Welcome New Players!

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Berek, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

In our efforts to improve the forum experience for everyone, especially new players not familiar with the forums, we're creating this space to welcome you!

If you are a new player, please use this forum to post about yourself and what you are having fun with in Shroud of the Avatar so far, and what you are looking forward too in the months ahead. Ask any questions you have and the community Hospitallers and others will be ready to answer.

I am keeping this thread open for discussion on improving this forum section.

Welcome!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  2. Sheamus McGuinness

Sheamus McGuinness Avatar

YES! Great job @Berek on getting this up. I think New Players will REALLY appreciate it!

FrostII, Montaigne, Time Lord and 3 others like this.
  3. Shamus Runeville

Shamus Runeville Avatar

Awesome! Thanks @Berek Had a blast as a guest at the HoBLoth III and excited to play and explore SotA more as well as meet new people. :)

FrostII, Merrik, Time Lord and 3 others like this.
  4. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Avatar

Hi new avatars! Welcome.....

(taps on the glass of the fish tank) Tap. Tap. Tap.

Piroska, FrostII, Merrik and 3 others like this.
  5. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

IBTL ... oh wait... *clears throat* HUZZAH! - WELCOME! - WILLKOMMEN! - Greetings Avatars and citizens of Earth (aka, Future Avatars). Please feel free to ignore the dark closet skeletons and unsmelted ore we have laying around... look, goooooold. There's goooooold in the cave *lures the new players in with eye-candy before they can realize they're addicted and can't stop playing*

If someone who is new can't find an answer and aren't a fan of public forums please feel free to click my name (to the left) and click "Start a Conversation" to PM me. I'll gladly answer questions for people to help get started!

6. Mata

Mata Avatar

Herzlich willkommen! :)

7. Phydra

Phydra Avatar

Greetings, New Avatars!

This game has been in the works for three years as of my post and that's actually still quite young for a full-on new world to be built. Did you know that new MMO games generally take between 3 - 7 years to reach "full feature complete" status? And in today's indie game development market, you're usually here engaging with a team of between 30 - 70 people (but on occasion you'll find one that's on either end of the far reaches of the spectrum).

What I'm trying to say is that Portalarium as a company have been wearing themselves out making this game and, as creative artists and developers in this industry (not to mention several being, literally, legendary in the industry), they know far better than ANY of us here where the game is or isn't "where it should be".

What they don't know is what you think about what they've presented so far; but what they need is to hear both WHAT you think, WHY you thinking it, and probably most important of all, HOW you think it should change to be what you're interested in playing.

If you are the kind of person who doesn't really post at length (and maybe you've even been here a LONG time lurking), so aren't one to tend toward wanting to "freestyle" a bunch of stuff, here's a general user experience interview that you might find helpful. Please feel free to add to it as you see fit (via PM) and I'll update it so anyone who wants to use it as a template can do so. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. If you had to place yourself on a scale of interest in this game at this time (between 1 and 100), where would you say is your interest right now?
    2. Can you give a short list of specific things that aren't here that you'd like to see?
    3. Can you speak a little about WHY you want these things? (Remember: There's no wrong answer here because we're just interested in your view!)
    4. Is it safe to assume that the things you speak of in #3, if present, would raise your score?
    5. If so, by how much?
    6. If we're still not at 100%, can you tell us what else is either missing, or you haven't heard enough about to decide if/how it interests you?
    7. If you could make ONE suggestion for ONE specific change that is NOT world changing, what would it be and why would you choose it over any other thing?
    8. Finally, if you could ask ONE question and known you would get a direct response that would not end until you explicitly stated your understanding of it, what would you ask?
    Remember to flag your post with @DarkStarr for ease of finding for the guy (he's stupidly overworked).

Again, welcome! Long may your path run with ours!!

(edit for silly typo.)

8. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

@Berek

I think having a forum focal directed at the new SotA player is great. I think it's possible the new player might not intuitively seek out the forum.
    If there were a notice on the homepage calling attention to it it might help?

jus my 2 cents for the day

FrostII, Mata, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  9. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Thanks Berek for making the forums a more welcoming place. And new people, welcome :D

FrostII, Mata and Time Lord like this.
  10. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Thanks for the welcome. :) New Player Alert! Well, not super new. I think I bought in about 3-4 weeks ago, but RL makes it hard to play. Well, that's not totally honest, the impending wipe has made it a bit difficult to play as well. But I am still logging in to try stuff out and get a feel for the game.

I also made friends quite quickly (shout out to House Serenite of Grunvald!) and was ABSOLUTELY FLOORED when I entered their PoT. FLOORED!!!! So much so that I kicked myself for not acting on one of the lower pledges for a village lot. But then I heard they are sold in game (for a lot! I...must...kill...for....gold), so I went ahead and got me a Wizard's Tower. Because, you know....I am a mad wizard!

Keep making this game great please!

I was actually in a fix for some Ultima - I spent many hours getting to the end of IV and still count that (maybe with nostalgia-tinted glasses) the best gaming experience of my life. And it was single-player! Before jumping on board with SotA (I was hesitant because of all the early access hoopla), I actually signed up for UO - which I had not played since 2002. Met a bunch of good people there as well. I split my time between here and there.

Anyways, enough of my ranting. And thanks for making this game and making us n00bs feel welcome.

Mata, Acred and Time Lord like this.
  11. DwarfStar

DwarfStar Guest

Looking forward to many blind stumblings, random bumblings, several dumb mistakes and finally some serious adventuring woot...now where did I put that codpiece?

12. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Welcome!

Time Lord, Berek and Mata like this.
  13. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Greetings and salutations DwarfStar, welcome to SotA!

Time Lord and Mata like this.
  14. Merrik

Merrik Bug Hunter

hmmm I am getting this feeling of deja vu.....
    must remember NOT to herd 200 rabbits into trinsic this time.... nobody laughed....

15. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I'm almost certain that @Amber Raine would laugh if you did it this time...

Amber Raine and Time Lord like this.
  16. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

I am all in favour of this! I am also in favour of training chickens to killer level and sending them loose in PvP towns ;) ((i "may" have done something similar in UO - had a herd of killer chickens ;) ))

17. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I've already tried to convince @RichardGarriott to add a doom chicken into the game and make it official lore... he wasn't against it but I've yet to find this doom chicken. I think now that we have taming it would be hilarious if it got added because people would "try" to tame it... :D

18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~Vas Kal An Mani In Corp Hur Tym~
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]o_O...

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
    Cordelayne likes this.
  19. Merrik

Merrik Bug Hunter

I would definitely try to tame a doom chicken.....

20. Ariella Shadowdancer

Ariella Shadowdancer Avatar

Death by rabbit/chicken!