SotA Con East - Nov 4-6, 2016 in Baltimore, MD

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Violation Clauth, Jun 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minerva

Minerva Avatar

Sounds great

2. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

That is correct :)

I plan on attending and hope a few of the other guys from the crew will as well.

And @Winfield you know how we like to cover things ;)

More info to follow as things firm up.

Laz

3. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

When you're ready I'm sure people want to know what you have planned. Then others can maybe augment it or even do something different that fills an unmet need. Can't wait for you to share! :)

4. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

Ah ha! Shall I bring my wooden Spoon of Storytelling / Fishing with me?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yum!

5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

What about a live PvP gladiator one on one tournament. using a plastic swords that are officiated by judges counting valid strikes, timed rounds and limited signup to keep it from lasting all day.

Double points for successfully landing ur evading using SotA manouvers to cause people to try to time rolls and use sota blade skill strikes (double slash etc) parry reposte etc. Swinging wildly doesn't count lol.

If anybody can avoid accuratly time avoiding a strike using a backflip they should get a special recognition. In fact they should get a city lot for that.

All for fun though winner gets cheap plastic sword with sword that gains the title human slayer written on it with a sharpie.

Although it might make a cool memory piece especially if the person gets their trophy sword signed by the devs that show up. Having a human slayer darkstar signed sword would be awesome. Especially since it is the first annual SotA con. Prized trophy. LoL the rest of the contestants can have their names in the annels of sotacon history as being courageous participants in this side show event.

Maybe? Or no? If people get crazy and risk getrinf injured or injuring others trying to win then maybe this isn't a good idea but if it could be on the humor side and make for good live avatar's radio event on the last day.

6. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Or you havebvertsin blows head shot instant death, legshot lose that leg fighing from knees arm same lose that arm. 2 or 3 shotd toid saction kills. Etc..

7. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Love it! We'ev had some talks about it already. I think we'll aim for a different type of sword but I absolutely want to have stuff like this! :) Who doesn't!?! I'm not sure about the city lot though... that might be a bit out of the budget :D I'm trying to make sure I'm very careful with how the money is spent because the goal is to give all excess unused funds right to Portalarium.

As for fun prizes... I have some plans to have games in one of the rooms and I have some prizes I was going to give out to table champions every so often... they're little plastic trinkets but I figured little things are great because they don't take a lot of space and still help us to remember the fun time we had 20 years later.

Feel free to keep tossing out ideas like this!

8. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I post from my cell phone too and I gotta say... I need to help you with cell phone posts. LOL I didn't get the last part... 2 or 3 shots should kill them?

Fionwyn Wyldemane and Time Lord like this.
  9. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

Chiming in - Mayhaps a couple hours later then called upon but here none the less (That time difference can seem quite large depending on what is being messaged about :) )

We also are hoping to have some of our crew there on the scene. The amazing Laz and his folks will no doubt have cameras on the ground and we will have voices on the air. Whether our people can be there in person or not, there will be means in one way or another to have coverage there for listeners to be able to tune into.

@Winfield - What you did for the other cons/events was always great.. I am beyond thankful for what you did for those of us who are in other countries and could not make it at all. You are a kind and wonderful man, Sir. ((And may I say, I still get a kick out of your spoon, every time i see a picture :D )

10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Points can be easily tallied by using two of those clicker things that are used to cout occupancy in a night club. That way we can have full action no handicaps and action for the full lenght of a match. Easy to track points one click for a single strike two clicks for thrust double slash etc. Just a thought. I won't write more on it here though

11. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

12. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Sounds like you two want to coordinate a sparring event. I know @blaquerogue is going to be there fully decked out with his armor and weapons... I don't have much but if we get some people to bring some swords and whatnot I think this could work great! (I might have a slot in the "dreamt schedule" that I already put a similar event that I'd love to replace with this!!!) What do you guys think? Up for getting something planned for attendees who want to either watch or partake in?

13. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I dont know if ill be able to coordinate that with all the other things im working on for this event but......(egrin) possibly:cool:

14. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Wow i really messed that up lol

15. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Once I have my trip set up I woukd enjoy orchistating a sparing event. I'm still waiting on one thing before I make travel arrangements. I definitely want to attend. I dont want to make plans without knowing Im going to 100% going to be there. Once that is finalized I perhaps we can chat about it?

