1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Release 33 Instructions

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Aug 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beli

Beli Avatar

Q3 Roadmap so not sure where that info came from. Sorry for any miscommunication. @DarkStarr
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-towns-player-run-towns-and-water-lots.46411/
    Post-Wipe Features & Content: The following items will come online in the monthly releases AFTER Release 32. Entry/Exit Point Locations: Owners will be able to select from a list of possible locations. Note that this will NOT be the ability to place an entry point location anywhere.

Hopefully this can happen in the next release or two.

Acred and Lord Andernut like this.
  2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

You know, I've been very vocal about hating this PvP scene decision. However, I do realize its been announced for two and a half years.
    I've stepped back and looked at why this upset me. There are a lot of people that are up in arms about resource availability, but the only resource I ever went to a Shardfall for was Obsidian Chips; obtainable elsewhere if necessary. Its not about being put in PvP mode; I've taken friends with me to Shardfalls and killed each other in FPO. So my objections are really just two:
    1. I don't want anything in game to change my mode to Open Multiplayer. I choose to play in Friends Online, except when I explicitly log in to go to community events. Selective Multiplayer is what caused me to buy multiple accounts for this game and give them to friends and family, so we can play together without the hassle of dealing with "bad elements" that we've grown tired of in traditional MMOs: griefers, camp stealers, juvenile antics, etc. Additionally, I've purchased an account for my son so that we can play together. He has social anxiety, and we have already dealt with online harassment, so I will NOT expose him to open multiplayer mode. So, now that there is a system in place to change modes, *please* provide an option to automatically disable this feature. A simple toggle in settings is sufficient.
    2. Some of the most stunning scenes in the game are now not available in half of the play modes. Shardfalls, and to a lesser extent Obsidian Ruins, are gorgeous scenes. However, they are now only available in open multiplayer and offline modes. Again, because we will not be playing in open multiplayer, the only way we can now see these are offline. And due to the level of the scenes, that involves some amount of time grinding up just to be able to survive in those scenes to explore them. Seems like a frivolous waste of our time. Since we are not likely to "get these scenes back", could I kindly request a "Reclaimed Shardfall" scene be added in the future? This would be Shardfall scene in which the worst of the mutated life has been purged; the shards themselves still exist, and perhaps one of the floating stones has been chained, similarly to those in the Ruins. A few flesh flayers should still be here, for a rare shot at obsidian chips, but the rest of the scene would be obsidian wolves or the like. Unlike other shardfalls, this scene would not automatically change players to open multiplayer or PvP flagged. This would give explorers a place to see the Shardfalls, without changing modes.
    Portalarium, thank you for all the work you do. I know some of us can be passionate about our wants, but you continue to make an excellent game. I look forward to seeing how this progresses.

3. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

@DarkStarr On the launcher screen..."Explore the hundreds of rare Pledge rewards" might want to update that.

4. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Concerning this, putting in a teleporting wizard doesn't sound like the best "creative" solution to this. My solution would be to have access to the Crypt of the Avatar via the "Midmaer passage" which presently runs from Kiln to the Spectral Mines. Since this technically runs under Midras anyways, it seems like the most logical solution. Put in a breakthrough wall at the entrance of the Crypt where the ladder is, which would then connect to the Midmaer passage.

5. syxs

syxs Avatar

So for the next month I can not complete the story because I do not wish to PvP? How do we know this won't stay in for another release? And another? A what point do we point out we didn't sign up for a forced PvP game? And its only one zone for now what about in the future with the other story lines, what if they have PvP zones will you still be defending a system that tries to get people into PvP by tricking them and forcing them to go into the zone to complete the story. The story is what draws a lot of different people.

This is silly as it does nothing to encourage PvP it encourages you to take a risk and no reward. I risk death to complete the story and loss of items or I spend 1k gold to bypass it or spend 1 hour looking for a key? Your ignoring the issue of it being forced for the next month. So its not an issue if you get a group together but what happened to selective multiplayer where you could play by yourself and enjoy the story? Now you need a group of people in case they decide to camp this zone and you bought the game for the story not the PvP.

Why should we not be criticizing the options for solutions its not like they do anything until people on the forums complaining about those solutions and they tend to still do them. Its not acceptable to expect everyone to accept what they do in blind faith. They have shown this time and again with the system changes that break more and more, making it harder for casual players to play the game because they are focusing on top end builds and the way people farm exp.

6. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

They almost upgraded to Unity 5.4 but had to hold off on the upgrade. The Unity 5.4 upgrade looks like it will have pretty significant performance upgrades. So it didn't quite make this release, but it is coming soon.

