Umuri's SOTA HUD - Combat Stats, Log parsing, /stats, DPS meter, and more. Now with Quests+

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Umuri, Jul 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Viator

Lord Viator Avatar

It's nothing more than reading the data that is outputted to the log files (%AppData%\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\ChatLogs).

I had often thought about writing a log file parser to work with SotA, but could never quite find the time. Good work @Umuri.

Sir Cabirus, smack, Alley Oop and 2 others like this.
  2. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

It reads the chat log. There is no 'meddling'.

3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Fair enough.
    Answer me this than: do you think Greenlight from the devs for this Party Tools is needed or not?
    I think it is.
    It's not about if the tool is trustworthy or not. It's just about if 3rd Party Tools are ok and if yes what are they allowed to do.

Elryin Silvertree likes this.
  4. Lord Viator

Lord Viator Avatar

Personally, I would say that since it is only interpreting data that has already been made available to the player via a log file, and taking into account that the tool does not provide any kind of advantage during gameplay, I would say there's no need for a green light.

However having said that, knowing that there are a number of people working on different tools at the moment, I don't think it is a bad idea for some discussion on a green light initiative, or at least a guideline of some sort.

5. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Personally you would say ;-)
    That's the whole point.
    Personally I would agree.

The second part of your post pretty much sums up my opinion.

6. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

That is a potential plan, actually, and something i've heavily considered
    But i want to get the mac/linux version up and tested first, then cleanup the code a bit before i would do that. Releasing ugly code is an ego thing. :/

If you'll notice, at the top of this forum, "Before posting any MODs, please contact us at support@portalarium.com to ensure your MOD is acceptable to the Terms of Service and EULA of the game. Portalarium is not responsible for use of MODs and possible adverse effects on your client or computer, and we may take action on accounts using MODs that are deemed illegal. Whether submitted here or elsewhere in the community, use MODs at your own risk!"

@Berek has signed off on it, and he can comment in this thread to that effect.

But yes, developer greenlight is already in place, in fact there was quite a nice discussion where this was encouraged/solidified, hence the nice warning on the top of the mods forum.

To answer your other questions:
    I wanted to go out of my way to ensure this program was beyond reproach, due to how the EULA is worded.

That's why, for instance, you don't see an auto-updater feature, or even a version check.
    It has no networking code in it at all. The only file code it uses is reads, writes have to be explicitly triggered by the user (export to csv), and it only access the config file in its local folder, and the chatlogs folder from shroud, using a read only filehandle.

This will be more verifiable if/when i post the code to github for people to freely fork/upgrade, but i am transparent and the offer was made to the devs to provide it for their perusal/approval process.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  7. Earl Atogrim von Draken

I obviously never read this MotD ;-)
    Well then, all cool.

8. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

It's still something to consider though, because you're right, someone can technically post without approval.
    Using caution on mods is honestly a good plan, and always use your own judgement on whether it fits your morality, and your interpretation of the eula.

9. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

@Umuri much appreciated the fast reply. I personally have been using your program with no problem but thought those two things might get others to be more confident in it also maybe they can help you progress it faster.

StevieD likes this.
  10. gensicke

gensicke Avatar

Umuri,

This rocks!

11. Acaelus Fireharp

Acaelus Fireharp Avatar

Great Tool Umuri,

Would be brilliant if it could show the amount of each Reagent a player has left in their inventory ;)

Derium likes this.
  12. gracy

gracy Avatar

Great Tool Umuri!
    Thanks a lot! :)

13. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

You convince the dev's to add that to the chatlog, and i'll show it. But i'm trying to stick away from any direct client interface so that there's never a question of how legal/advantage the HUD is. :)

Link_of_Hyrule and Fister Magee like this.
  14. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Thank you for this app, @Umuri, it is really useful!

Jakub White likes this.
  15. Archer

Archer Avatar

I'm volunteering as a Linux guinea pig/tester.
    BTW what language are you coding in?

Arcanoxer likes this.
  16. smack

smack Avatar

Patch note 453:
    • Game will now log the player’s current loc to a file every 2 seconds. File is named CurrentPlayerData.txt and will be in the root folder for the game. This is for 3rd party apps that want to parse this data.

So, yeah, I'd say that tools that purely parse the log files are ok to make and use.

Great work @Umuri. Will give this a try when I get home.

Would love to see even more tools from the community. And @Chris, when are you going to expose that public-facing ELK stack of yours? :)

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  17. Joeble

Joeble Avatar

I am so glad I stumbled across this, thanks so much for making it!

18. kaledis

kaledis Avatar

I only learnt about the /stats command last night, so I will probably install this later.

19. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I think it is sort of cool that we don't know. Sort of makes it more likely that people will try various types of builds and not really be sure as to whatis or isn't the most "efficient" build of that type.

Although if some people become extremely dominant, because they discovered what this means amd how it ties together, then we might require some more info so that people do not think a certain build is extremely dominant and ask for it to be nerfed.

(That leads me to wonder if some character builds appear to be dominant because players are intuitively picking the skills needed to create a good character, but other builds might be more powerful than we know, but what makes it more efficient might not be so obvious yo the player.

20. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Sadly the location output seems kind of useless since it doesn't output what the current map is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.