EDIT: might be a week or two before I know for sure.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  16. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Great looking Pendant Winfield. Laz I think you NEED ONE. ;)

17. stile

stile Avatar

Violation is already aware as I was in on some of the more recent pre-discussions, alas as things stand currently, I cannot attend. :(

Very disappointed! I would have loved to bring the LARP on with my three, 10' tables, and over $10,000.00 in LARP'ing and gaming merchandise, and offered some excellent discounts to my fellow community members! :(

Ill be attending virtually as much as I can and rooting you all on!!

I got a blog piece out on the SotACon event as well:
    http://www.thecaverns.net/Wordpress/sota-con-2016-east-coast-announced/

Anyone that hasn't gotten to attend anything like this before, I can't recommend it enough! It is a good time.

18. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

I DO Need One :)

19. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I'd love to encourage people who are attending to augment this event. This really is designed to be what WE make it. If you want to have something happen just mention it. If there is traction there's a good chance it will happen! There are a lot of grand ideas right now and they've included everything from quests, meals, panels, demonstrations, games, dances, a concert, training, a play, and more! The ideas are grand but the two things that are needed at this point: attendees and facilities. I'm extremely excited to see how this is starting and I'm hoping that it continues. I don't know what it will look like in the end but the vision is clear: let's all get together, grow together, and share ideas. I'm almost 100% sure attendees will leave the event starting relationships with new friends, and new memory with old friends!

@Winfield, thanks for the pictures! They're great! I think it's important to notice that there was garb in all those photos... we should try that here too! I'd love to encourage people to wear something fun to this if they want! I'm not in any way discouraging people from coming in street cloths or formal attire if they'd rather... but I'm wanting to welcome clothing that is themed for the event. I plan on trying to have a "best dressed" and awarding them with a small trophy of some sort! I personally will be wearing both street cloths on some days and garb on others. Thursday and Sunday are likely my street cloths days (yeah, I'll be getting there a day early for reasons) and Friday/Saturday are probably going to be my garb days.

Absolutely!

Very sad you aren't going to make it. I really wanted to support your business and have you be a vendor there and I know it's right up your alley in events types... just a bit far for you to drive all those wares! Who knows, maybe something will change! Thanks for the article and post here.

20. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Later today I'll be releasing a very short video showing off the SotA Con Chaos Star(r).

I'd like to direct people to start showing their interest in the event by marking yourself interested on Facebook. This will help me with getting a headcount: https://www.facebook.com/events/869917676474853/

If you donated $60 or more already and DID NOT use your SotA name or real name and want a "badge" (I see at least one anonymous) please be sure you email info@sotacon.org for the badge. If your donation is simply for support and you do not plan on attending it's greatly appreciated! There are so many who want to come and look to be falling short on the financial side. The several donations I see from people who aren't attending was exactly what I hoped for so those who wanted and were able but couldn't afford to would still have the opportunity. Thanks!

I'm working on possibly having event challenge coins and event shirts available. Are event specific trinkets that can be purchased at the event something of interest? 100% of the vendors at the location will either be event sponsors OR from this community. To be clear: I'm not looking to bring people in simply to profiteer... I just like to shop when I go to a con and often want more than one of whatever items that might be handed out so I figured having the availability to either get them on the spot or order additionals would be something people might want.

I'm currently trying to work with Relics by Rild to be the primary vendor but he's proving difficult to align with ( @rild ) so I won't make any promises on this front yet... but my vision was to have Relics T-shirt available for this event and an event challenge coin and both would be picked up at his booth and additionals could be purchased/ordered at his booth. My goal is to also have him make a few bucks off of this (we haven't talked cash yet) because it's what he does for income. I think everyone is okay with supporting people in their business. In the event that this happens, what does everyone think about that goal?

Shortlist:
    • look for a video soon
    • please click attending/interested on facebook (if you plan on going or are trying to make it work)
    • please email if you donated anonymous and still want a spot reserved
    • feedback on trinkets
    • feedback on Rild being the place to get trinkets (100% up in the air... just putting out feelers)
    Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.