Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Melee Combat Woes

Discussion in 'Release 32 Feedback Forum' started by Rofo, Aug 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

To be blunt combat was never Sota's strong point, but seriously something needs to be done...

1. Melee combat is like playing with Magnets, first you struggle to push them together then you can't keep them from snapping together. Trying maintain position with your back away from the Mobs is now a mini-game all by itself, that isn't fun it's frustrating. Your constantly charging past the mobs, turning to face odd angles. basically you must dedicate a hand to constantly moving rotating your character just to face your enemy. If the game is going to take care of positioning, then take care of it and let me watch youtube or something until it's over. Otherwise.. what the freak are you doing moving my character for me... I put my avatar in the position I wanted him, and he has no reason to move anywhere on his own. If I want him to move, I'll move him. Currently I feel as though a menatally challenged person is wrestling me for control of my character while in melee combat.
    2. Mobs running in fear before you get to them. Um.. sure if they are like green I get that, but 6 yellow wolves I run up on them and they all scatter to the winds at a faster travel speed than I can manage. Now I have another mini-game, where I attempt to force a mob to flee against a server wall so I can attempt to kill it.
    3. Pulling, so I got myself some Obsidian Arrow Training just to counter full health mobs fleeing in fear before I can attack them. Was working Great, I shoot then they run to me and try to extract revenge. Now I shoot they take 0 damage, my cool down is shot, and and I am back to chasing the mobs to a server wall to catch them.
    4. Root, Root works more often than obsidian arrow, but it's on a 30 second cooldown.. yellow mobs die in less than 10 seconds so it's only good for every other kill. (would be every third kill but it takes so long to chase down the non-root kill that it's only every other kill.
    5. Tamed creature travel speed. They are incredibly slow walkers, they can't keep up. If you run (not sprinting just normal running) around chasing mobs, when you finally do catch the mob your pet will be so far away that it won't arrive until after the mob is dead, or it will only get one attack. So you have to toggle off combat mode, chase mobs out of combat then Time hitting the teleport pet hot key before you break out your sword.
    6. Stacking Glyphs.. unless they crit it isn't worth the time or effort I can do more damage faster and earn more xp from killing by not stacking instead of stacking. Sure for a special opponent I can see stacking for the opening move hoping for a crit, but after that, it's a waste of combat attention to wait for stacks, instead of using the abilities that come up. Personally I could care less if this issue got addressed, Stacking is a useless mechanic, but it doesn't affect me to not use it...
    7. Powered Attacks.. How many mice and how many hands do developers have? cause I only have two hands and 1 mouse.. How are we supposed to stack glyphs, Use glyphs, Maintain position? and power Power Attacks? at the same time? I must be playing the game wrong.. Cause I dont' see how anyone can do all that for an 8 hour sitting.. I'm probably in the majority when I say Auto-Attack + asingle stack glyphs is all I honestly use, the rest is kinda like emotes.. Sure sitting around being bored I can do a powered attack and check out what they do, but for the Day to Day grinding.. another useless game feature. Again I don't care if this doesn't get fixed cause I don't use it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  2. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

on top of that our average age of players is in the 40-50 age range. I have spent the last 20+ years driving with my mouse in almost every game. This reticle thing has me all discombobulated. I am trying though, but I just do not care for it. To much work for someone that is approaching 50. Should be more streamlined and for gods sake drive with a mouse if wanted. Also let us keymap to our individual tastes.

niteowl57, Striker, Ice Queen and 5 others like this.
  3. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

I thought the scattering wolves might be due to my bear hat :p

4. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

it's completely disable-able. get out of reticle mode by hitting tab, go into your keymappings, go down to the one that is assigned to tab (toggle cursor), click in the box and hit backspace. no more mapping, can't switch accidentally.

5. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

ty :)

Time Lord likes this.
  6. foolishwtf

foolishwtf Avatar

The trick to catching wolves is to start chopping a tree, inevitably pulls 15 archers, 4 bears, and a full pack of wolves.

Epiphany, marthos, zyxe and 13 others like this.
  7. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

This is my technique too and it works flawlessly.

8. Floors

Floors Avatar

I will say this. It is better than it was. I still think in general combat is the part of the game that needs the most fundamental work.

9. Tydes

Tydes Avatar

Well said, all very valid points. I did not like the previous combat system but at least it was functional, albeit very basic.

You forgot to mention the scenario where you chase a creature across the zone, only to have it leash and run back to its original spot. Then... Upon re-engaging it, it runs away again in the opposite direction! /queue benny hill music

10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~I'll Just Say This About Our Current Melee Combat~

~Time Lord~o_O

11. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

12. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

First thing I do on a new installation. Utterly hate the reticle. They are great for hunting with rifles, not so good for hunting with swords. ;)

13. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

As for your number 7. If you tap the two keys you want to combine quickly (not at the same time) they will stack. You can avoid drag and drop if you can master this.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I think it's infinitely worse than what it was and no way possible better than it was. There's just no nice way to say it, it's just absolutely terrible. What we have now is in no way challenging, instead I have to say, I've never seen such a convoluted mess of a combat system with features that don't work well together. It's just not good or fun. :( The only thing positive I can say about it is I like the idea of the UO system of leveling but what we have is not close enough to it, it's more akin to the skilled tree version of Wow to me WITHOUT the feeling of your character ever getting more powerful each level. In my opinion, combat should be #1 priority on their list to get fixed, it needs major attention and reworked to a better more fluid system.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  15. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

yeah I'm aware from my guide at https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f.../begginers-guide-to-draw-deck-building.52341/

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

I've done that before but 1 time ran into a bug where they game decided I was in reticle mode anyway, and I was unable to turn it off it because I had no hot key for it.
    Ever since then I've always mapped it to something really hard to hit by mistake with modifier keys.

Time Lord and Ravicus like this.
  17. Kittik

Kittik Avatar

1. YES
    2. YES
    3. YES

Time Lord likes this.
  18. imin

imin Avatar

Every time i goto into combat, in the back of my mind the benny hill theme song starts playing..

Time Lord likes this.
  19. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

One of the things I dislike about the combat, be it melee or spells, as @Ice Queen said, when you level up your skills, it really doesn't feel like you are leveling. I mean, at 40 lightning/chain lightning, the only thing I really see change is the % to stun. I honestly feel you could probably just leave every stat/skill at 40 and be done with it (minus the str/dex/int/hp/focus skills, those you can raise). I know I'm honestly considering it, because if I look at my skill and what it looks like in 20 levels, and the only difference is 1 point of damage? No thanks, I'll work a different skill up to 40 (for those that want to argue about attunement :p). Also, as far as melee goes, I hate the lunge...with a passion, but I found a workaround for that one.....AoE only!! lol. I use ground pound, earthquake, discharge, etc. This way, I have to do even less to make sure I can hint something.

Time Lord and Ice Queen like this.
  20. Ordovicia

Ordovicia Avatar

Yeah I have now mastered this and it works well actually. I mostly use it when I start running low on mana or to get longer durations from spells when needed.

Also, as other have said you can pretty much change the play style to move with the mouse and manage spell casting and combos with the other hand.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.