Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Please remove teleport scrolls

Discussion in 'Release 32 Feedback Forum' started by Poor game design, Aug 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

Selfishly, I'd hate to see teleport scrolls go away. Otherwise, people I group with will have to wait 45 minutes for me to get to where ever we are fighting every time since Lost is my middle name.

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Because my personal preference would be to remove it, however I understand that the developers may wish to have less extreme solutions.

I'd tier it like this:

Use it for the first time during the hour and it costs you 100 gold.
    Use it a 2nd time in an hour and it costs you 500 gold.
    Use it a 3rd time in an hour and it costs you 5000 gold.
    Use it a 4th time, 500k.
    Use it a 5th time, 5 million gold.

So yeah, you can always use it, there's no cool down blocking you. But the more you use it the more it costs you. This prevents players from saying "you won't let me use my scroll and I couldn't go see my friends!" There's always a cost benefit associated with using it and not using it for when you really need it.

Or even better! Tie the cost to where you're going. So if you're trying to teleport to Owl's Head, then that might cost you even more because it's very popular. If you're going to Greyacre then it would be less. The point is, make players try to ration the scrolls, right now they're used like candy and people are zipping around all over the place.

Alley Oop and Tahru like this.
  3. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Stick a cool-down timer on them, with a rolling limit of X amount in Y time. Maybe two or three in any real-life 24 hour period.

However, putting any kind of limits on them will negatively effect some players who truly do want to party with their friends quickly, not navigate a map to get to their friends.

Maybe the solution not to teleport to friends, but to certain public teleport locations, and you can't teleport there unless you've been there once and recorded it in your Teleport Travel Book.

Kilhwch and Gadfrey Zukes like this.
  4. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

Also, the lunar rift travel has yet to be fully fleshed out and implemented. Hopefully this would help expedite travel without a heavy reliance on teleport scrolls. I do have to say though that running through Novia can be an arduous task giving the amount of passes,canyons,bluffs and valleys you have to traverse in order to get from western novia to eastern novia. This makes fast travel a necessity when you dont have 8 extra hours of gameplay for overland map travel (exaggerting but you get the point)

tekkamansoul and LoneStranger like this.
  5. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

... If teleport scrolls should be removed, which i do not support because they have a valid purpose, then we need more lunar rifts.

6. Lained

Lained Avatar

So make teleporting like recall and require you to be bound to other players not via a friends list that is easy to game but by the length of time you've played with each other in game. So initially you have to travel by foot to meet up but after x hours together you can teleport freely, the bind could dissipate over time to only apply for active friends.

Maybe behind closed doors from you not for the devs, this is something they can easily monitor and take action to prevent if they aren't already.

7. Sarek

Sarek Avatar

Need runes and marking, want my library back :(

8. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

If the problem is PvP, disable nearby ports during a siege (many games do this).
    If it's throttling exploration, make people visit a city / location first.
    If it's abusing trade, don't allow it when encumbered or make certain items block teleportation.

I'm generally all for allowing people to play the game however they want and this includes coming online, meeting up with friends, and doing something together in a short period of time.

But it this is breaking the game for everyone else, just figure out what part of the game it's breaking and fix that.

tekkamansoul likes this.
  9. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

I don't think its a problem. But I would agree that making them should be a high level alchemist profession...

10. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Um, it already IS that way.
    You can not teleport or recall if overweight.

11. Cind

Cind Avatar

Nothing is broken don't fix it. There are more things in the game to be concerned about. Put your good solving skills to something of use. I don't know if anyone who teleports that much. If some do then it is very little.