My big concern is that this will really hurt new players who can't run through a control point if they can't interact to open a gate while a creature has agro on them.

Post R32 just meant sometime after R32. If it wasn't on the Q3 roadmap that meant it wasn't coming soon.

7. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

You are being overly daramtic.
    Did you expect to play a EA game without any problems?
    Darkstarr said they are working on a solution. So the solution will come. And since a lot of people have strong feelings about this it will come soon.
    YES you are locked out of the story for a while in a EA game. There aren't even all storys ingame yet but THIS ONE story is particularly important and even more so you have to do it NOW....owait.
    This small part of the story is a victim of the changes. But that's not going to stay like that. No one wants to "trick you into PvP".

Metlore likes this.
  8. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

They already have stated they'll have a solution, I expect it will be for next release but could be sooner, they expected the controversy and acknowledged it. As it is, if you're going through that area for the story and just can't wait for the work-around then don't take anything super-valuable on your person.

You can't complete the story because the story isn't completed yet or in-game, so you'll be waiting far more than one month. We've waited, for some of us, over 3 years, and have months to go before full launch, and in all this time it appears that for a single 30 day stretch you might have to avoid one area of the game for a bit.

I can't help but feel there would be no backlash if they had said "we're taking this zone out of the game for a month due to a bug" and yet when people say pvp it immediately provokes reactions that seem blown way out of proportion.

The game is in development and I don't think it's unfair to players to have inconveniences while the developers... develop... the game.

9. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I haven't tried this, does it affect doors?

Kara Brae, Chatele and Acred like this.
  10. Browncoat Jayson

Gates in the control points can be bashed open from one side, and the bar pushed open from the other. Perhaps these can be made to be "combat" moves (i.e., actually break it, as opposed to play an animation).

One thing that Ive found annoying in previous releases, and will probably be even worse with this change, is that being hit seems to throw you into a pseudo-combat mode. Your hotbar acts like combat mode, but you don't have a weapon drawn. This is bad already, because the non-combat hotbar is where we place our movement abilities which can actually help us avoid combat. If we get thrown into combat mode, not only can't we escape, but we also can't interact with anything. I've made a tertiary combat bar with locked abilities to mimic my non-combat bar, for moving around, but this change limits how useful that is.

Kara Brae, Metlore, 4EverLost and 4 others like this.
  11. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

You bash one gate and you have to interact to open the gate by lifting a bar for the other one.

4EverLost likes this.
  12. Browncoat Jayson

I guess that's another reason for the alternate paths? I dunno. I'm not sure what this change was to "fix"? In-combat looting?

Chatele likes this.
  13. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Sure I can see how that might have been interpreted as directly after R32 but that post was well before our Q3 Roadmap. Always refer to the Roadmap for the details of what will be delivered and when.

14. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I agree. I do not want to be forced into PVP for ANY reason, i want to decide for myself if I want to or not.... I bought into this game because I was promised their would be no force PVP, but having me go thru one to quest SUXm and is forcing me to PVP, unless I can go thru it unflagged for pvp making it safe for me unless I initiate it ....

15. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Screw that crap, I just won't play ... I like doing quests, but not if it forces me into a PVP zone to complete it.... and having to pay to get thru sux since the control points are ridiculously priced ....

16. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

We LOVE this suggestion. So much that it's going in the first patch! Great job Alexander!

Albus, Saesa, Acred and 22 others like this.
  17. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Awesome. Thank You :)

18. Arcanoxer

Arcanoxer Avatar

The taming nerf is way to huge, the skill is totaly garbage now.
    I play a day one Ranger/tamer ingame, taming is around 76 and my own tamed Obsidian Wolf has around 115 Hitpoints, are you serieous?
    I have to dismiss him after 10 seconds of normal combat (against one Creature), otherwise i stuck in a Ressurection loop, no chance to keep him alive with 84 Heal Creature skill.

So i basically spent thousands of uber expensive Silver Ore in the beginning of the Game for nothing?
    And i realy mean nothing, the skill is more like a burden then a help now.

Did you guys ever tested the skill after the nerf? It's like the new Moon Magic, only worse.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    Julz, Ice Queen, agra and 1 other person like this.
  19. Phoenix007

Phoenix007 Avatar

I agree.

Dragonhart and Browncoat Jayson like this.
  20. Beli

Beli Avatar

Dont Lawyer me bro. Just kidding, Thanks for the response.

tinman_n8 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.