Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Archery Class is OP

Discussion in 'Release 32 Feedback Forum' started by Infineon, Aug 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I hear you. There are a couple of things you can do to alleviate it though. First: make sure that you load yourself with arrows right to the limit of your carrying capacity. You'll be using the arrows as you collect stuff, so no worries about being able to grab loot. Second: use free attack. Auto attack wastes a lot of arrows. Third: get your "Train Strength" skill to 40. This will help you carry more arrows and allow you to unlock "Heavy Lifter", which will help you carry more arrows.

2. Jasper8282

Jasper8282 Avatar

I did say I was a former melee guy because I converted to archery. I feel like the Ranged tree needs a passive that reduces the weight of arrows I think. I know there is the overall carrying capacity passive in the tactics tree (which helps a TON), but there should be something for arrows specifically I think.

I think the devs are thinking that the wear on a melee's armor/shield should be the equivalent cost of arrows for an archer. Archers will always get hit less than melee. I don't think it is a fair comparison, but it also isn't fair to say that "Melee guys have no costs".

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

There's a passive that reduces the amount of arrows used. Essentially the same effect as reducing the weight.

4. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

Archer rocks against single targets.
    So in PvP 1 on 1 they appear better than they are..
    In PvE they do fine, but don't compare to killing 3-5 mobs at the same time, you can do with 2 handed weapons and area effect spells.

cartodude and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  5. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

Actually, even if you never ever get hit, your armor will still wear out because your armor wear occurs just by shooting your bow.
    They've already thought of this imbalance and nerfed it so archers and mages that never get hit sill need to repair their armor too.

I tried archery last release, and put it back down again, leaving town with 3k+ arrows just to have a normal hunting trip, hurt my looting abilities, or calculating exactly how many arrows you need to get a full load of ore in a mine, really put the hurt to my gathering skills.
    On top of that only being able to kill one mob at a time, meant Archery leveled fast to start with, then slowed down as the maximum xp per hour capped out much sooner without some form of regular area effect damage.
    In theory I could see it working by facing Oranges and Reds for the high xp per kill but the miss rate is too high to be effective for maximum xp per hour.

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

No, it doesn't. Damage to your armor comes from the damage you take. Damage to your bow comes from the damage you inflict.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  7. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

Wrong...
    Using light armor sprint, root, crippling shot, fight any non-archer/non-caster for hours without getting hit, and watch your armor very slowly take durability loss.

I agree with you that is how it is supposed to work, and for weapons it works that way.
    However, Never getting hit doesn't mean never repairing your armor.

8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Since the start of R32, I've repaired my bow many times but I have yet to repair my armor. Also, it's just about impossible to fight anything for hours without getting hit. BTW, just because your avatar is not taking damage doesn't mean you're not being hit.

9. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

I'm melee I'm only level 62 at the moment, but I can say the same thing.. I haven't repaired my armor either, and I'm on my 5th crafted weapon.

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Shoot at a gustball for hours and if your armor takes damage then I'll believe you.

Snazz likes this.
  11. Net

Net Avatar

I think the magic is nerfed way too much rather than archery is OP. The magic does not crit as much, you need high Int, high skill, and high attunement for magic to work. Another thing about archers si that they never get interrupted. And they never need to stop to cast ranged spell, so they can kite pretty much anything. Magic was nerfed so there are no longer any instant ranged spells, esppecially at lower levels you can hardly cast anything without interrupt and all your spells do minimal damage. That being said fire magic is quite OP since NPCs do not use douse/purify to remove dots which stack.

The bottom line is the game needs way more balancing, especially on progression curve within skill trees. A lot of people uses melee or archery to get quick xp and then switch to magic and are better mages than people who started as mages.

Oh and magic still needs reagents to be cheaper and to be used even for low tier skills.

12. Vendetta

Vendetta Avatar

I'm pretty much an "old" noob in my current situation in the game, having just recently returned after a very long time away (years). While working on my noob toon yesterday, an archer walked into the zone, waltzed up to some kobolds and I had to blink a couple of times to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on me. His rate of fire with his bow was like a machine gun.

I laughed, but it wasn't funny.

13. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

It might look impressive but each of those hits can do at times about 6-10 damage or so for the ones that actually hit, sometimes more but its not the best skill for damage and rapid fire is quite a costly skill to use for amount of arrows and focus used. Archery is really about single target attack, and so the damage does need to be quite high, later on its actually the hardest class to level as when you are needing lots xp to raise skills its easier by fat to be an aoe mage or melee build i have seen that can attract lots of aggro and decimate with swords and there own aoe while being protected by heavy plate. Archers on the other hand have to be on constant move else we toast, its a much more active class to play than melee.
    I saw a post other day from a melee user who makes around 180k sp an hour. That's like 3o00 a minute non stop, the best i can do is to maybe take one out in a minute for less than 1k xp. I started some tests and within half an hour i had made about 20k, then i ran out of arrows and had to go home. :(

Vendetta and cartodude like this.
  14. Rampage202

Rampage202 Avatar

This issue is actually easier to solve than you realize, all we need now is to finally give archers that one piece of iconic gear that defines them as a real archer:

The Arrow Quiver; a specialized bag allowing for 4-10x the normal arrow carrying capacity but can only be used for arrows.

KuBaTRiZeS, Govenor Ruin and Bow Vale like this.
  15. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Yes please...can be used in the belt slot

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  16. Vendetta

Vendetta Avatar

Well, you definitely know more about the archer for players than I do.

But something I do know about now is NPC archers. Invariably they are my priority targets because they are the most dangerous. The AI on NPCs is full of issues, but the anti-kiting for us is pretty funny when the kiting mechanic on archers, water elementals, etc. kicks in and they run around collecting more aggro on you as they put distance and fire off shots like The Flash. I feel like the Benny Hill Theme needs to be playing when I fight some of these mobs.

Orange/Red NPC Archers are my toughest opponents. Period. I'm playing a hybrid fighter/mage build at the moment, so hopefully things will balance out more as I gain skill points, and as you intimate things go for archery as players level.

17. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

The OP was with regard pvp archers however, NPC archers are my hardest foe as well in pve. There are a number of skills that cause less damage on yourself, some that will get you closer to your target and some that will help cause your target to be less effective. Maybe skilling into these a little will help you against them.

Vendetta likes this.
  18. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

Bingo!

As an archer I ...

Can't tank
    Can't control mobs
    Have to kite all day long
    Have no stuns
    Do minimal damage against a highly armoured foe in PVP

The other classes have their own power curve and uses, a tank can toe to toe/bash/slam and stun all day long. A Mage is by far the most difficult early game but by far the most powerful class once they are developed. Tons of crowd control, massive single and group damage, plus multiple stuns/slows and impairments.

19. Alexandra Cornfellow

Alexandra Cornfellow Avatar

Hehe, me too! For me my mage has a much easier time of it than my archer.

Exactly, me too Liavain, uncertain what the OP is talking about...maybe I'm too old to be playing with bows and arrows...

20. SydronKnight

SydronKnight Avatar

Nice sarcasm, no one is saying people shouldn't play archers. Only that Archery is OP. If they can reduce the speed of moving backwards by 1/4, thats should fix Archery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.