Lace's Tutorial Videos and random informational videos

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Lace, Jul 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lace

Lace Avatar

So I have been making a slew of new player tutorials and most are getting linked on sotahelp.org which is the site that folks have been talking about for connecting directly with someone volunteering their time to be a hospitaller and aid new and old players alike.

Keep in mind I had never made a video until 2016 (when post was started) but over time the quality and content I feel is improving as I learn new tricks etc.

**NEW-8/16/16** By request there is now a playlist of all these videos, but I will continue to add notes on them individually. The playlist is in reverse chronological order with the newest being first.

New Videos added to list 2-1-19

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLw_HS_MivFItXCQ5hYwpDjpyYNlvmBhWf

If you have a request for a specific type of video let me know.
    • R67 Shroud of the Avatar-Lace's Briefs #1 Shopping
    • Shroud of the Avatar R65- Craftable Deco Guide
    • R63 Shroud of the Avatar Lace's Basics to Crafting and Getting a Leg Up
    • R62 Governors Label your town! (help out your residents/shoppers and event attendees)
    • R56 Shroud of the Avatar.net and uploading your receipts and looking at vendor data.
    • R56 Where to get wood and granite in preparation for Dungeons
    • R56 Group Finding and Building Groups Loot Options and Auto Roll
    • R55 Shroud of the Avatar using the non combat bar in combat
    • R55 Shroud of the Avatar Get Pumped for The Price is Right
    • R53 Shroud of the Avatar Crafting Deep Dive for MW and Enchanting
    • R53 Free Western Inn Room Rental in Diamond Fields (think tv show westworld)
    • R53 Editing POT maps for governors (and resident expectations)
    • R53 Getting Your Heraldry/Blazon Designed
    • Armor/Weapons Maintenance Buff from Elysium Mines Walkthrough
    • Playing Music in Groups
    • R52 Reagents, Farmers, and basement growing
    • R52 Sign Making, Storage Chest patterning and storage solutions
    • R52 Buy Orders and Vendor Insight
    • Sieges-Appreciate why they exist and navigate them as low level toon
    • /z is zone Chat for You and Me
    • Recipe and Emote Trading - Find launch events for free ones
    • Finding new places to hunt by Tier/Scene Difficulty
    • Quest Walk Through 12 books Chaos and Virtue Statues
    • One of my favorite T4 zones North Brightbone Wooeds
    • Using Poison,maps, free recipes and newbie hunting tips
    • R51 Combat Decks Briefing-Learn from my mistakes
    • A couple Tier 4 and 5 spots for fast paced killing solo
    • Why I now adore potion of wolf speed and how to get to that fabled Monkey room in Krul even as a somewhat lower leveled player.
    • Sota Wiki Tutorials #5 updated file upload information and random song contest
    • Free Inn Room rentals and storage solutions in Diamond Fields as of R50
    • Wall Decorations from Questing
    • RNG in Crafting and my superstitions
    • RNG Primer- What is RNG and how does it relate to fate
    • New Refining Skills as of R50
    • R50 Barbarian Clan Armor
    • P is for Plume and using it to find lot markers in POT or NPC towns as well as the town crier for finding available lots.
    • Hats, Tiaras, Headdresses and current state of mw or enchanting them.
    • Tips and Tricks for Producer XP per hour bumps for new and old players
    • Etceter Crag Mines one route for 275-300 Gold ore an hour
    • Elysium Mines One Route for 275-300 ore an hour
    • Home Ownership 2 parts
    • Leveling up your foraging, harvesting, mining etc skills as new player
    • Buying and Selling 3 parts
    • Mail System in SOTA
    • Fishing in SOTA
    • Crafting and Gathering Tools
    • Accessing Web Links from Chat
    • Emotes learning and teaching
    • Devotionals/Town Blessings 1 part
    • All about Recipes 5 parts
    • Printing Books and Materials 7 parts
    • Playing and Creating Music in Game 4 parts
    • Acquiring add on store items without IRL cash ( 2 parts)
    • GMing skills and what grandmatering should mean
    • Chat Tab customization and chat shortcut keys 2 parts
    • Game Offline Mode
    • Game Modes
    • Game Settings Introduction
    • Hospitaller System
    • Room Rental System
    • Caveat Emptor - Buyer Beware video on purchasing goods
    • Spying on POTS to help your shopping experience
    • Lace's Crafting School 3 parts with in game books you can get for free
    • R48 Norguard BOOTS WITH THE FUR! plan your free holiday outfits! (with fur)
    • R48 Still Feeling Polearm love
    • R47 Pole arm Love, Fashion drops, new crafting components and tips and tricks.
    • 3rd Annual Breast Cancer Awareness Bi-athalon Race Route Primer.
    • R46 Agriculture Preview and Tips for quickly boosting this, plus clocks and new furniture
    • Lace's Tips and Tricks September 2017
    • R44 Shroud of the Avatar -Paid Advertisement by Jett Blackheart
    • R43 Shroud of the Avatar as of R43 what Mentoring and GM should mean to new and old players
    • R43 Shroud of the Avatar Novian World Series of Poker Practice Addendum
    • R43 Shroud of the Avatar - Diamond Fields and Prism Present the Novian World Series of Poker Practice Session Round

