R32 Land Rush status

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smack, Jul 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Jannaford is on my short list for favorite towns. That bonfire is legit!

2. zyxe

zyxe Avatar

I think I saw you while I was running around there getting more info! If I had a village lot, Vertas would have been my first choice, and I almost, *almost*, decided to live there anyway. Beautiful snowy area with a different elven theme. I like that it has a nice NPC town center, too.

Tahru, Elijah and enderandrew like this.
  3. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Update on Jaanaford. Now down to 22 21 lots left. All of the lots around the lower water fall are gone. Also gone are all of the lots by the entrance (I was fortunate enough to grab the one lot by the entrance).

Edit: None of the lots in that ring grouping near the entrance have been taken yet. Two of them usually work for vendors in the back, but those are usually my last choices for lots.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    smack and Tahru like this.
  4. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Westend updated. 2 Town Water, 1 City, 10 Village and 13 Row remain.

smack, Tahru and Alexander like this.
  5. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I took a town lot in Storms Reach, there are still good lots available there. And the town is in a pretty good locale too, literally right next to aerie via the insta-ferry

smack, Tahru and argyle like this.
  6. Elay

Elay Avatar

Well, I got the plot I was hoping for, next to the town centre in Harvest - quite pleased with it, although, I was expecting more people fighting for it, but I saw no one! (just hope that's not a sign that no one will use Harvest!)

Beli, smack, Tahru and 1 other person like this.
  7. Fain

Fain Avatar

I think I just ran into you at the bank! Congrats on your spot, can't wait to check it out!

Tahru and Polaris Penguin like this.
  8. Nox Haven

Nox Haven Avatar

Last night I pulled my wife aside and began the process of explaining SotA to her. I covered what kind of game it was, explained the land rush that was going on, clarified the stress and drama of people paying money and trying to get the best value for their pledge tier...

And I showed her Smack's spreadsheet and explained to her what was going on. There were 90 people viewing at the time but I let her know it was editable by anyone. I told her that no matter how pissed off or stressed out everyone was, everyone respected the integrity of the spreadsheet. She found that, more than anything else I explained to her, astounding. Those were her words; 'astounding'.

That right there, gives me hope. No matter what is going on, at least our community has integrity.

Saosis, 4EverLost, Cianna and 14 others like this.
  9. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

My first thought the other day was the same, about respecting the integrity of the spreadsheet. My second thought was "DON'T ACCIDENTALLY HIT A FEW KEYS AND MESS IT UP!"

4EverLost, Jatvardur, smack and 2 others like this.
  10. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

I agree, somewhat. I think it may have been better to lock the deeds in place as each tier's window ends until group 91 opens and it unlocks again. Yes, a 'short' timer would be unfair, but as they listed, each tier had a total of 64 hours to choose, with the last subgroup getting 24 hours. How many times do you have to switch your lot around exactly? This would have stopped the 'reserving' of lots of lower tiers so others can claim it ahead of others who are rightfully ahead of them. Each tier would have then been given their fair first turn after the previous tier settled on their first choice (even if it is a lower tier, they can't keep hopping down the line during the entire land rush). Again, group 91, all lots unlock and people can switch around and place their other lots then, along with everyone else. The possibilities to tighten things up a bit were there. Never gonna convince me it was set up the 'best' and 'fairest' way possible as it stands.

I ended up choosing Harvest last Tuesday with my city lot. The town crier showed no one had claimed anything yet which matched the spreadsheet so I got to be the first settler. :) I do agree with you though. This was my 9th choice and I'm settled on it as I'm in the middle of lake by a waterfall. If I couldn't get Brittany, then I wanted a water adjacent lot of some kind (not on the water though, those boats.... yeesh). I love the uniqueness they are adding to the world but I fear a complete redesign of Harvest too. It was already confirmed the lot placements would not change but what if it ends up desert themed and there's no water to speak of? I'm gonna hate that. I'm already unhappy I lost so many other choices so early. They won't move my lot but if the land around me changes, isn't that the same thing in essence? With so many cloned maps and the land rush on, it's not the fault of the player for choosing what was made available as it stands now. I'm torn because a nice autumn theme would be awesome for a place called Harvest, but I haven't been that lucky so far. LOL. Here's hoping. Also, hail to all my new Harvest neighbors!

Edit: Had a little trouble with the quotes for some reason, LOL. Sorry about the bracket-fest there.

Mykll and Tahru like this.
  11. Coren

Coren Avatar

You know, that's the thing that surprises me the least in the end - though I suppose I'm ideologically aligned with that idea given that I have been contributing to the Wikimedia movement for well over a decade (and, indeed, worked for the Foundation for three of those years). :)

There are ugly things going on, but the wiki collaborative ethic is alive and well!

12. Numa

Numa Avatar

I'd just like to point out that if it weren't for the existence of POTS - people in the last batches would have no recourse but to settle for whatever was left in an NPC or PRT town or city. Without this safety valve we would have had a lot more unhappy people in this thread.

I've seen first hand the amount of work mayors have to go through to make their POTS viable. They deserve all our support because all those efforts benefit SOTA in more ways than one.

Lord Dreamo, Tahru, Jatvardur and 2 others like this.
  13. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

I'm away from the game for 24 hours and Jaanaford goes nuts? It is an interesting one. Kinda wish people had waited until I had put a house there and then rushed in afterwards. Bah.

Things I like about it:
    • It isn't necessarily the population centre of the world but it does seem close to being the geographic centre of the world.
    • Surely, many people would need to pass through Jaanaford while traversing the map too.
    • It is close to the starting point for the Courage story (no control point blocking it yet)
    • Close to the up and coming town Vanguard (<-- definitely going to put that on my bucket list of places to travel to): it seems that the Syndicate have also sprung up around this town too. Makes me think there must be great appeal to it.

14. zyxe

zyxe Avatar

Did something happen to the spreadsheet? I Alt+Tabbed away while trying to find the Brittany Fields Town Crier (still haven't found the bugger) and when I came back to check something else on the spreadsheet it is uneditable for me.

On the upside there are a lot of village lots in Brittany Fields, I think a lot of village water lots, too. I haven't been able to get an exact count yet, anyone know where the crier is? I have his box of tissues with me for delivery...

Edit: Found him, but still cannot edit the spreadsheet. I counted 19 row, 85 village, 8 village water and 1 city lot(s) still available.

Tahru and Jatvardur like this.
  15. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Still seems editable by me. Maybe your Google Drive needs a reload?

Tahru and Jatvardur like this.
  16. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

i am unable to edit as well now

Tahru likes this.
  17. zyxe

zyxe Avatar

I went back to the original link, somehow different than what was bookmarked and it's working for me. I don't know why it changed, it somehow became uneditable when I left FireFox then came back even though I never closed the tab. Oh well, like I said, working again :)

Tahru likes this.
  18. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

As you now know the Brit Fields town crier is in the centre behind all the wooden palisades. Good choice of town too. ;-)

PS: I can still edit the spreadsheet. :)

Tahru likes this.
  19. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

tried your link as well as original, still cannot edit.

Tahru likes this.
  20. smack

smack Avatar

Spoon, Tahru and Jatvardur like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.