. I started with a new hoe, and it was able to plant 98 cotton just fine. It had 2/98 left, but I unequipped it anyway. I then planted some with a new hoe that I equipped from the ag gui, and that also worked fine. Then, I removed the hoe and tried planting without a hoe. The ag gui didnt let me plant until I equipped the first hoe with 2/98 again while in the ag window. Then it let me plant a cotton and water. I switched to another new hoe and that worked. Then, I went back to the first hoe with 1/98 and planted one, and it broke. I was able to remove the broken one and reequip one of the partially used hoes from the ag window and plant some more cotton. I filled my 2 greenhouses up with 140 cotton. I was not able to break it no matter how hard I tried. I think it is fixed now.

Thanks GingerLoaf, great work.

Thanks Alexandra Cornfellow, Manerd, Trailor, snapto and Attenwood for all of your help researching and fixing this bug! Great work all!

Here are the details just in case they are needed for a final report.

7/2/2016 10:08 PM
    Title:
    Reproduction Rate:
    Blocker?
    Details:
    Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Win.64.437.Date.07.01.16
    Loc: (-36.3, 45.1, 99.2)