Emotes - Gotta catch them all (discontinued - last updated R47 use wiki instead)

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Spoon, Aug 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Wow, never even heard of that. You'd think such a quest would have been well advertised. I'll have to research!

Time Lord, Leelu and Acred like this.
  2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Nothing to see here until thursday, move along.

Time Lord, Sean Silverfoot and Acred like this.
  3. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

I wasn't able to get nosepick this release, after the npc stopped giving coconuts I am unable to stumble upon the correct words to get him to teach this emote.

Time Lord and Leelu like this.
  4. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

He won't teach you nosepick or give you coconuts if you have coconuts already in your inventory.

Time Lord, Bom and Leelu like this.
  5. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

so I need to bank them then try again?

6. enderandrew

That is what I had to do.

7. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I tried it right now on b465, worked fine.

Time Lord, Bom and Leelu like this.
  8. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

If anyone sees me in game, I will gladly pass on all the LOTM emotes and then some. The only condition is the emotes must be passed on forward to others.

Rhiannon, Time Lord, Budner and 4 others like this.
  9. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

Doesn't the captain of the guard in Ardoris also teach /salute as a quest reward?

Time Lord likes this.
  10. enderandrew

I've tried to become the first player in the game to collect every single available emote, but I'm also teaching freely (often unasked) to most anyone I come across. I very quickly obtained every emote but two. I've purchased the paid emotes as well.

I'm only missing the /shooter and /starrelton emotes. @DarkStarr said he'd hook me up with his at some point.

As for /shooter I was at the release party and have screenshots, but I kept crashing constantly. When I wasn't crashing I was getting disconnected. I fought with it for an hour and then gave up, thinking if I wasn't trying to connect anymore, I was perhaps freeing up a spot for someone else. I put in a support ticket thinking I should have the emote. I was told only people that stayed to the very end get the emote. I explained it was technical problems on Port's end that prevented me from getting it. I was told that doesn't change anything. So I guess I'll never be able to collect them all.

I'm not the type to ask for something for free or unwarranted, but I'm not sure that is a great precedent that if you're screwed out of something because of technical problems Port has, then you're out of luck.

All that being said, @Berek was very prompt in replying to my support email. He followed up a few times and was very polite. I felt bad wasting his time over an emote, but at the same time if I know I can never collect them all, it somewhat dissuades me from buying the two new batches of emotes coming out Thursday and the rest moving forward.

I believe he does when you give him Stanley's notes.

Time Lord, Bom and Tahru like this.
  11. Albus

Albus Avatar

Just a head's up about the "Pontificate" emote, had some friends who are unable to ever get that emote (unless something is changed) because they turned in a quest item to the "wrong" npc first. Seems like you need to read a guide to avoid that happening to you. Someone brought this up at the telethon regarding possibly making Pontificate teachable, but devs said that would not happen and did not seem to realize people can be totally unable to get the emote because of doing quests in the wrong order. Somehow that needs fixed for those caught in that circumstance.

---Edited to add that this has been addressed, in that characters that learn the emote from the NPC now are able to teach the emote (even if those who previously learned the emote are not able to teach it). So at least there is now a way to obtain the emote if you botched getting it in the first place :)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  12. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Thursday has come and lo and behold the list now has the new entries.

Actions with consequences and all of that, and it is a teachable emote.
    What needs fixing is that one can retrieve multiple copies of those books, it needs to be either/or .... either we can retrieve multiple copies and then can turn in to all interested parties ... or we can only turn in to one interested party and there is only one copy given per player.

Time Lord, Bom and enderandrew like this.
  13. Albus

Albus Avatar

The thing is, the Pontificate emote is *not* teachable - at least in my testing. Also, I agree with consequences, but not with no advance clue at least in cases where a player will be permanently deprived of an emote.

As an example of the problem with this situation, I went with a friend doing quests in Desolace. We both picked up three quests, including the two quests involving the books that the researchers/quest givers ask for. We both picked up all the books together and returned to the npc's to complete the quests. I happened to turn in books to the female npc first, while my friend at the same time turned in books to the male npc first. Note that nothing about the quest suggests you will be disqualified from completing the alternate quest by turning in books for the other quest first. End result, by happenstance of turning in books to the female npc first, I got the emote - while my friend, who again just happened to turn in the quests to the other npc first, did not get the emote.

There was no decision-making here, no choosing one quest npc over the other (they seemed equivalent so far as either of us noticed), no expectation of different rewards based on turning in books first to one npc or the other, and no suggestion that both quests could not be completed. So no real choice was made, yet I permanently get the emote, which is unteachable, while my friend is permanently unable to get the emote (unless he deletes his character to start all over again). I have to say this is just wrong, and I am sure my friend is not the only one effected by this. It's an important problem for roleplayers really, and should be changed (though it has been rejected as a bug in the bug forums for release 32).

Personally I think the quest and its setup is just not "finished" but for now at least r/p'ers are getting hit by an unexpected consequence depriving them of an emote by this issue, unless they "spoil" the quest by researching it out of game beforehand. I just don't see any upside to this situation, and believe it should be rectified. Meanwhile perhaps some r/p'ers will stumble upon this before trying the quests and being deprived of a nice emote in the way my friend was.

Time Lord and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  14. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@Albus

Not being teachable should be a bug. I've seen one report on it.
    Also I don't mind the setup - as long as some other NPC give it out as well.

Like Abigail teaching you Backflip if you rescue her daughter. But if you miss that you can still get it from Tobbin.

15. Albus

Albus Avatar

Yes, either or both of these solutions would nullify any issue I have with the setup. If the emote could be obtained by other means I'd have no issue with it really.

Time Lord and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  16. enderandrew

I was told the /bloodrain reliquary emote would change to teachable but it has not in this release.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

The /shooter emote is now just like /starrlton and /tableflip - only teachable by Shooter Jennings.

At least, that's my theory, anyway.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Aimend

Aimend Avatar

That's the way it was always supposed to be. And it was only teachable by Shooter when the /shooter emote was first given to the winners of the riddle at the Shooter party event.

Time Lord and Bom like this.
  19. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

Sneeze is missing.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

The R33 ones have not been added yet.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.