R32 Land Rush status

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smack, Jul 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Yep, its one of the smaller places.

smack likes this.
  2. Coren

Coren Avatar

Well, they really haven't - PRT are, literally, overflow of no value (they have, arguably, even less value than POT[1]). Even if you are not convinced by the arguments some people mention why they are of low value, simple market realities demonstrate it better than any argument could: they are left pretty much deserted.

[1] That is, while POT have inherent risk, they also have the potential to be very nice with a good governor and set of residents. PRT don't have that potential, and non-residents have exactly zero reason to ever go there making them also worthless for commerce.

Theleb K`aarna, Numa and Tahru like this.
  3. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

That's a pretty serious accusation. What tier are you looking at as justification for such a statement?

Just at rough glance, looking at both NPC and PRT towns (not POTs) I can't find any tier that would make this a valid accusation.

4. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

Right now I have a village lot in Kingsport and I never realized how small the town is. But that adds to the charm of living there for sure. Brittany is just too big, for example, and even Owl's Head can feel like a maze of lots.

smack, Retlaw, Spoon and 3 others like this.
  5. Coren

Coren Avatar

Yes, my point exactly. PRT are "we're out of actual lots to sell, but we'd like to sell more anyways". For many people (admittedly not all), a row lot in a real town has considerably more value than a city lot in a PRT - meaning that many people who pledged to get a town lot will get considerably less than what they expected because they ran out of the thing they actually wanted. That's pretty much the definition of "oversold".

I'm not making "accusations"; that Port did this is expectable (given their financing model) and is likely why we have a game that expansive to begin with - it's still very disappointing and leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

6. Floors

Floors Avatar

You know you guys don't have to live in one of the 6 towns that seem to be popular because people know them from the pre-alpha. The concept of "Foot Traffic" is inherently flawed in a game that has instancing anyway. I guess it depends if you are playing the game out of some competetive aspect or just to have a good time. The places where I want to live are out of the way of the hustle and bustle of "New York City" aka Central Brittany. There's tons of great lots in cool towns still.

Saosis, 4EverLost, Alexander and 5 others like this.
  7. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

Well, it doesn't help that they are having the land rush before the game is finished.

smack, AvatarGG, Mykll and 1 other person like this.
  8. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

But you making the statement that Portalarium oversold deeds IS an accusation.

They never said that you would have a lot in an NPC (a.k.a. story-based) town. They said people would never have to choose a POT to live in. The leaves NPC and PRT's. You have to look at the combined total of lots before you can make a statement like that.

Whether you choose to live in a NPC, PRT, or POT is a choice you have to make. If you don't like PRT's, you can hardly blame that on Portalarium. They are still providing the number of lots they said they would provide outside of POT's.

Maybe I'm missing something here?

9. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Psst. PRTs were planned from release 1 and the chicken room. Holt rot and Valemark came in the first 8 releases or so.
    That has always been the plan for the bulk of housing and has remained that.
    NPC towns would never meet demand exclusively.

POTs on the other hand were a later idea which spawned more lots, not less.

10. Numa

Numa Avatar

Owl's Head was Port's testbed for a lot of things way back when we only had the Hidden Vale to run around in. There's a lot of stuff packed into that town mainly because it was the only viable place then where the devs could put down a concept dungeon, quest or even just a unique NPC interaction and see how it would work.

As a result the town often feels like a mishmash of stories and plots and places. In a very real sense OH was a dry run for Britanny.

strabo, licemeat, smack and 4 others like this.
  11. zyxe

zyxe Avatar

Maybe I don't fully comprehend the definition of PRT, but who's to say the devs can't bring some story-driven NPCs to current PRTs and give some quests there at some point in the future, making them more valuable?

I haven't had my housing rush yet, but I understand the frustration of a lot of players. Personally, I bought a taxable village lot way back closer to when they first came out and were on sale, when I didn't quite understand how "valuable" land would be. I later upgraded to a town lot, but admit that I'm dismayed at the number of available town lots in major hubs and severely reduced town lots in Hidden Vale. I think the sprawling, fairly inefficient layouts of all towns (in my opinion, at least) has also possibly led to the feeling that there are fewer desirable lots as well. Add to that the cookie cutter aspect of a lot of towns and that is increasing frustration of finding a cool spot to hang your hat.

