Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Random lunging forward interferes with weapon (free/glyph) attack

Discussion in 'Release 32 Feedback Forum' started by Balec Fares deCani, Jul 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MIdnightvalkyrie

MIdnightvalkyrie Avatar

It would be really nice to get some kind of acknowledgement of this issue from the developers...Do you all still maintain that this is working as intended or do you have any plans at all to fix the problems people are having with it?

2. Dariog

Dariog Avatar

Sadly, the following is not an exaggeration:

The combat system is unplayable as it stands. Unless they completely eliminate the "New Melee Experience", every penny we've spent on this game is just money thrown away. I say this not to be over-dramatic, but because it is a fact .... and in the sincere hope they will listen to us and save this game (which I have loved) from total disaster.

Rofo, agra, Rinaldi and 1 other person like this.
  3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Well stated, @Weins201
    And what bothers me almost as much as the current melee mechanic, is the deafening silence from Port on this issue.
    I'm hoping that this silence may be because they are considering a move BACK to where melee was PRIOR to the addition of the reticle - which IMO is where melee combat began its roll downhill. We've already lost some players from the game because of the changes that the stupid reticle introduced, and we could get them back - not to mention the people who are considering leaving - as we speak - because of how stupid melee combat is currently.

4. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

just tossing in another 0.02 that i do not like being forced forward towards my targets. it makes manuevering more difficult, and makes it hard to take advantage of my polearms' extended range. it makes certain tactical decisions and attacks way too tricky or sometimes impossible, such as knockback + pull, or tactically withdrawing / kiting.

I do not have nearly as negative reaction as others, and consider it a work in progress. Its obvious that some game mechanics are broken with this new design (i.e., aforementioned distance-combat (polearm, 2h, etc)), and I expect the devs to resolve this while maintaining their vision of what melee combat should be like. I do not believe the current experience is working as intended, so no biggie for now ;-).

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  5. zyxe

zyxe Avatar

I've experienced this forward lunging movement mildly on my melee character. What I've noticed since playing this release (granted, I pretty much skipped the last one so I don't know if this was the same then) is that I am way too close to enemies while fighting. It's like the game requires me to be in the same hit box as my enemy or strikes won't connect. I can see how this would help create the issue everyone's been talking about in this thread for any movement that thrusts you forward since you are already too close to the target's center, then end up moving past it and having to turn around and face the other way. I wonder if making melee distance a little further would help.

I have to say, though, that I dislike having my avatar moved for me in close range, especially with the newer targeting system (that's a whole other story in itself, though).

tekkamansoul, Brent Sasz and Lazlo like this.
  6. Acaelus Fireharp

Acaelus Fireharp Avatar

Have to agree with this, its very annoying, especially when auto attack moves you as you are casting fireball... :mad:

Fister Magee and Dariog like this.
  7. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Not quite silence. We all keep reporting it as a bug, @Attenwood keeps moving the bug reports to the feedback thread. If the default melee behaviour invalidates three skill glyphs (Engage Opponent, Body Slam, and Shield Bash as @Weins201 mentioned) then either this is a bug, or the existence of those skills is a bug.

8. agra

agra Avatar

And yet the developers have explicitly stated this IS working as intended. :(

9. Dariog

Dariog Avatar

Direct quote.

10. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Or, threads should be created under the context of "these skills are bugged and not playing well with the new melee movement design".

I move things to the feedback forum because that's where critical design implementations that are still in need of refinement get looked at. Not my section of the woods. I'll write up the issues with those skills.

Albus and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  11. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I've been working up Bludgeon over the last couple days, to supplement my archery. I don't think the movement forward is a *bad* change. It actually *looks* pretty decent, visually. The issue is than it just moves you too far forward, so it moves your camera. If it didnt, or if you took a step back after making the attack so you ended in the same position, this would all work fine.

My biggest issue is that the swing animation for bludgeon is broken, so I'm waving my spiked mace to the side, instead of at my target. lol

12. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Like this?

Your response on that thread was the same as elsewhere. I know it's not your issue, but whose issue is it and why do we keep seeing comments from you instead of from them? I'm sure we'd be delighted to pester them instead of you.

And the issue with the skills isn't that they're bugged, it's that they're pointless because all the other melee skills have the same effect.

Weins201 likes this.
  13. Brent S

Brent S Avatar

I have to agree. This "feature" is very...irritating.

Dariog likes this.
  14. Dariog

Dariog Avatar

I'd like to know that too.

15. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

It's not any specific skill, it happens regardless. Although it certainly wastes skills when you magically end up behind the mob or facing away from a group of mobs.

That and the broken mechanics of multi hit weapons (frontal arc) used with skills, makes it quite crappier than my first combat experience in r18.

Please play-test this... Or listen to the feedback, or both.

Rebelweasel, Dariog and Alley Oop like this.
  16. Dariog

Dariog Avatar

Plus the new patch just nerfed Root. Again. Now mobs can continue to attack you while rooted. Even archers. All of that is quite intentional, too.
    While this is not nearly as important as the topic of this thread, it does make Root next to useless.

Scraps MacMutt and FrostII like this.
  17. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

actually, as much as i love my root, that one seems fair. ...and i root archers so i can get close to them, so that still works.

18. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Was gonna post my own opinion, but I'm just gonna agree with @Dariog here. I hope they will back it off a bit. I mean, pretty much nerfing - what we've been doing with root since root began - at this stage of the game (with me ALREADY heavily invested in that tree) is disheartening - to say the least.

I mean what's next on the agenda of nerfs ? I know we're still in "Pre-Release" or whatever it's being called, but I'm sure a bunch of us would appreciate it immensely if we had some idea of when you guys are going to consider the way skills work - as done.

I mean, I sorta like to make a plan and stick to it.

I would have no problem with raising a new Earth Tree skill that would at least soften our melee mob's newly acquired attack, if that's what it takes to get back what we've had since day 1.

But I believe you should seriously consider throwing us a bone on this one... por favor.... ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2016
    Dariog likes this.
  19. Izadar

Izadar Avatar

What is this current melee system trying to accomplish? It certainly isn't an improvement over current combat systems in other mmo's.

Rebelweasel likes this.
  20. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Don't know if this holds true for melee weapons other than bludgeon but this is what I'm using (1 Hander) I often get "Locked out" ie my character gets repositioned outside of my bludgeoning range constantly, leaving me to my spells or rage quit / go smoke and try again later.. Is this also as intended one might wonder :)

Dariog likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.