Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Connectivity: [PELICAN] Network congestion disconnects

Discussion in 'Release 32 Bug Forum' started by Mykll, Aug 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Title: Connectivity: [PELICAN] Network congestion caused a disconnection from the game service.

Reproduction Rate: 100%

Blocker?: No idea what a blocker is.

Details: Unable to fully load into game due to error. Was able to log into game before last telethon. Was able to log into game after wipe, after the first patch. Ever since that evening after the following patch, including each following patch since, get this error 100%. I noticed reports of this in several other earlier releases, without any noted resolution, and could not find a post here for the current release.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Last time I logged off I was still in Soltown.
    2. Run Steam version of Game, accept initial screens.
    3. Play Multi Player Online
    4. Login
    5. Resume (inside Soltown)
    6. Soltown loads to 100%, then I always get the error.

User Specs:
    Windows 10 Pro
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.40 GHz
    ASUS Radeon HD 5830
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Win.64.452.Date.07.31.16
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Win.64.456.Date.08.04.16
    Using Steam client.
    Using SotA credentials instead of Steam.​

Edit: Added picture.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    AndiZ275 likes this.
  2. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Update:
    Doing the above, 100% reproducible. Every day. This morning still. So decided to do a little something different. I tried to play Single Player Online. Was able to get in the game.

Quit to main menu, selected Multi Player Online, was able to get into game!

Quit out completely, re-launched from Steam. Select Multi Player Online, was able to get in.

So, I don't know if changing to Single Player Online knocked something in place or what. But it APPEARS to have fixed my issue, somehow.

Edit:
    Been getting it since that night, off and on, both trying to log into the game, changing scenes, and just running around Soltown.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  3. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Is this issue still visible for you? We have been able to reproduce it for Linux clients, but not easily for Windows 10. If I understand, you're reporting that the issue isn't observed at all while in Single-Player Online? Only in Multiplayer?

Mykll likes this.
  4. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Submitting this bug for review and resolution ASAP. We apologize for the time it has taken for us to address this issue. Thank you for your patience!

Mykll likes this.
  5. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Got the new patch downloading right now so will check it again shortly. So for now, I will reply as of last night. While at first I was getting this error 100% of the time just trying to log in, the past few days it was at least hit or miss getting in, and I would randomly get the error. I thought it was purely on loading type screens (logging into game, zoning into town, catacombs, over world map, etc.) but I would also get this just running around Soltown as well.

Just tried, Multiplayer. Got error.
    Trying Single Player... The game loaded (the loading screen and such) loaded MUCH faster, and I was able to get in.
    I don't have any friends so I haven't tried Friends Online.

I will run around for a bit and see if I happen to get this error during Single Player.
    Well it didn't take too long to start to get the network connectivity icon. Whenever I get the [Pelican] error I would get this icon first.

It's weird that I am getting zero sounds in the game now, guess that is a different issue.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  6. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Post-patch, can still very reliably get the error even when first loading into the game, multiplayer.

7. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Got this a couple of times today (Multiplayer Online) and it seems like every time I get this error, and re-log back into the game, the game has ZERO sounds, until I fully quit out of the game and re-launch it.

Edit:
    This works both when I get in game fully, with sounds, then get [PELICAN], and when loading for the first time, get [PELICAN] before getting into the game fully, ZERO sounds.

Edit:
    Since late yesterday would continuously get [PELICAN] disconnects. Multiplayer. So figured I'd try Friends Online. I usually do Single Online. Was able to play most of the night, but I would still, uncommonly, hit the error.

Edit (08/14/16, 1203):
    Can reliably get pecked in the face by [PELICAN] with Multiplayer login attempts. Single Player Online gets me right in.

Edit (08/14/16, 1640):
    Friends Online mode, been zoning just fine. Run to bank, while it was loading my bank inventory... [PELICAN].

Edit (08/14/16, 1925):
    Logged into Multiplayer inside Harvest. Went to zone our of Harvest to world map, and [PELICAN]. Did not quit client, logged in as Multiplayer, options were Continue in harvest or World Map, did World Map, and was able to get back in. Just sat there doing nothing, and [PELICAN].

Edit (08/18/16, 2100):
    Short time ago, using Steam client, Steam credentials, logged into Multiplayer fully into Soltown! I saw other people! Ran to bank to dump prior gathered stuff and while the bank list was loading, [PELICAN]. Logged right back in using Multiplayer. Was able to fully load the bank, dump my items, and ran outside to mess with my card decks. [PELICAN]. Tried to log right back in Multiplayer, [PELICAN]. Tried to log in Friends Only and got right back in. And only after changing to Friends Only and logging back in (all this time never fully quitting out of the Steam client) I no longer have any sounds in game.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  8. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

Im unsure if this was an acceptable solution but try uninstalling and reinstalling the game

Mykll likes this.
  9. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Hmm I can try that. Very few overall settings to back up so no problem there. I'll try the Steam client reinstall see how that goes. Now that you said it... "Duh, obvious!"

Edit (09/21/16 1040):
    I deleted, re-installed Steam client. Logged in with Steam credentials, Multiplayer, Resume inside Soltown, and... [PELICAN]. Swapped to Friends, and got right in. And because I didn't completely quit out of the client I again have all sounds muted for me. Well it was worth a shot, and something I didn't try since the last wipe.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    DavenRock [MGT] likes this.
  10. Beolthain

Beolthain Avatar

I have had similar problems after the release 32. First I thought it was only in the under construction areas, but it hits me all the time, all over the land. [PELICAN] disconnection. Surely drains the fun out of gaming when you cannot play.

11. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

I see you put in your own bug report on this, and are also running Windows 10. Good deal. Respond to Attenwood on your post. Hopefully they can nail down what is happening to us.

12. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

This might be a long shot, but by any chance are either of you guys connected through a Netgear router and also have the "QoS" feature enabled? If so, try going into your router settings and disable that feature and see if this problem goes away.

I had the same problem with off/on Pelican and Network Connection Errors for SOTA and after disabling that feature I don't think I've gotten that error message since. And, as a bonus, my bandwidth speed tests jumped from a range of 10-100 Mbps to a range of 200-240 Mbps. So it not only helped my SOTA gaming, it helped my internet speed in general too!

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  13. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

I am using an Apple AirPort Extreme. For me I can't remember the last time I got the Pelican error. Or even what season. This past winter? Before that in the fall? I know summer last year I would reliably get it.

14. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Yes, I have a Netgear router, yes I have all the right ports open to allow the game, yes I keep getting Pelican errors. I will check the QoS setting to see if disabling it helps! Thanks for the suggestion <3

15. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Blah! The setting is not enabled. Just for shits and giggles, I'll enable it. Worse that can happen is I get even more Pelican errors...LOL!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.