I'm hoping that more of the towns get more individuality as they are developed and that will make more people happy. I ran to Spite last night and while I decided it wasn't for me, mostly because of the music, I was completely impressed with how different it was from every other town I'd seen, so hopefully this is the goal for a lot of other towns in the game. The double edged sword is that I'll be picking my spot based on what the town and lot look like now and I have to hope that whatever uniqueness is added to the town doesn't ruin how much I like whatever spot I get! I'm under the impression that moving to a "better" lot will not be so easy, too.

While I don't like how this whole land rush has gone down, I kind of blame myself for pouring so much money into a game without fully comprehending the rules.

12. Magos

Magos Avatar

Agree with some of the recent comments - lot of folks being very short sighted when choosing their lots. Few random points to consider :

1. Clue was given about the future of the game when this world map was revealed way back when :

[​IMG]

2. Throw away comment from the devs in one telethon that the North West of Novia was going to be the place for quality wood and wood items.

3. They didn't spend massive amounts of time making Spite so spectacular and unique, also hiding it behind the toughest forced checkpoint in the game, for there not to be special things happening in the north east of the map. We know for example (from new NPC dialogue in Spite) that the dungeon Malice which will be accessible from Spite will have special mines in it.

In short we haven't even seen 5% of what this game will be but we've seen pretty much everything Hidden Vale will have to offer and it's very much a newb area. I placed my lots days ago and could have good spots in Soltown/Hidden Vale but I chose Spite and Harvest because of what I suspect we will see in the near future. Both NPC towns with numerous good lots left in them.

Tiki Pirate, hroth, Numa and 15 others like this.
  13. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I may be wrong, but I could swear that the devs said they were going to put more NPC vendors in PRTs.

licemeat, smack, 4EverLost and 5 others like this.
  14. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

I vagely remember it being said once upon a time that if a PRT had a decent population and activity it could grow by the addition of more NPCs and vendors and lots. I may be wrong, but sounds plausible.

15. MetricPig

MetricPig Avatar

There are still NPC towns with zero lots filled, and all plot sizes available. The obsession with specific locations is the only limiting factor.

16. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Some PRT towns already have full NPCs in place by the way.

4EverLost, Mykll, Tahru and 3 others like this.
  17. Elric Zand

Elric Zand Avatar

Lets see tomorrow how these NPC towns look when possibly more players will claim just tomorrow than the total number so far

18. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

As I understand it was basically their original idea for how player "owned" towns might function. I guess when actual player owned towns became a thing that changed.

I think with the POT technology they have so robust they could have had some towns run by devs. I bet you'd wanna go live in a POT run by darkstarr! Or heck they could have sponsored community members to run them. Basically like free POTs and have dev enforced governing restrictions. They could have even reached out to some of the media sites to run a town. Massively.com and MMORPG.com come to mind. Offer limited trial housing deed giveaways and you got yourself a nice recruitment tool!

Tahru and Astor Cerberus like this.
  19. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

StevieD and Tahru like this.
  20. Vaentorian

Vaentorian Localization Team

I haven't followed this thread closely - really pleased at the original idea of helping people determine whether they could claim a lot on a location they wanted - so a little bit sad but not really surprised to see the 'shock horror' response that people might claim lots lower than the maximum size they are entitled to.

Personally, I was very excited that I'd have a specific window in which I'd have relatively little competition and knew there would certainly be a place for me somewhere to claim a little plot of land. I'm not a power gamer by any measure so was happy to bag a nice home in a location which is convenient for everywhere I'm likely to want to go, which I can use as a base for my exploration of the game/world as it expands and develops.

I realise this won't be even close to what many people expect, but without reading 20+ pages of comments I can confidently say that I'm happy with my own experience of the land rush :)

[footnote: if you find yourself in Eastmarch, by all means have a look for my plot, for all that there's nothing of interest on it!]

Saosis, Numa, Alexander and 9 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.