Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Mastercraft Rant

Discussion in 'Release 31 Feedback Forum' started by 2112Starman, Jul 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

ok, I've now killed 3 Bronze chests and 2 Bronze legs trying to mastercraft. I just dont get it.

The table says I have a 85% chance. Im now something like 3 for 8 in success.

Can you guys check your math???

(in fact, I know you guys need to check your math just based on the number of times I just failed smelting and making some stuff with a 98% chance)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
    Chatele, Xandra7 and Alley Oop like this.
  2. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

There need to be some kind of biased offset for those who have higher than 70% success chance. It just seems like RNG seeds tends to be against player's favor.

3. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

I've masterworked and enchanted maybe more than anyone and despite some early skepticism (I too have busted multiple plate chests and leggings) I'm fairly certain the math is legit.

Currently I'm at 95/80/44% for attempts 1/2/3 and the first hardly ever fails, the second usually never does, and the third... I don't gamble on it often but I'm probably batting 50%.

I have all of the armor I need and just managed a +12 sword so I can help enchant/masterwork some stuff if you'd like. @2112Starman what kind of material are you using?

mbomber and Oba Evesor like this.
  4. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I just killed some Bronze chain legs that were masterworks :(

I was doing the usual 5 silver ingot master craft.

5. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

I'll help you out with some copper/tin in a little bit if you're still on... friend me same name as in forum.

Failures are painful but it'll make the people who actually ensure through it despite the setbacks have the best stuff (like my +32 STR plate or +12 sword ;))... those took me a LOT of failures and material.

6. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I don't like the odds ... too much work for my pleasure, I don't call that fun ....

NRaas likes this.
  7. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

How much higher do you think the percentages should be? Not sure if instead of 95/80/44% I was 96/82/47, 97/84/50, or 98/86/53 it would make these weapons any more meaningful to make.

As is, it's going to take me millions of gold to GM this skill so that should account for something. I see enchanting/masterworking as a profession so I wouldn't want it to be too much easier than it is now... I have some really good stuff after only a month.

8. agra

agra Avatar

Same. Won't be using it.
    Currently it's entirely punitive and more like fixed-so-the-house-always-wins gambling. No thanks.

mbomber likes this.
  9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Better for the people that are willing to do it.
    Less people selling = better prices.

10. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

You are so wrong ..... Earl .... less crafters = higher prices because there won't be much in the way of competition to keep prices fair ...... JMHO and from experience .... So the more crafters there are ... the better the prices, less is not best ....

agra likes this.
  11. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

I think Earls point was it's better for the people willing to craft, as they make more profit due to the higher sale prices.

12. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

It's not good for anyone if an item isn't worth the cost of making it.

agra likes this.
  13. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

@Noric you around? :)
    The RNG feels off. Tested and re-tested, by a few people.

It seems to average out properly. So if you have a 80% chance and do 1000 items you should get roughly 800 out of it, and you do.

The problem lies in their strings of failures. Even w/an 80% chance, when doing 1000 you might get a string of 15-20 failures, those numbers are off. That's like a 1/1m chance, yet it happens often.

Since this is a mastercraft rant thread I will contribute this:

Wood masterworking for wands is awful.
    ALL the wood bonus now are for Bludgeon/Polearm. Weapon DMG, Weapon Crit that kind of thing. All useless when mastercrafting WANDS!

Alley Oop likes this.
  14. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Why is it that no one complains about the RNG ans small sample sizes when they get 10 or 12 success in a row? The only time I've seen complaints is when people get 10 or 12 failures in a row. If a string of failures is bad, shouldn't a string of successes be just as bad?

15. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Depends on your point of view, doesn't it?
    You pretty much said the same just with a negative Touch.

Let me add something to think about:
    The crafters in this game want to be important. They want to creat everything. They want to craft exceptional things and rares.
    The downside of rares is that they are....well....rare.
    So the only way (if crafters craft everything) to keep rares rare is a painful production process.

In other words: you can't have both.

16. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

It does depend on why the item is rare though. I agree with you that it's good to have some items that are very difficult/expensive/time consuming to craft. I think most people would agree with that. However, if the item produced in that process isn't worth anything near the investment to make it, that is not something that benefits anyone. The demand for an item won't go up simply because the supply is low if the reason the supply is low is because it's an overpriced item.

17. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Sure.
    But you can't tell untill we get past final wipe.
    So that's a rather academic discussion.

Lazlo likes this.
  18. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I've been complaining about that several times.
    However a big part of the bias is that only fails are listed in the chat log so they are much easier to track.

Which is why I've multiple times requested that both Craft fail/success and Harvest fail/success should go into the extended log with the percentage of the roll. That way we could easily sort our chat log to report inconsistencies of the RNG. As is you have to make your own notes outside the game - which is silly.

Right now it seems they use unity's randomizer and that it produces too long cyclic results. Which does even out over time but gives very silly results when you get those repeated streaks of bad/good luck.
    Like failing ten times in a row at 90%. Or succeeding 8 times in a row at 12%. Both happened me in the same crafting session.

4EverLost likes this.
  19. agra

agra Avatar

I have no intention of buying any crafted gear, ever. Why would I? I can beat all the content I desire in the game using the gear I buy from NPC's, or what I loot from the dead I kill.

20. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Seems to me this is (probably) working as intended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.