• R43 Putting Colors, Font changes and ASCII art to work for you in your published books and to a lesser degree in you bulletin board flyers. (uploading now)
    • R43 Various websites to aid you and Bulletin Board Madness
    • R43 Uses of the Public API and why you should dance about it
    • R42 Using Private Vendors on your lots (not commission free ones). Why aren't more folks using these?
    • R42 Shroud of the Avatar The Holy Trinity of STR, DEX and INT buffing and boosting
    • R41 Book Salvaging, Discarding from Dynamic Decks, the new Heat maps for decks in R42, Repairing armor in field vs on a table, Spectral Mines, be careful when buying armor, and again using crap armor for mundane things.
    • R41 Lace's Trophy Room Contest Entry and Preview of the Putt Putt Golf Course that is finally almost completed
    • R41 Trophy Room Contests - My favorite spots for Pristine Heads
    • R41 Emotes, RHPS, Furniture and Armor Decay Tips
    • R40 Diamond Fields Presents its First Fishing Derby
    • R40 Armor Resistances and Mix and Match Benefits/Caveats R40
    • R40 "Hoppy Easter" promotion, The Death Bunny Walkthrough and more
    • R39 Shroud of the Avatar Mine Cart Rides (how to get there)
    • Enchanting and Masterwork Overhaul Tutorial for R38, with suggestions aka tips and tricks
    • New player how to find help and ways to make some coin (not all inclusive)
    • How to GM Salavaging and Repair Skill and why you might want to.
    • PSA for how to access Twins foothills during bugs
    • Diamond Fields why our layout is crafer friendly and open lots available
    • R36 Highlight Reel
    • R36 is coming are you ready? (See beginning and end of video for the big highlights -see middle for recipe locations.
    • R35 Sota Wiki Tutorial Part 4 - Promoting your Guild or POT
    • R35 Highlight Reel and Tips and Tricks.
    • R34 New Britannia Breast Cancer Awareness Biathalon route preview - added for posterity
    • R34 What is the best thing to make to level up xxx crafting Part 2 the magic numbers of 40,50 and 72 and what I have used to level up with.
    • R34 What is the best thing to make to level up xxxx crafting Part 1 understanding refining and the benefits of multi station crafting.
    • R34 cooking basics, expectations, economy and penalties
    • R34 Highlights and glimpse at food duration chart - chart to be posted on forums 9-29
    • Shroud of the Avatar F11 screenshots, In game Guild/POT/Vendor Listing Message Board Sample
    • Tour of Prism Boat in Siren Song Bayou that any guild or group may use at anytime that it is not in use for our guild and its events.
    • PAVA's (Portable Aetheric Vibration Amplifiers) and Royal Elderberry Dye (royal purple)
    • R33 Buyer Beware Of Scammers
    • Tax free deeds, paying lot taxes, pot only and reducing your friends rent from an act of kindness.
    • Enchanting, Masterworking and Public Vendor limit changes as of 8-15
    • Thanks to the community, silver gold and coto paintings aka concept artwork
    • Land Rush strategies, Marketing and Money Making
    • Chat Commands, Chat Tabs and 3rd Party Recipe Reliability
    • Putt Putt Golf Course Location and Rules for End of World Paryt 7-27-16 at 9-10pm NBT in the theme of Game of Thrones.
    • Fishing Basics
    • Housing Decoration Placement Commands and Item Stacking
    • Taming for Beginners (from a beginner)
    • Printing Books and Flyers - Legitimate uses and not so much, saving and importing text, and mass reproduction.
    • Emotes -listing from sotawiki, how to use in game and how to free form emote in game.
