Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Disappointed

Discussion in 'Release 32 Feedback Forum' started by Xander Xavier, Jul 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xander Xavier

Xander Xavier Avatar

@RichardGarriott
    In past releases you ran us through every beginning battle as though we arrived on the scene like we had chosen that path. This time you added an irrevocable consequence to choosing the path you were trying to push us down. Perhaps the sharpest of the players knew what to expect, but the rest of us expected we would be required to run through each opening battle as a part of following each virtue path. It therefore came as a shock to me that because I followed the path with which my character has long been identified that the little girl I had expected to rescue died and I would be left a failed by default quest.
    I feel you have done us an injustice for the following reasons:
    You tried to push us into a path that defined our starting identity and skills in our final character release.
    If we stuck to the path closest to our nature and and personal playing preferences you punished us by putting the death of a child on our conscience or at least a day one fail. Now for me her mother will forever linger in Soltown not knowing what became of her husband and child. Since Edvard will tell you Charlotte Gray and her father are dead this makes no sense at all that we cannot pass on this information to Abigail.
    You also did a disservice to those players who intend to become mages or warriors yet yielded to your urging to follow the path of the bow. These players ended up with a skill set that may or may not be useful to them and they had to spend their beginning experience pool to lay the correct foundation for the path they ready intend to follow. While I am merely guess at how much experience that will cost them, I am guessing you penalized everyone you talked into following the path of the bow who had not intended to 10,000-20,000 experience points.... Gee I feel better now:p.
    You did not have to do it this way. Rather than trying to pester mages and warriors into become rangers, you could have just run us all though Solace Bridge or you could have had the battle of Solace Bridge live whenever we got there. This was not a very nice thing to do to your players on day one and I was genuinely sadden and disappointed by it on what was a long anticipated day.

Sir_Hemlock, Aldo, Net and 2 others like this.
  2. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

How did you make Charlotte Gray dead?

Time Lord, Leelu and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  3. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Good feedback!

To be fair, developer notes have indicated this would be the case as construction continues and the other story lines are built out. You can always reroll later as new story lines are built if you wish. :)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  4. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

The XP thing can be remedied by selecting the down arrow in all skills you don't want where possible.
    About half the starter bow skills can be turned to XP this way.

As for Charlotte that is deliberate on the devs part. Choices that matter etc.
    While if I was bothered by such an early fail is simply restart, but that is me.

Time Lord and Fringe like this.
  5. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I am also curious Xander how you accomplished this?

I sat there while Edvard hacked away at the undead and no harm ever came to Charlotte as she was behind me. If the undead moved towards me, I killed them easily with the bow.

Please help us understand how this happened. Maybe you found a bug that was undetected?

You did say Yes to protect Charlotte, right?

Thank you.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I started at blood river, on the path of truth. I took the boat to Soltown. I talked to Charlotte's mother. I went to Solace Bridge. I searched everywhere, the town, the ruins. No Charlotte. On a whim, I asked Edvard about her. He said he found her and her father dead by the ruins. No chance to save her. And I can't even pass that info along to finish the quest.

On a side note, Ashton won't respond to complete the kill 5 undead quest. He just says "I don't understand." Also, I can't find Markus' body anywhere in Solace Bridge.

I'm off to a fabulous start.

7. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

This helps answers in what situations Charlotte will be dead. Thank y ou for posting this.

Time Lord and Solazur like this.
  8. Gix

Gix Avatar

That's not a failure, though. You weren't part of the Solace Bridge event because the path you were part of took place elsewhere, that character is dead. Such is life.

How are they pestering characters to go ranger? Did I miss something?

Time Lord and Alley Oop like this.
  9. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

It's not pestering. It's just the suggesting in the Isle to do the path of love (Bow) because it is more complete.

Time Lord and Elwyn like this.
  10. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Expect that once the other 2 story lines are worked on more, people that choose Love, will get a similar fate as they cant help in bloodriver ext...

margaritte and Time Lord like this.
  11. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

It's not so much that as it is clearing the quest off my current tasks list and getting a little xp for delivering the bad news.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Xander Xavier

Xander Xavier Avatar

The Oracle was suppose to be neutrally helping us choose between the paths of sword, bow, or magic, which determined our initial skill build. Yet at the end she basically pushes us to select a different starting character build if we did not choose bows. It would have been better if they had just run us all through Solace Bridge regardless of our path choice.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Yea thats just prolly an exception "bug" that hadnt been fixed/accounted for yet.

Basicly they need to write a bit of code that say "if started at bloodriver/ext > then Abigail will not update journal with quest.
    Or update it with a new modifier allowing you to tell her they are dead.

Just hasnt been written yet. But its good to note these expections happen, so they can close all loops.
    Guess it just wasnt very high on the priorities.

Im sure this will be remedied.

Time Lord and Gix like this.
  14. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

I've never understood what a path of virtue had to do with the selection of a weapon

idk.. I'd prefer a pool of build points we could allocate as we saw fit. I know...there is the option to turn down some stats but unless I'm missing something they don't go down past 10? seems a waste if points go where we have no need/use

zyxe, Time Lord and Jivalax Azon like this.
  15. Xander Xavier

Xander Xavier Avatar

By refusing to start as a ranger instead of a mage. While in game it was not my fault. The Oracle dumped me in Blood River. However out of game I knew there was a little girl to save and I would be forever marked as a bad person if I did not save her (the developers said so:p). I even ran through the beginning of the game in single player offline to make sure I knew how to save her.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

only if you started at solace bridge, if you started anywhere else, it has no baring on you.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Gix

Gix Avatar

I always saw it as some form of back-story generator. If you're following the path of courage, then you'd probably have an upbringing that more or less fits that mindset... charging into battle, sword in hand, etc. The path of Truth makes you a person who asks questions, that reads a lot and probably got to learn the truth of the universe and cast spells.
    Stuff like that.

I kind of like the idea that you didn't really chose things like your parents, your religion, your education, etc.. but like anyone else, you can always change despite your upbringing.

What bows and arrows have to do with Love, I wouldn't know.

Hornpipe and Time Lord like this.
  18. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Actually I think it would be great for the storytelling if Charlotte could die during the fighting on the bridge. The game definitely needs such things or decisions that are not good or bad but choosing the lesser evil.

19. Lord British

Lord British Lord British SOTA Developer

First, as the patch notes all said. This is the final wipe, not the story launch. Fear not, when we are ready for EP1 release, we will provide you ways to start the story fresh. The "MMO" aspects of the game are "acceptably stable" but the story is not! Getting feedback as to what you like and what concerns you is great, as we can consider this for our story refinements. In the end, I DO plan for you to experience loss and defeat etc. That is the life I plan for you to experience, and also not planning to let you "revert" single moments, unless you play offline and use save games.

BTW - You are not "forever marked" as a bad or good person in this game! ALL you actions make bumps, some good some bad, some big some small in your "karma".

20. Leinad Laurelwreath

Leinad Laurelwreath Avatar

I'm very interested in this! If we develop our skills as we like from here to launch, will we go back to the beginning as fresh Avatars but keeping our skills? How do you plan to do this?
    I also rushed the beginning quest so i could just get to the world and start exploring for the land rush but i'll ignore story as much as i can until launch

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.