1. All post bodies concerning Shroud of the Avatar player to player transactions or services are limited to this section of the forums. Unwanted solicitation in other sections of the forums or via chat or private message is prohibited, and could result in account restriction or ban. Posting more than once per week within your own thread, "bumping" it to keep it on top, bumping within a week of the first post, and daily replacing a post with a new one is also considered spam and is therefore, prohibited. Bumping is allowed once per week, if the new post contains information that is meaningful to the original thread (i.e. price updates).

Activities that involve real money exchanges between players are not allowed. Account transfers are not supported. Items purchased in the SotA Store, such as Pledge and Bundle Rewards, Add-Ons, Stretch-Goal items, and Player Owned Towns, as well as services that can be immediately fulfilled in-game (such as renting existing in-game property or items) are the only permitted exchanges in the Player Marketplace.

Be sure to include the types of payment accepted in your post [In Game Gold, COTOs/Crowns, or in game item trade]

We will not restrict exchange of goods but we will not officially endorse these exchanges due to liability issues and staffing bandwidth. No in-game or chat based real money exchanges are allowed. Exchanges are at the players own risk and governed by the Terms of Service of whatever third party platform. Catnip Games reserves the right to restrict any activities if they cause widespread issues for our community or if these activities involve exploits of any kind.

BEWARE players are already scamming the community . . .

Discussion in 'Sell Items (WTS Gear, Decorations, Crafted Items)' started by Weins201, Aug 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

There are players listing items changing their names, and or listing them as something they are not.

If you see somthign that looks like a Rewad Item for sale incredibly cheap look hard at the actual value.

If the Value is not 0 it is NOT a reward item.

Do not be taken in by the scammer.

Take a screen shot, and submit it to the support team ASAP, it is a blatant violation of Portalariums policies on deliberately deceiving players.

Melissa, moko, margaritte and 9 others like this.
  2. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Who was the scammer? We should create a thread and pin at the top of the forum. Anyone that scams should go on a black list and be forbidden from trading.

Melissa, Solazur, Sentinel2 and 2 others like this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

You can't do that. It's not your job. Send a PM to Portalarium and allow them to investigate and handle it. Making posts like that will only get you banned.

@Weins201 how are people changing the names of items? I don't understand how that's possible.

4. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Maybe can't do it here - we could always create a blacklist somewhere else though.

Something else that could be done could be that Portalarium bans scammers from posting in the marketplace forums... now, before a trade happens - both parties could post in the marketplace to prove they're not on the ban/blacklist.

I don't see a reason for protecting scammers and cheaters, we should call them out and be done with it.... because anything less means it didn't happen.

Melissa likes this.
  5. Lained

Lained Avatar

Check out the Owl's Head vendor it has bags renamed, not sure of other items.

6. Vrunk Hrrk

Vrunk Hrrk Avatar

BDF

You are tagged for an opinion with a picture of this in the dev bug section.

7. Drocis the Devious

Because it's possible that people would post innocent players on that list, for one.

nonaware and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  8. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

There are plenty of ways to make this work... first off - sending PMs to Portalarium and expecting them to do investigations is just nuts. Never going to happen. Sure, people will send in the PMs but given that Portalarium is always talking about their backlog of work... can't even get a handle on thread bumps - investigations and calling out scammers is something I'm guessing we're going to have to handle on our own.

And for the safety of the community, there needs to be public consequences for scammers so they can't just slink off and scam someone else. Not calling them out is just giving them a free pass to continue doing this. Who's already been scammed?

Scammers hurt all of us... if there is no confidence in the market... there will be no market.

Melissa and Vesper Merchant like this.
  9. Drocis the Devious

I do it all the time. It seems to work very well for me. They take exploits and violations very seriously.

But yes, they are very busy and as Berek instructed the best way to approach this is to send a support ticket via email. That allows them to prioritize their response with all the other things they have going on.

I don't think it's fair to say that Portalarium can't handle issues like this if you haven't given them a chance. If you have a situation like this, send them an email.

10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

And here you are wrong.
    Calling out people is still against EULA and i am going to report it every time i see it.
    The vigilantism in this forum is sometimes staggering.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    Weins201 likes this.
  11. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I don't get it - you're ok with insinuating I'm inviting vigilantism, but it's not ok to post a black list of scammers in an effort to protect the community from scammers?

I'm not suggesting everyone goes on a witch hunt and start slinging mud at each other... But if someone is scamming, then there are ways to prove it; and there are ways to protect other players from being scammed.

12. Earl Atogrim von Draken

That's not what you are suggesting but that's what is likely to happen.
    Policing other players, dosen't matter if you are right or wrong, just isn't your job nor the job of any other community member.

13. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Trading in this marketplace isn't part of the game. This community has a culture of making real dollar trades for everything.. Everyone, even the biggest and most predominant traders here promote the use of Paypal friends and family... this community couldn't be more ripe for scammers.

Ok, say we don't go post a blacklist - how's about a Safe Practices guide?

14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Sure it is. And it's a problem. But in the end Port has to take care of it.

Sure, that's fine for me.
    I would even write it myself if my english would be good enough and i would know what to look for ;-)

Acred likes this.
  15. Drocis the Devious

I think that's always a good idea.

Also, it's a big deal to have items in-game that have names changed around. There was a greenhouse somewhere I was thinking about buying and now I'm not because I just don't trust that it's really a greenhouse. So this is a huge deal for the confidence of our players.

This is a lot like counterfeiting. You don't give people second chances on counterfeiting. The secret service shows up at your door and you go away for a long time. That's because counterfeiting undermines the entire economy and there are lot of people counting on that economy working so they can feed their kids and stuff like that.

Acred, Melissa and Vesper Merchant like this.
  16. Zosaria

Zosaria Avatar

Why should this be illegal?
    Is this not a sandbox game?
    Anything ingame should be fair game, if people are to stupid to fall for this, it will be a lesson for them.
    Those that scam will be listed by players ingame, and the community will punish them with not trading with them.
    I remember LB saying that players are allowed to do anything they are able to ingame.

With that said, No I dont do it, nor do I plan to do it, I have written down some of their names myself for future reference.

17. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Let's say I was going to sell you an Airship City Home for 500$. I want you to pay with friends and family because I'm a nice person and it saves us both a few bucks.

[​IMG]

BAM - you just got a vendor... and you have no recourse with Paypal because Friends and Family is a one way transaction.

From the top of the page:
    "All exchanges of virtual good for real dollars are at the players own risk and governed by the terms of service of whatever third party platform (eBay, PayPal, etc.) that is used."

For the sake of conversation, let's say that Portalarium steps in and says I was wrong - how can they know and why would they interfere? Like @Zosaria said... this is a sandbox MMO.

Melissa, Greyfox and Jatvardur like this.
  18. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Somewhat needed for a healthy marketplace. When we have a mostly deregulated marketplace then we need a way to police it ourselves. Naming / shaming scams may go some way to prevent further damage. Obviously, everyone can see the flipside where such a system can be abused.

Probably all fun and games until someone threatens a lawsuit.

Melissa and Vesper Merchant like this.
  19. Zosaria

Zosaria Avatar

I would never use Friends and Family on paypal to buy anything here, and I would advise you to do the same, unless you know the person in real life.
    Maybe for small amounts like $5 but not $500... no way.

20. Zosaria

Zosaria Avatar

Good luck with that with someone outside of the USA, living under other laws.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.