    • Instruments and music playing in game, where to save files, where to find files and instrument limitations
    • Lot permissions, Chest/Container Permissions for players and POT/Guild houses
    • Signs-crafting them, customizing them
    • Mining locations on the Overland Map, the scene navigation to all mines as of R31, current materials and crystal info
    • /Stuck command, reporting bugs and secondary components to Teleport to Friend
    • New Character Creation, UI Settings, Starter Zone Tips and Tricks
    • Raw Pricing Vendor Marketing and how to find "Deals"
    • Crafting Recipe Locations, High level Overview of Crafting.
    • Shourd of the Avatar Wiki Tutorial Part 3 - Flagging Bad Info, Best Practices and Uploading pictures
    • Shroud of the Avatar Wiki Tutorial Part 2-Searching, Templates and Concepts behind the pages
    • Overland Map Navigation, Random Encounters, and a brief Glossary of Terms-How to tell npc towns from pot/prt towns, definitions of some commong terns, and the idea behind a random encounter.
    • Mini Maps, Compass Locations and POT usuable land-How to use mini maps, using your compass and finding flat areas in POT's
    • "New You" locations-How to change your character customization after initial player creation (as of R31)
    • Stealables, Gustballs and Paintings-Guides on types of stealables, where to find gustballs an paintings (as of R31)
    • Combat Skills Part 2-Combat decks, and static versus random skills, when to use what. How to use combat decks to change appearance.
    • Combat Skills Part 1-Overview of the UI, skills you may want to focus on, how training skills affect your 'pool' of experience, advanced trainers, attunement, tiers and experience gained, grandmaster,
    • Travel Methods-Teleport Scrolls, Recall Scrolls, Coconuts and basic movement commands for navigation in SOTA.
    • Shroud of the Avatar Wiki Tutorials Part I-Basic navigation and highlighting the main page of the wiki
    • Phonographs, Radios, POT music and Wax Cylinders-This covers all the various ways to play music in the game via devices. This does not include creating/playing .abc or .mml files on musical instruments in the game (that will be another tutorial)
    • MIDI to MML for band breakout-Music is one of the wonderful features in Shroud of the Avatar, however there is a bit of a learning curve. This video is more advanced and shows a technique for taking a midi file which are more bountiful on the internet and breaking it into specific instrument/band player pieces.
    • Masterwork, Mastercraft and Enchanting-While originally shot for the R30 iteration, I have added comments about the R31 changes and what that means. This video talks about the pre-requisites, the cost of gambling for enchantments and whiy sellers may pass that cost on to you.
    • Coin of the Obsidian COTO-One of my first videos, and not the best but proof of concept and if you don't believe me well watch video and be assaulted with the Driving and Crying song Fly me Courageous. While not particularly widely encompassing, it was something I was interested in looking at the rewards and did the math work. My humble opinion if you are super high level and using them, it is an edge, but I do not see it as a benefit I would use since the timer counts down even when I am offline. Maybe Feedback that timer countdown.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Krissa Lox, Sivon, Netsurai and 43 others like this.
  2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

3. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Great work Lace! You should create a website called Lace.com as a SotA version of Lynda.com

4. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Very nice Lace! I would love to get these into a Playlist on the YouTube page. We can share the videos real easy that way.

5. Celthon

Celthon Avatar

Thank you for taking the time and putting forth the effort to help others like this.

6. Lace

Lace Avatar

I will work on creating a playlist for these probably not till this weekend

7. Lace

Lace Avatar

couple new videos added as of tonight for mini maps (with caveats) and overland map travel. (added to bottom of running list at top)

the focal point is new players on these last 2 but enjoy.

Will work on linking a playlist, but want to keep maintaining a searchable this way too.

8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

That is sooo needed! and thank you sooo much Lace!
    [​IMG]
    Because all the new troops are coming and you're right on time!
    ~Time Lord~:D

9. Celthon

Celthon Avatar

@Lace

In your video re: Maps & Compass Navigation you mentioned wanting to be able to stop the maps from fading out -- open your Options menu, then click Game, then about halfway down the list look for "Enable Transparency On Maps", and clear the box (remove the checkmark so you have an empty box for this one), and then close and return to game...your maps will now not fade out.

I do not know yet how this may or may-not affect other screens/windows in your HUD/interface, so might be a good idea to check things out before running into a dungeon and then finding out this causes other things to be affected. But it does stop the maps from fading...which was frustrating to me.

Thank you again for taking the time to make these videos to help us newbies!

10. Lace

Lace Avatar

Thanks hun let me try this out .. YOU ROCK!

11. Lace

Lace Avatar

3 new videos added to list , one is still publishing but will be there in a bit
    Playlist link added to top posting as well.

12. Lace

Lace Avatar

Well folks for probably a good reason only 15 pieces of media can be shown on a single thread entry.

So I have added 2 more videos in the last few days --- please see in red at the top for the playlist to start accessing the newest videos, the playlist is in descending order by date by when I uploaded them ..

I will post every 2 or 3 videos or so when I add new content to that playlist at the top.

13. Ajacied1987

Ajacied1987 Avatar

U are doing a great job on these vids lace, keep up the good work ^^

14. Lace

Lace Avatar

2 more videos added to playlist see red area at original post at top.

15. Lace

Lace Avatar

2 more videos added today and thinking about reorganizing the main post to be just links not video embeds, will include the playlist but also give a more text driven description of each video to help folks hunt and peck rather than scanning a playlist.

16. DuKe NuKeM

DuKe NuKeM Avatar

Thanks for all the great information and intuitive guides, walkthroughs . You are a truly great asset to the community.

Bow Vale, Celthon, Lace and 2 others like this.
  17. Lace

Lace Avatar

The individual video links have been removed and now just a text list of the ones available are there in order by the playlist which is by date descending order. So you should not need to travel from the original post.

Time Lord and Celthon like this.
  18. Lace

Lace Avatar

3 new videos added to list one is publishing now, but expect to see a huge push from me in the next few days as we approach final wipe.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Lace

Lace Avatar

3 new videos added (last one is publishing now) and they are documented in the top thread.

This is likely the last set until final wipe that were dependent on either my personal level to shoot them, or having items to use in demos. I do not suspect to do any more of this nature for a few weeks after final wipe.

I do have some non 'resource' dependent videos to do in my backlog and will get them up as time permits.

I have a little time this evening, some tomorrow evening and some early wednesday where I could possibly put together some more if there are timely requests between now and then.

So read over the list, and let me know of anything that would be useful for the influx of new players we should see over the next few weeks that I have overlooked.

(And thanks for watching)

20. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Lace likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.