Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Random lunging forward interferes with weapon (free/glyph) attack

Discussion in 'Release 32 Feedback Forum' started by Balec Fares deCani, Jul 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

When my avatar is fighting in free attack mode (which is supposed to mean I have full control?) the avatar lunges forward at random times, putting him past the target.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/r32-melee-combat-having-a-hard-time.56069/
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ion-interferes-with-backwards-movement.55568/

Threads above are related, but the first one is not a bug thread and the second specifically refers to "auto attack" and "moving backwards" and those things have nothing to do with this thread.

This bug: Attacking with bludgeon weapon (great axe or large rusty axe) results in my avatar lunging 2 steps forward associated randomly with certain weapon attacks (not spell attacks). These can be the default click attack or also happens sometimes with glyph. This has no purpose and is very frustrating in combat and since it is unpredictable it is an additional element that the player has to battle with in combat.

I've tried to pin down the repro case and it's very unpredictable. The general environment where this happens:
    Free attack mode
    Fighting multiple NPC mobs
    Combination of bludgeon weapon main attack, spell glyphs and weapon glyphs in use
    Lots of left-mouse clicking on enemies, e.g. to initiate a "quick" free attack after a glyph or to pick a sticky target.
    WASD to move, traditional "arrow" targeting mode, right mouse to look around.
    The random lunge forward always seems directly associated with a weapon attack, like the avatar is stepping forward to engage an opponent (who was already in ideal striking distance) before the attack.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  2. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

The movements forward are by design and part of the new melee experience. If the issue is that it is moving you too far further and past enemies that it makes your attacks fail to connect, that is a separate issue that will need more information, including which skills you are using, and what enemies are being fought. Thanks for reporting.

Leostorm likes this.
  3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Attenwood
    The "movements forward are by design".... Is this something that came in with R32 ?

4. Net

Net Avatar

I am using left mouse to click on target:D I have sword, well used to have, because tutorial insisted that even mages should have one. I kept lunging forward all the tiem with auto attack even though I kept running backwards trying to cast some ranged spells.

agra, Dariog and FrostII like this.
  5. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I get this at times even with auto-attack turned on when I use a melee glyph. I trust through/past someone completely and end up on the other side of them.

Scraps MacMutt and Dariog like this.
  6. Dariog

Dariog Avatar

Speaking for myself, this "new melee experience" is quite annoying and unpleasant. I've commented on it elsewhere, and I really have nothing else to add. I hope they will take serious note of all the feedback on this issue and make the necessary changes.

7. deaconthasmoker

deaconthasmoker Avatar

I've noticed this happening with the sword skills too: Thrust, riposte, rend, and double slash, all different types of mobs - I would look into how auto attack is functioning in conjunction with skill usage. Auto Attack is really wonky at the moment and rubber bands you around mobs a lot

8. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

Ya, it's not good. As a hybrid character, I rely on keeping up the stillness buff if possible

9. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Please provide details/instructions on how to use this new method of combat interaction. It is necessary, and odd that you would not have this in the instructions or make mention of it until after we bug report it.

:p @RichardGarriott Let's keep the manual up to date with changes in the game.

Aldo, Net and Dariog like this.
  10. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

@Chris, we need one of your walls of text to help us know what is going on with this lunge, and any other changes being brought in with the 'new melee experience', if you can! :)

Aldo likes this.
  11. Dariog

Dariog Avatar

Not a good thing.

12. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

@Attenwood , try melee attacking a group of mobs with auto attack on and trying to use the "S" key to back up. It cannot be done. Everytime auto attack executes, you are pulled into the mobs. The only way to escape is to turn around and run away with your back to the ranged mobs.

Net, Daxxe Diggler, uziraff and 4 others like this.
  13. agra

agra Avatar

Then, respectfully, the design is flawed and/or broken.
    It's hard to believe you guys are playing the same game when you make statements like this. It's THAT bad.

Rofo, Lockey2, Scraps MacMutt and 6 others like this.
  14. MIdnightvalkyrie

MIdnightvalkyrie Avatar

This, exactly. I thought I was going crazy and was frantically looking through my game settings to figure out how to turn off whatever was doing this.
    Also, it seems somewhat erratic - meaning that at times I am jumping around/through the mobs, at other times I am more or less just dancing around them. I haven't been able to pinpoint it well enough to make a valid bug report, but if this is "as designed" then I strongly urge that you reconsider it.

Rofo, Lockey2, Rinaldi and 3 others like this.
  15. Dariog

Dariog Avatar

16. Junkmerchant

Junkmerchant Avatar

+1

This is happening to me as well with multiple mobs. Its most noticeable with Crocs because it seems there hit box is at the center so I am usually standing on top of them turned around actually facing the same direction as they are when they and i are attacking. I am using Sword Skills and this happens mostly when I use the skills Thrust and Riposte.

Junk

zyxe, Lockey2, Rinaldi and 3 others like this.
  17. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I can't figure it out.. it is happening, but there doesn't seem to be a reason why it happens sometimes, and other times, it doesn't. If only someone could tell us why this is and what is happening, and maybe how to control this new feature....?

Dariog likes this.
  18. Dariog

Dariog Avatar

It is currently uncontrollable. I think this is an intentional design feature gone horribly wrong. They are working on a modification of it. My preference would be that they eliminate it completely.

19. Tydes

Tydes Avatar

Agreed. I really dislike how much control is being taken away from the combat system. First spell casting, now my melee combat.... What else can I do in this game :(

zyxe, Rebelweasel and Dariog like this.
  20. agra

agra Avatar

Also found a new strange problem with the "new melee experience".

If you have auto attack on, and you try to help attack/assist, with melee, a creature someone else is fighting (in your group), you can't.
    You have to push forward, and you auto attack once. Then you stand there doing nothing.
    Then you push forward, and you auto attack once. Then again, you stand there doing nothing.
    Repeat as desired.

If you TURN OFF AUTO ATTACK, then move into the creature's model, then turn on auto attack, everything works as expected, unless the creature moves of course. This is really obvious with large creatures like Grizzly Bears.
    It's like having auto attack on puts up this invisible shield around the engaged creature, and you cannot push past it. Extraordinarily annoying! :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.