Tricks and scams in the marketplace

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brighton Rock, Aug 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Godra

Godra Avatar

@DarkStarr I have an idea. STOCKS!!! Put these avatars in stocks and allow the community to make fun of them, throw things at them, use the /puke emote on them.... I want this feature added to the game in all major NPC towns. Make this happen for all first offenders who scam or exploit the game who are not perma banned. Those that are going to be perma banned, schedule a burning at the stake or pyre and watch that avatar be removed from the game.

Bodhbh Dearg, Skizz, Thwip and 2 others like this.
  2. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

He clearly says they "can"... not they will. And what is "knowingly" supposed to indicate? If Portalarium leaves us hanging on this, it basically means that this sort of game mechanic is OK. Keeping it quiet and wanting everyone to submit a ticket so these things can be handled on a case by case basis is extremely telling as I see it. Either it's ok to scam or it's not.

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  3. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I absolutely disagree with this. Players who intentionally try and take advantage of others like this ruin the game for everyone and should be removed.

4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Quick fix. All rewards should have different color text.

Also mousing over an item ought to give more details that make it clear what it is, and what it is not.

Acred likes this.
  5. redfish

redfish Avatar

New players won't understand to do this. As long as you create a UI that new players won't understand, people will continue to get scammed.

Just disable renamed labels for now when the item is in a trade or vendor window, except for books and note titles. The item would have to be in the inventory of the owner for the rename to show. That's probably the easiest solution in the short term.

6. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

OK. Renaming a "Small Bag" to "Artisan Tool Reward" and placing for sale in the 1000s is a scam. Period.
    The individual who does it is a scammer. Period.

Port should be made aware that individuals are using game mechanics to scam, yes.

Thank you for posting pictures of the scam! This is perhaps the very best thing, to make the community aware with proof. People can see and understand the scam and the scammer.;)

Please continue to post pictures of scams for us when you see them, and do let Port know.

Bodhbh Dearg, Acred and enderandrew like this.
  7. Ash Silvertongue

Ash Silvertongue Avatar

[​IMG]

BUYER BEWARE - NOT THE REAL DEAL. THIS IS LOCATED IN KINGSPORT. (has been reported)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    Alexander, Thwip and enderandrew like this.
  8. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

@OP:

Hah! That's brilliant!

9. redfish

redfish Avatar

I guess that's leaving out the Obsidian Book of Unlearning scam.. at least the title underline is there... bu could always put book titles in tooltips and leave sheets of paper titled... though some might not like that... could change the item from a book to something else. Like an orb of unlearning, or whatever. Otherwise, you'd need to find a creative way to distinguish books that even new players would understand intuitively.

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  10. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Or maybe just don't show the rename on the vendor list (unless it's underlined because it's a book or note). That would be the easiest thing to do.

Yes, what he said.

BRB going to rename a Raw Cotton to "Hand of Atos"...

Bodhbh Dearg, smack and Katu like this.
  11. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

*cough* *cough* Kickstarter *cough* *cough*

John Markus, Net and Blake Blackstone like this.
  12. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Why can items be renamed anyway? I thought the name of the item is to indicate what that item appears to be to the avatar looking at it.

So if there is a label it should be some sort of tag that a player can name (like price tags and labels at shoping malls that we cut off after we buy it and take our stuff home).

I personally never went to Sears and found a pair of blujeans and thought it was an inflatable raft (which is basically what this thread is showing is actually happening )

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  13. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!

De la Cueva and John Markus like this.
  14. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

When you run across things like this don't forget to /block player name.
    That way when they delete and rename themselves, their new name stays on your block list and you can keep track of who not to trade/interact with.

It doesn't help you Identify who's the main account behind this but atleast it is something.

Leelu, Katrina Bekers, Spoon and 9 others like this.
  15. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

I like this feature.

During early alpha when I was messing around with accounts, I deleted a character only to think at the last minute, "Crap, I forgot to write down everyone on my friends list." I was happy to discover it's by account, not character.

moko and Tahru like this.
  16. Travitar

Travitar Avatar

[​IMG]

edit: Guess I should add something meaningful to the conversation. I'd like an option like an ad-blocker for a web browser that I could subscribe to. By subscribing, it'd block all known scammers/griefers from showing up in any vendor space, billboards, in-game chat, etc..

17. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

During my Pen & Paper RPG time i always loved playing the Thief.
    Why: Because a Game Platform gives you the opportunity to try out "Roles" you can't do in real live.
    I would not steal in real live - but in a Game i find this Role intresting.

Hmmm.. maybe a untruthful Merchant?

The less options the sanbox gives you the less attracted i am to it.

For you all this is a "Scamer" - a Evil Person - that the Game needs to Ban and Remove!

For me he is just someone who is a "Gamer" who plays the Role of a "Scoundrel".
    So i am happy he is in the Game.

Unfortunatly the biggest setback of this is - A Game requires you to not harm you in real live in any form.
    That is the reason it is a Game.

The more a Game adds "real profit trading" and attaches real world investments to items and land and more - the less this is a Game.

So this is the reason you all say: Ban him , Report him.

If this would be a true Game from my understanding: you do not mind. you expect such things to happen.

SotA is like someone trying to write the book Game of Thrones with getting the following restrictions he has to obey:

no cursing, no brutality, no sexual wording, no picking, no conspiracy, no harmful acting, no torture, no killing of minors, no sadism, no rip off

You already took so much out of the Game to avoid any form of "penalty" - it is just plain boring and redicilous this game.

For my Taste.

18. Travitar

Travitar Avatar

Scoundrels can scoundrel all they want, but there will likely be community backlash against them as we are seeing now. It works both ways.

19. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

so backlash within the "Game " and do not make it a "Policy of the Game"

Travitar likes this.
  20. Net

Net Avatar

Most Pen & Paper games have some sort of Dungeon/Game Master who ensures that things do not get ugly. And are quite often played with bunch of friends. So the environment is really differnet. If someone is ****, you do not play with them again. It is quite different here.

I still think this is exploit rather than playing scoundrel. Pretty sure the intention of renaming feature was not to allow this sort of scam.

I really like Pen & Paper RPGs, but a lot of their magic is with bunch of people knowing eac hanother playing together while the Game Master makes sure the game stays game and fun.

Oh and one last thing. Our response to the scoundrels is very limited in the game. Especially if it is just alt created to list misnamed stuff. That is the main reason why I think it should be treated as exploit and not playing the villain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.