Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Please remove teleport scrolls

Discussion in 'Release 32 Feedback Forum' started by Poor game design, Aug 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

The game is not that difficult to move around in. Teleport scrolls are being abused.

Please remove them, or at least make them cost 20 times more.

2. danjacobsmith

danjacobsmith Avatar

I agree with this. This needs to be changed because it trivializes the world and takes the world feeling away from the game.

Teleporting around the world should be a big issue. Maybe make it like the terminator, where you need to teleport completely naked. This would also cause some people to create multiple sets of equipment so they have to bank in different regions. Solves a crafting demand issue and the teleport issue in one swipe.

Or make 3 or 4 world gates and only allow people to teleport to them, while increasing the cost about 20x like the person above said.

3. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

4. Cairo Hayden

Cairo Hayden Avatar

I would like to know how they are being abused. If you're going to suggest removing them give good examples or don't request removal of them. Btw, not everyone abuses teleport scrolls. Don't punish everyone based on a few people who do.

A better question is how is that teleport scroll hurting you?

By Tor [MGT], Dantuin, Elwyn and 15 others like this.
  5. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

All these calls for remove this and nerf that, how about a suggestion to replace something or reduce something? Everything's always "I don't like this / remove it!"
    Those of us who have been playing for several releases prior to final wipe have a fair idea of 'how things have been' and honestly, a lot of those things 'worked'.
    These last minute nerfs and removals are really starting to make the gameplay frustrating.

Now its teleport scrolls.

Ok, lets look at the current implementation. Currently you can teleport to anyone you have on your friends list, with a few exceptions for dungeons and the like.
    I've never understood this personally, but lets look at the complaint and reasoning. "The game is not too difficult to move around in." Ok, if that's true, then why do you care if people teleport? I mean if its so easy to get places, clearly they are just wasting their time and money using teleport scrolls so ...why is it a problem?

Instead of just calling for their removal, I think it would be more sensible to look at where you can teleport "to".
    I think the original idea was to have these to assist groups getting together so people aren't stood around waiting 20 mins for everyone to go through control points etc. to meet up.
    However that's not what they are now.
    Now they are using your friends as a taxi service and I agree this should be looked at.
    Perhaps allowing instead of 'teleport to anyone anywhere' players could have a secondary bind to one location, that these scrolls go to.
    This would allow people to recall (presumably to wherever they live) and teleport to say, their favorite shopping hub or fighting spot.
    I think that would be a reasonable alternative.

Another reasonable alternative would be instead of 'teleport to anyone on friends list' (which really has just resulted in most people having dozens of friends they've never so much as spoken to in their lives) - make it teleport to party leader. This would remove the use of teleport scrolls as a taxi service and make it more what it was intended, I think, to be -to facilitate groups. Could people still form parties for the express purpose of transportation? Of course, but it would require actually talking to each other and making this arrangement, and it would likely reduce tele scroll usage. "Hi, you don't know me but, um, can we make a party so I can come to where you are?" I mean, I'm sure it would happen, but I doubt people would bother for more trivial distances.

Dantuin, Kilhwch, mbomber and 11 others like this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

In chat there are daily requests for "put me on your friends list if you're in owl's head so I can teleport!" There are entire threads in this forum like that.

The teleport scroll was created so actual friends could meet up, not so people can avoid long distances.

In R31 I found multiple bots being used so that guilds could easily teleport around the map at will. I haven't seen that during 32 yet, but it doesn't mean it's not going on behind closed doors. I'm sure there's probably a few "clown car" houses out there were people are constantly coming out but never going in. :)

Vendetta, Abydos, Alexander and 3 others like this.
  7. Cairo Hayden

Cairo Hayden Avatar

Simple solution to that is don't put people in your friends list who are not your friends. Obviously the ones who are, they are both abusing it so they are not effecting anyone else in the game. But again, you can't punish those as you said and I quote "The teleport scroll was created so actual friends could meet up, not so people can avoid long distances" that do it in a legit way because of those who abuse it. I'm tired of the good people always getting punished because of a few people. I for one don't abuse that scroll and find it very handy when I need to get somewhere in a hurry.

Perhaps a better solution would be limited it to like so many teleports per hour or something like that but even then I find myself wanting to go unload stuff at my bank and go back to my group and continue fighting and I think this is a convenient way to do that and putting a cap on it would make that very frustrating indeed.

8. Drocis the Devious

I think just making it more expensive to use the more it's used is a good idea. Want to use it 4 times this hour? Fine. It will cost you 500k.

Alexander and Tahru like this.
  9. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Since the final wipe I've used a total of 4 teleport scrolls, I've even got one of my zero value, starter ones left that doesn't stack with the others.
    All four times were to either get to someone to help them out and/or join up with people who were going to do something together.
    If teleport scrolls are to be adjusted, I hope that the above functionality is preserved.

Aylehvin, Rilman, Leelu and 2 others like this.
  10. Cind

Cind Avatar

You have your choice, WALK if you want to walk! Scrolls stay!

11. Cairo Hayden

Cairo Hayden Avatar

500k? Really please tell me you didn't just say that. I doubt 20% of the players have 500k just sitting around in there pocket. Besides some of us trade on a daily basis and runs from one end of the map to the other take a very long time especially if you have to run through any of the passes. This is a lot of wasted time for people who buy/sell/trade on a daily basis.

12. Drocis the Devious

4 times in a single hour is excessive beyond belief. That's the whole point of making it cost 500k.

If there's an event or something going on, I think it's reasonable to allow people to teleport "collect" and maybe Portalrarium can waive the charge or the event holders can pay it for people. "Hey we're having an event and the first 300 people are paid for, teleport to so and so!" I have no problem with that.

But to say this isn't "a lot of people" abusing it, is not correct. I could list out 100 people by just reading the forums, the chat rooms, and watching people zone into the major cities using their guild bot network.

13. Cairo Hayden

Cairo Hayden Avatar

I have a good idea. Prevent 1 person from making 5-10 accounts so they can sit there and click 'Like' on everything they post from one account or bump there posts to get it to the top of the forum in the marketplace. I see people abuse this all day long!

14. Drocis the Devious

That's another issue that I would strongly like to see a solution for. But it's not something that has anything to do with this thread.

KMarshal Ruin and Oba Evesor like this.
  15. Cairo Hayden

Cairo Hayden Avatar

The main reason a game will fail is because things become way over complicated. To do something like this just creates confusion and complications and arguments. Simple is sometimes better!

16. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

500k is just absolutely ridiculous. That's like 10x the cost of buying one of the cheapest houses.

How about a simpler solution, utilised by MMOs the world over ...put a 1hr cooldown on it.

17. Cairo Hayden

Cairo Hayden Avatar

I guess we may as well do away with Alchemy then. Potions are useless, scrolls are useless, lets make an enchanting table instead of an alchemy table.

FrostII and Malchor1 like this.
  18. Drocis the Devious

Ok, well we disagree.

I'd like to have a functional regional economy that is not screwed over by convenient teleporting to "friends" and bots. It's good for crafters, it's good for the long term stability of the game economy. I'm not saying people shouldn't have an affordable way to meet up with their friends. But if you're using the teleport scroll more than once per hour that's excessive in my opinion. Honestly if you're using it more than once per game session (4 hours) that's excessive. Because once you meet up with your friends the scroll has served its only purpose.

Hazard and Cairo like this.
  19. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I don't think that's unreasonable either.
    But then why not suggest adding a cooldown to scrolls rather than asking for their outright removal...;)

20. Cairo Hayden

Cairo Hayden Avatar

Something I can finally agree on

Lady Cind and FrostII like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.