Friendly Neighborhood Black Mage seeking help...

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Black Mage, Aug 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Mage

Black Mage Avatar

First off let me start by saying, this is the single greatest, most helpful community, I've ever experienced in gaming. *Applause. Well done all.

So like all of you I've been playing as much as I can for the past 2 weeks, and am curious how everyone is optimizing their Stat and Skill gain. I think I have figured out what skills I want, and have slowly but surely been increasing them as much as I can, but i don't feel like I'm doing it in the most efficient manner. (Lightning is around 65, Chain Lightning is around 55, Int is 32) I've heard people mention just work on one skill at a time if theres one you really want to raise. Is that really the most effective way to advance as a Mage? I've set all skills I don't want to use to degrade and all the ones I want to raise to raise.

Also anyone have any tips for raising Int. or is it just going to be a really slow grind? Any help, advice, tips would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Audacity, 4EverLost and Oba Evesor like this.
  2. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Regardless of what template you're playing, you will want to raise STR/DEX/INT. Since STR will increase your HP and also the inventory capacity. It also boost some of the Earth spell damage, DEX will help boost your crit (is it melee online?) and also Air spell damage. INT is you know...

You should be able to lock all your spells at 60 and still wrecking 4-5 skull zone mobs if you target them carefully. I would recommend to do that and then focus on raising STR/DEX/INT.

What is your combat deck looks like? What equipment are you using? If you could describe your setup in more details, we can go deeper in the details.

Have fuN!

4EverLost, Black Mage and Oba Evesor like this.
  3. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

First I wouldnt set your skills youre not using to 'degrade' (un-train). Just set them to maintain (tan/yellowish arrow), or just the little line.

The larger you xp pool (little set of grey numbers in the bottom right of your skills menu (K)), the faster your skills train. Each time you use a skill it pulls a % of your pool. So a lot of guys prefer getting to a point where they can kill everything in a particular zone, then lock all skills and build up your pool.

INT, DEX and STR are the most expensive skills to raise. Get Int to a point youre comfortable killing (INT lvl 40ish is a good start) and lock it for a while. Those skills will eat up your pool. Besides being expensive they pull from your pool w/everything ya do. A regular 'skill' only pulls from your pool when ya use it.

Audacity, 4EverLost and Black Mage like this.
  4. Black Mage

Black Mage Avatar

Originally plan was to run a Water Air Mage, so I'm currently using Ice Arrow, Lightning, Chain Lightning, Discharge, Air Elemental, decided to add fire for Ring of fire so also added fire arrow, fireball, etc, to get to that. Plus trying to get to Water Elemental for the healing. Weapon I'm currently using is blades. Eventually probably drop that for a staff that grants fizzle reduction.

I was under the impression that just using my normal spells would raise INT. But it's a crawl so I'm guessing that's not the best way to do it.

5. Black Mage

Black Mage Avatar

How does one focus on raising STR/DEX/INT. Tried to find info on raising those stats in particular with no luck.

6. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

@Black Mage To focus specifically on a skill all one has to do is set all other skills to maintain.
    For those specific skills do one at a time. Train DEX then INT then STR.

DEX is massive to mages, Air scales off of DEX and it decides hit/miss and crits.

If you lock everything but that skill then that is the only skill you train.

7. Black Mage

Black Mage Avatar

@Oba Evesor I think I now understand how to focus training a specific skill, thank you for the explanation, very helpful. But I'm still not clear on how to focus training a stat, like DEX for example. Is it the train DEX or train INT skill in the Subterfuge and Focus skill tree? Then do I just use revelant skills to train those stats? Like cast spells for INT, and use dodge skills for DEX?

Oba Evesor likes this.
  8. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

Yep its the train DEX or INT or STR skill in your trees.

Those three skills train no matter what you do. Auto-attack, spells, light armor glyphs etc. Everything increases Base Stats when they are leveling. They eat a ton of XP and they are way more expensive (cost more xp to train up) than a standard attack spell.
    Keep an eye on your XP pool that's the biggest blocker to base stats.

9. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

Keeping enough on to break even, or slightly raise the pool, is ideal. As long as you are sitting at 3k+

Stat skills take forever, so I personally do not turn them off.

Some passives are huge xp hogs too, because they are always active.

You will have preferential stuff to focus on. Air for dmg/attunement, Dex for reasons stated, Str for HP and blade, Int for focus and damage/crit

Blades are nice free damage to keep focus and reagent costs down. Plus thrust and coup de grace really kick ass at higher levels. (you will also notice weapon and magic GCDs are not linked) Ypu can still be 1s into clearing a spell GCD but weave a thrust in.

I went heavy into Focus and Tactics as well, but that is due to being more of a melee mage with Death main spec, air and chaos sub. Subterfuge for crit + dex

Tactics gives stances which can be very helpful plus Str and a huge buff to 2HS defense (parry)

I honestly have a crap-ton turned on.. but kill yellows and it works. Difficult to begin there though.

My biggest, baddest AoE uses zero reagents but requires a pile of bodies at my feet to become a true nuke.

When I get to town, I load up a training deck, pop out a gustball, and spam me some glyphs that are not used as frequently in combat. (summons, coup de grace, ice/death shield)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  10. Black Mage

Black Mage Avatar

All good info so far thanks everyone.

Blackfire1 likes this.
  11. Blackfire1

Blackfire1 Avatar

Good to know.

12. Xail

Xail Avatar

Just put 3 gems on your gear...and cast air embrace and enlightenment...and understand how attunement works...and click to the stats on the "c" pop up to see what they do...then learn how to optimaze to grind...just think in terms of xp/minutes...

...that if u want to cut time on levelling...otherwise just enjoy the game and do whatever u have more fun in the game :) ...hope I was helpful...

Black Mage likes this.
  13. Black Mage

Black Mage Avatar

Of course, any and all advice is helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.