Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Please remove teleport scrolls

Discussion in 'Release 32 Feedback Forum' started by Poor game design, Aug 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. One Zero

One Zero Avatar

Don't [removed swear word, by Berek] with my teleport scrolls bro!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2016
  2. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Really i think it should equate to just a bit more of the time required to run from one side of novia to the other, so about 20-25 mins.
    It doesnt have to be such a long timer as multi hours. So they are not so much as a time saver as an effort saver.

Basicly just preventing the goku instant transmission all over the world in less than 5 minutes. They should be one trip reducers not the ability to be a bus route all around novia instantly.

3. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

Without naming names, I vote teleport scrolls remain. There are already many many restrictions on the teleport scrolls, and I myself are in favor of MORE types of teleporting being put into this game, please do not remove a feature that can provide growth for the game itself and its players.

Keep Teleport scroll = 200
    no teleport scroll = 1

4. Ash Silvertongue

Ash Silvertongue Avatar

Have you had a low level with 150 HP tried running through Nightshades Pass or even Vauban pass which is worse? It's not very fun dying everytime you run through there and have to go to the nearest Ankh to resurrect. This is very inconvenient for many players at lower level who may only want to craft or gather. If you are not a fight and you don't level up you're pretty well stuck to one spot? Is that what we want for limitations based on your type of play style? I see nothing wrong with teleport scrolls if your friends are someone else and you want to benefit from it to get somewhere else. Now I do disagree with adding 100 people to your friends list and using it that way. And DO NOT put a cap on your friends list because many people out there are buyers/sellers/traders and have that many people on there list they do business with.
    Now if you want to have a central portal in each zone that takes you to another portal in another zone and then finish the run im fine with that. Even if we had to have a teleport scroll on us to use be able to use that portal...

GraveDncer likes this.
  5. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I would put a (long) time limit on how often they can be used within a period of time. Otherwise, I feel that Teleport/recall circumvents Richard Garriots desire for regional economies. I also know that these were put into the game as a compromise because the diehard UO fans kept asking for Mark/Recall runes.

6. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

Teleport scrolls are fine. I'd also like to see more types of fast travel throughout the world, be it ferries or more teleport types or whatever.

People seem to forget that if something like a teleport ability is being abused a lot it means that travelling across the world in game is LESS fun than just skipping it. That is a problem with travelling and not with teleporting.

As a low level fairly casual type of player who is also helping new players and low level friends try and gather together in an area to play together.. travelling across the world is a pain in the ass especially with the pointless chokepoints that we have to go through and die and resurrect every time just to get to a new area

7. Gadfrey Zukes

Gadfrey Zukes Avatar

People ask for a huge expansive, immersive game, with more realism, and then they want the ability to skip the story and teleport over all the scenes. A dichotomy of the human condition I suppose.

For me, the reward in this sort of design comes from the struggle. Being a low-level person, initially "trapped" within the bounds of a few small towns due to your skill level and financial situation, you struggle to get things done until, slowly but surely, by persevering through many frustrating setbacks, you achieve an easier in-game life as your power and your knowledge of the world grows. This is (to me) what made early Origin games so rewarding - if you stuck to them, in the end you felt so much more pride in making it to the end. It's a really satisfying gaming curve.

I vote: 1 hour cooldown on teleport scrolls (that cost), plus a single recall bound to one place .

I for one enjoy when a game forces me to make a difficult decision like: do I park a bunch of stuff in the nearby bank because I am encumbered now and want to keep fighting? or do I recall home and have to make another trip to the site later?

Saosis, Womby, Rampage202 and 3 others like this.
  8. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

1. Then id be able to remove 200 people off my friends list ;)

2. If this is done give some love to the recall scroll id support 4x more cost to teleport scroll if you halved the cost to make recall.

9. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Do you really feel like it costs a lot to make the recall scroll?