12. languard

languard Avatar

I believe that scaling costs is far to gamey, and won't really solve much of anything. Recall already can't be used encumbered, and I would assume Teleport is the same way. I think perhaps a better balancing mechanism would be to modify how the scrolls are made. Right now it's just 2 wood and 100 gold for materials and bamf! you have a teleport/recall scroll. Maybe different tiers of scrolls
    • Tier 1 - You must have met the person and used a skill to 'record' the person's signature. Number of records limited by Alchemy skill? Scroll cost is the current scroll cost, and each scroll is specific to the person.
    • Tier 2 - You must have the person on your friends list. Requires more alchemy skill and fancier paper, possibly ink? and higher cost in reagents.
    • Tier 3 - The target must be in your guild. Very high alchemy requirment, very fancy paper/ink required. Reagent cost the same as it doesn't make since to have a scroll cost 50 pearls or something stupid like that.
    • Tier 4 - Target can be anyone in the world, you just need a valid character name *and* not be on their block list. Grandmaster Alchemy required, masterwork paper possibly?
    Shouldn't needlessly impact people who just want to meet up with friends, and makes Grandmaster Alchemists very valuable to guilds and in general, plus cross skill reliance for the masterwork paper.

13. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I wonder if they could replace it with a "group summon" kind of like the warlok summon in WoW. It would take 3 people or more to summon someone.

Rebelweasel and Leelu like this.
  14. agra

agra Avatar

Nope. More stick/punitive mechanics aren't going to keep people playing and attract more customers. Bad idea, imo.

It takes long enough as it is to get where you want, with so many loading screens.
    Teleport scrolls are working as intended until a developer says otherwise.
    Please leave them in, exactly as they are, and in fact, please change the recipe to produce them in lots of 3, 5, or 10 to justify the time to find the wood and cost of reagents.
    Also, it would be nice if wood pulp could be made from wood scraps, and that books/notes/papers could be turned into either pulp or scraps.

Dantuin, Kilhwch, Aylehvin and 3 others like this.
  15. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Look, no offense but this is the same response I always get whenever I post any suggestion.
    • "You can't do that people will quit!"
    • Less stick more carrot.
    • These are punitive measures.
    • Don't nerf X!
    What stinks about these responses is two things:
    1. They ignore the problem.
    2. They ignore what's best for the game overall in favor of what's comfortable and most convenient.

Yes, I understand that players don't like restrictions, but they also like games that have depth and are fun to play for more than a month. This is a real problem because it ruins the economy and it cheapens the gaming experience over the long term. So just saying "no I don't like that" as if it's a punishment is not a reasonable response if you're thinking about this objectively. In my opinion.

helm, Bow Vale, Womby and 2 others like this.
  16. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

The reason I bring up "summoning" instead of just "teleportation" is because it would be abused a lot less if people had to be in a group of 4 to do it.

17. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

I equivocally draw the line at dictating whom should play this way and whom should play that way. To remove them completely impedes the new player from the experience of a free world. Many , many players cannot function without a leg up, and I would hate to see them enter , many already frustrated, at how to maneuver around our world. Unless of course someone meets the new players voluntarily , forgoing their own play time to take these unfortunate souls who cannot teleport to the friends that got them to play the game in the first place, to each and every point on the maps until they are familiar with the areas. The problem as has been stated is with those whom are supposedly abusing them, deal with these phantoms first, before even considering removing the recalls or teleports. Why ever would you remove the whole tree because of one wormy apple?

18. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

I think a cool down would help

19. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

Don't forget, that teleport scrolls have already been nerved. The do no longer bring you to the neck of your friend, but only to the entrance of the scene. If your friend is not there, you still will have to walk and look for him.

If you want to punish all in game, which has a potential to be abused by a few hardcore players, you will always punish all players. Such punishments are summarizing up to a level, at which the game is no longer playable for the casual player at all.

*Salute*
    Olahorand

20. redfish

redfish Avatar

Its not going to happen at this point IMO. Personally, I could live without them, but I think its been decided on already.

If it were ever overly abused though, a cooldown would be an easier solution.

Also, not to use this as an excuse to plug my thread, but if they ever put in a Scribe's skill tree, that would naturally add some expenses to the scroll creation process.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.