Umuri's SOTA HUD - Combat Stats, Log parsing, /stats, DPS meter, and more. Now with Quests+

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Umuri, Jul 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sheamus McGuinness

Sheamus McGuinness Avatar

Ahhh glad you made this happen @Umuri! I remember talking with you about this quite a few months ago. I will give it a go!

2. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

Pretty much you stuck "trusting" the author.
    As a Layperson, there isn't much you can do to verify the app is secure and doesn't do more than you think it does.
    Especially on a custom built application with very low distribution, There might not be enough examples of it in the wild for it to make it into the most popular malware detection software updates.

Although I have nothing to indicate that the software does dangerous things, the days of trust on the internet are long over.
    Your better off not downloading or installing "random internet dude" software.
    Even if it's safe today, even if the author has the best of intentions, all it takes is one update by the author or any 3rd party what was perfectly safe is now malware.

StevieD likes this.
  3. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

This only stops applications that directly access the network.
    An app that changes your DNS settings could redirect you to all sorts of bad places, that look and feel exactly like the real thing, and would never make a connection itself for this to detect.
    An app that installed additional apps with system sounding names wouldn't "appear" to show up the firewall list, at least not as something your looking for.

Safest policy is to not take a chance, not to download, and not to run.
    Anything else, they are taking a chance.

4. Valen2

Valen2 Avatar

Having used this from ver 0.1 test to the current release version , 1.0, and have had 0 zero problems with it , my understanding is that all it does is collate the log file produced by the game in to a sensible and readable set of information .
    The game is young and apps like this one help us to make sense of the log file, I'm sure in time it will get its digtal sig and approval form the devs ,
    With persistence coming up in days we will be all back to square one and this app help you make sence ods what is going on .
    I for one turn off all ingame combat chatter and keep the app open and watch it , leaving chat for player to player conversation .
    to the doughters out there this is one grt idea , maybe instead of knocking it , you could desging something or give umuri you ideas in sure he would only be too happy to assist you ,

5. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

You seem to be sorely mistaken on a few points. Each of your statements has a shred of truth, but not much beyond that.
    Yes, which was the stated question, keyloggers and such. Everything else you've added, while nifty, is tangental to that original question.

You would need elevated permissions to perform a network level change such as this.
    If your system does not require elevated permissions for such a change, why have you disabled that security feature that comes standard in most OS's now?
    You aren't running everything as admin are you?

Again, you'd need elevated permissions, which is why this specifically lacks an installer and only writes to the local directory and reads from the user directory, as those do not require them.

While that is technically true, if you run unknown applications under limited permissions and in an otherwise restricted environment, you are generally pretty safe.

Good points otherwise though, and yes, some caution is always warranted.

6. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Thanks for making this! This is a beautiful addition to the game :)

Lord-Galiwyn likes this.
  7. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

I feel absolutely safe using this add on.

Dariog likes this.
  8. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

Your speaking about how things are "supposed to work" and I'm speaking of how things "actually work".
    There are always more exploits out there, that are capable of bypassing the protections you think you have.
    (remember when javascript was supposed to be confined to the sandbox, yet now we have pure javascript ransomware).
    It is better to instill paranoia for computer security than it is wear rose colored glasses, and say it's "pretty safe".
    No matter how paranoid people are about security, they still aren't paranoid enough.
    Fortunately, there are so many "easy targets" out there, that really the only security most of us actually have, is that we don't have much worth taking.

9. Phoenix007

Phoenix007 Avatar

Nice tool

10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

any chance we can see a web-based version in the future? Seems like this same functionality could be ultimately transitioned over to a web-based version that simply allows us to point to the location of this info.

11. Snowdog

Snowdog Avatar

I typed /stats in the game window > "recording stats to chat log file"
    looked in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SotA
    also looked under /user a bit.
    Where should the chat log file be?

12. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

"C:\Users\<YOUR-USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\ChatLogs"

Sort by date

Sir Cabirus and bdonham like this.
  13. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

Seriously @Umuri I could /kiss you!!! I've looked at this almost as much as the game itself over the past three days. This is a must have!!!

Alley Oop likes this.
  14. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

If you need any testers for a Linux version give me a shout :)

15. Snikorts

Snikorts Avatar

Would love to use it on Mac!

16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

A webpage works for all platforms too. Why not just make a Web version?

Snikorts likes this.
  17. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Been using it for some time now, works great, no problems at all. Its really the only way to easily find your /stats now.

18. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Because it needs to access files on your harddisk in order to work in real time, and web pages shouldn't be able to do that.

It might be possible to make a web page version where you upload the log files yourself, assuming the parsing code is decoupled from the UI.

StevieD likes this.
  19. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

@Umuri Anyway you can post the source on github?

@Chris developer approval?

20. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

In other words it's a third party tool that is directly meddling with the game files?
    Yeah i would like to see a dev approval too before i use it @Berek @Lum @Chris @DarkStarr
    But i admit it might come in handy.
    Nice work!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.