Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Linux - Isle of storm - Starting with a new character make the game crashes

Discussion in 'Release 31 Bug Forum' started by Debcool, Jul 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debcool

Debcool Avatar

Title: Linux - Isle of storm - Starting with a new character make the game crash
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker? Yes.
    Details: The scene and the character appear briefly. The scene seems to go far away in the dark while the character looks like when you're dead; then game crashes.
    Steps to Reproduce: Create a new character, start.

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel i7-3770 @ 4.3 GHz (8 cores) System RAM: 16 Go 1960 MHz
    GPU: GeForce GTX 760 GPU RAM: 2048 Mo

SotA.EarlyAccess.Linux.64.435.Date.07.02.16

AvatarGG, Spartus and Arcanoxer like this.
  2. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

@Debcool, Have you tried the 32 bit client?

Spartus likes this.
  3. Arcanoxer

Arcanoxer Avatar

I have the same issue, i realy hope that R32 is playable for Linux Users!

Title: Linux - Isle of storm - Starting with a new character make the game crash
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker? Yes.
    Details: The scene and the character appear briefly. The scene seems to go far away in the dark while the character looks like when you're dead; then game crashes.
    Steps to Reproduce: Create a new character, start.

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel i7-4790k
    RAM: 32GB
    GPU: GeForce GTX 970

SotA.EarlyAccess.Linux.64.435.Date.07.02.16

Spartus likes this.
  4. Spartus

Spartus Avatar

Confirmed having the same issue with the 64-bit client. But it does allow me in using the 32-bit client. Thanks for the suggestion, @Bluefire. In the 64-bit client, I could not enter the game at all and didn't have an existing character to try. After I logged in and chose a name, it took me to the Isle of Storm and looked okay for about 1 second, then I saw a black silhouette of my character and it rose away from the world which went black, and sometimes the text would say that I am in a strange new place, and then it crashed and exited back to the Launcher, all within about 6 seconds. The gender of the character had no effect. The "start on world map" option was grayed out on subsequent logins. The "disable cloth" option had no effect.

However, after creating my character model on Isle of Storm using the 32-bit client, I was then able to resume the game at Solace Bridge using the 64-bit client.

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel Core i3-540
    RAM: 8GB
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    Nvidia driver: 367.27 (also tried 352.79)

SotA.EarlyAccess.Linux.64.437.Date.07.01.16

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    Bluefire and Arcanoxer like this.
  5. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

This is because your character starts off dead and, as we know, on Linux there is an outstanding bug where if you're dead you fly out of the scene. I'm a little annoyed that Portalarium would change this scene to start this way when they knew all about this bug for two releases. In any case, the workaround is the same as for the death bug, press a direction key and keep it pressed until you can double click on the mirror.

6. Spartus

Spartus Avatar

Thanks Wintermute, the last time I played was a few months ago, before that bug was introduced, and didn't know about it. I tried holding down the WASD keys using the 64-bit client, and as long as I didn't release a key I could make my way to the mirror and click on it. It took me several tries to do this, as it required a fair amount of coordination. After I created the character model, the mirror dumped me back out in space again with no way back down, but then I was able to quit and restart, and it put me on Isle of Storms normally. So that is an option to get into the game using only the 64-bit client (although it will be an effective blocker for new users that don't know the workaround).

7. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Confirmed, this is a known issue related to the current state of Linux and Unity crashing. Linux crashing and bugs are escalated for resolution priority along with general crash fixes. Thank you for reporting.

Soliwilos and Arcanoxer like this.
  8. Debcool

Debcool Avatar

Salut,
    Sorry for the delay.
    Thanks for the tip, it worked! Despite of the other non-blocking bugs now I can "play" on the 64bit version but still frustrating too that Linux version hasn't been addressed for a long time now.

I am "affraid" for the final released because what will happend to the players if they can't play properly during their respective choosing lot window? I mean, the window is quite short and we have to do/reach a certain/some stuff/ level before beeing able to choose our spot.

Frankly, I'll be really pissed off because having spent about 1200$ and could not be able to choose one of the lot I have in mind (I mean that the next rounds of players could get one or even all them before I can do)...

Has Portalarium thought about that worst case scenario and what will the do for these players?

Arcanoxer and Wintermute of CoF like this.
  9. Maerlin Rebeard

Maerlin Rebeard Avatar

This is really bad. I haven't played that last couple of releases because things were so buggy on Linux. Now I can't even start the game!?

I saw what looked like the same bug for MacOS.

With these kinds of stability issues for Linux in the last few releases, the same or similar stability issues for MacOS that I've been reading about in Known issues for several releases, and the fact that until this release Windows 10 wasn't even officially supported, is this really ready for final wipe in R32?

I feel its a bit unfair to have lot selection when there is a subset of backers that can't even play.

I would love to see some statistics on what OS and OS release active accounts are using.

I haven't been able to get the work-around to work for me yet - hitting 'W', 'A', 'S', or 'D' seems to have no effect when I pop into the game after character creation and I immediately fly up to black and the client crashes. I'm not clear where to download the 32bit client. The 'download client' section on my account page just downloads a am64.deb - I don't see any way to choose what I download.

10. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

I don't think they'd be that helpful as the number of people playing is related to the quality of the experience.

11. Arcanoxer

Arcanoxer Avatar

Two Weaks left and the Bug still exists and is not mentioned in the known issues from the current Build (444).
    I have a bad feeling about this.

12. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

If it's not listed in Known Issues, it's a bug. I promise you, as they purveyor of bugs and issues to the team, I remind the studio of Linux's current state every morning. A fix is currently relying on the combined efforts with Unity. If a fix is not present soon, we will redouble our efforts toward supporting a workaround, at the very least, to make sure the Wipe event goes as smoothly as possible.

We apologize for the inconveniences faced for the past several releases since this issue has been introduced. We are continuing to work toward a permanent solution.

13. Arcanoxer

Arcanoxer Avatar

It's a shame, still no Fix in R32. So they realy expect us to glitch into Novia or die trying, literally.
    The workaround was not working for me in the previous release, always crash to Desktop (Ubuntu 16.04 and SteamOS).

At least it's on the Known Issues list now...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EQczZJxj38npLbysCEjSa_xiWwx7jQ9zFgvX9yPg2xY/pub

Linux:
    Being stationary as a ghost causes the Avatar to be hurled into space and the client to crash. As new Avatars appear as ghosts this potentially blocks new Avatar creation. THIS CAN BE WORKED AROUND BY CONSTANTLY MOVING WHILE A GHOST ON THE ISLE OF STORMS. On creating a new Avatar move continuously until you reach the magic mirror, create a physical form, and cease being a ghost.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    Spartus likes this.
  14. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

I haven't really played for a good while now because of the Linux issues, and the fact that they are still here is worrying me regarding lot selection which begins tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.