I don't even have skill in carpentry or forestry and I can make enough wood pulp to make the scrolls. That's actually another way this could be done, raise the cost of the recipe. (it's probably what the devs would do first since it's just tweaking a number somewhere)

10. Dhanan

Dhanan Avatar

I abuse the crap out of them. I friend EVERYONE that I meet. A good chunk of you magnificant people accept my friend requests. I have so many people on my friends list that my game freezes up whenever I press the F key. I can teleport anywhere I want, whenever I want to. It's excellent. There is no point to the overland map for me whatsoever. I will abuse any system in the game to my advantage. All that being said, I won't shed a tear if it's nerfed. :D

11. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

thats kinda the point... they are ment to be blockers and hard to get through. Regardless I can run through any Pass straight out of solace bridge with relative ease.
    You just cant run through an emeny controlled zone like you are skipping through flowers. And how does having a 20-30 min cooldown stop you from teleport where u need to?

Not really. Its just super easy.
    The whole game design is based off regional ideas. Why do you think there are control points? If everyone can instant travel anytime they want, why do we even have a world map?
    There are some mechanics that need to be forced. its not about playstyle, its about economy, and the theme of the game and how the game actualy plays.
    People should be forced to run on the world map to get places, it requires planning and it gives value to travel.
    I dont think this was ment to be a point and click casual game, tell me where thats what RG wanted.

12. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

No, but its time consuming have to chop down a bunch of trees just to get home.

The travel to friends thing is diffrent because ur kinda cheating the system since u can have a million friends just for the purpose to avoid going anywhere, but I feel ur house is static and you should beable to port to it quickly and efficiently.

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

I played Zelda on emulator where I used cheat mode and save states to make sure I didn't die a lot. I did it because I could and I felt lazy. It didn't mean the original game minus all the cheating wasn't fun.

Leostorm and Dhanan like this.
  14. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

I know the game is supposed to be regional... and yet people are still apparently abusing this system and skipping it all.

Again, that's a problem with the regions not being interesting enough or compelling enough to travel through or stay in. I have no problem making teleporting a bit harder like adding a cooldown, zipping all over the world instantly can certainly be seen to take out some immersion, i'm on board with that. I'm not on board with removing it entirely because right now running across the world map to get from point A to point B is boring and tedious. Travelling shouldn't be a chore and forcing a chore on people is not the right way to design a game.

You are basically saying here that instead of regional ideas and economies developing dynamically through interesting areas and community involvement... that the game needs to implement mechanics to force it on you. What does that tell you?

FrostII likes this.
  15. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I am not against the idea of removing teleport scrolls. I think it causes a lot of inauthentic behavior regarding friends lists.

That being said, I dont mind them too bad. But if they went away, I also wouldnt mind ;)

Tahru likes this.
  16. ShardMist

ShardMist Avatar

From a mage perspective I believe it is possible for an avatar to split themselves or fragment their souls (at great cost to the avatar) for the purpose of instant travel.

Becoming a friend of yourself or at least a fragmented oneself can then allow an avatar to leave these fragments in key locations of the world for the purpose of quick teleportation to these pseudo-friends.

If this sort of imballance in the ether isn't resolved, then it could disturb the fine tuned economy of the planet.

17. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Eventually if the game becomes a chore only a handful of people will play. A better solution, everyone make more friends.

Groups coordinating in an online game isn't game breaking. This type of socialization is what keeps people playing the game for years.

A majority of the player base do not frequent the forums. If the Developers listen to a vocal few always asking to implement extremely time consuming grinds and tedious actions into the game no one will play.

The average adult gamer has a job, family, and commitments. They may only be able to play a few hours a day. Would be a damn shame if the majority of their free time in game is spent walking the overland map. Most of those people won't stay.

Removal of teleport scrolls won't impact the powerhouse guilds. It will cause the average gamer to leave and find something more fun to play.

Make friends or be a loner. Just don't try to impose nonsense on everyone else.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  18. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

They are craftable doesn't cost anything :)

19. Drocis the Devious

I'm not sure if you're joking or not. It costs time to gather or gold coins to buy the ingredients. Not everyone goes out and chops wood all day. I don't.

Tahru likes this.
  20. Drocis the Devious

I don't post here to be popular, I post here to make good suggestions for the game. I have no doubt that if we took a poll most players would say they wanted less restrictions on travel. However most players don't think beyond themselves and often don't see the impact of their base desire to make everything easy. In a multiplayer game you can't do that and expect to have a deep and meaningful experience for many years.

Thankfully the developers understand this and continue to make good decisions that some players may not enjoy over the short term, but will probably understand better as time goes on.

danjacobsmith and Tahru like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.