R32 Land Rush status

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smack, Jul 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

This is because most people just logged in to place and aren't playing this unfinished mess of a game. Player towns don't attract such players due to perceived value of such a location not being an "official city". Player towns attract active community members who crave that interaction (rightfully so).

2. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Those POT owners who expected "free citizens", but lacked the impetus to build a community, deserve what they get. Running a town is not meant to be simple.

Personally, I did not purchase my town with the intention of having other players live there... It is a place to build my estate home without having to deal with pesky neighbors building a dozen lighthouses on the shoreline.

Mind you, even with that in mind, I have two residents living in my forest, with no advertising or anything.

Your loss, not ours. :)

3. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Most of the predictions were that all of the NPC towns would be full of higher level backers 'stealing' smaller lots... Mayhem! Devil Whales Laughing Maniacally at the poor poor plebeians... Brittany Alleys didn't fill up until well into Group 91.

Were there people that didn't get what they wanted? Of course. No one was guaranteed to get THE lot they wanted other than those that wished to settle in a Player Owned Town.
    Were the problems encountered of the scope that many people expected? No... By and large, the "Land Rush" went very well.

Tiki Pirate and Tahru like this.
  4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

For now... and that's what I expected for my town at this point... Dawn's Keep was built not with the expectation that it would be full immediately, but that I would fill it over time with individuals and small groups of those that will come... I'm thrilled with the status of my town right now. What I expected is unfolding as I thought it would.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, and your attitude. Neither are shared by all.

Kara Brae, 4EverLost, Baalice and 2 others like this.
  5. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

Bah, the first post of yours I can't bring myself to 'like'. :p It'll always be a point of contention for me. However, if you want to really see me lose my mind, wait until they unclone Harvest and 'happen' to reform the terrain around the place I got that I now am happy with. I'm more anxious about that than I was about the land rush!

Mykll, zyxe and Tahru like this.
  6. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

And that makes perfect sense. I completely agree with your logic and distaste for poor placement logic (speaking of, lol @ the guy with the lighthouse on the pond in brit fields)

As for my loss, I doubt it. Though you must admit my attitude is toxic and detriment to player town development.
    I'll of course visit pax at some point, but I'm much more interested in exploring the world and lore RG developed, not glorified fanfic. And I fully expect pax and maybe a few other player towns to receive story relevance in the episodes to come, which I welcome, but again those towns will be in the vast minority.

NRaas likes this.
  7. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

Hey I'm glad you're enjoying your investment. And of course it'll fill up once the other 50% of deed owners start playing and of course influx of new players post release. Demand isn't measured by eventuality, but by preference of the 'firsts'. Eventually everything will fill, I think.

8. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

Oh, man, that's awful. I realize this is the downside to letting people do what they want with their property but it does seem odd that this would have happened in the capital city.

Edit: In game city planning, I mean. Not surprised at all someone was like ooh, I can have a lighthouse!

postulio likes this.
  9. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

I suspect the original Dev-team thoughts regarding how a POT would be used was meant to be how the current dozen POTs that are greater than 25 claims are being handled : As community/guild focused towns with a magnetic personality at the center.

The sparseness you are seeing with the 100's of other towns comes from the myriad of other ideas that players had regarding what they could do with a personal scene :
    • Personal playground
    • Battle-royale arena
    • Private estate
    • Scenic tour
    • Public Cache Waypoint
    However, if you are just looking for the big vendors, just read the POT Census spreadsheet and stick with the biggest towns... Save yourself the trouble of scene transitioning. :)

10. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

Didn't mention nor care about vendors. And what's the difference if they're used as intended or not, or even what intents were (though I suspect a large assumption was it will be housing for the vast majority of players who didn't fit into the npc towns).

All I said is it's clear most players don't care for player towns, and it's true based on the land rush, and week+ after it.

11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Go to Kingsport and take the first road to the right after you enter the town...

12. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

Haha yes! Three dweebs with lighthouses in the river closed off by a bridge right?

Black Tortoise and Baalice like this.
  13. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

Look, I'm antisocial, I picked my lot specifically because it had no neighbors due to geography, and I would never place in a POT and be subject to finding all my belongings in the bank one day (even years in the future) because the owner of the town got upset with me/the game/the world and revoked my lot.

BUT. having to ask permission to settle in a POT curbs a lot of people doing it. And last I checked you cant really tell the PRTs from the POTs on the map so people give both a miss and just look in brittany/owls head/aerie etc for their lot. I had a PRT on my short list when lot selection came around, it just didnt come to that.

postulio and 4EverLost like this.
  14. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Okay, just to go back to your original comment :
    • By smack's spreadsheet, there are 2470 claims in Story towns, and 512 claims in PRTs.
    • By my spreadsheet, there are 1094 claims in POTs.
    By that, three-quarters of existing claims went into dev-run towns.

So, you are indeed correct in that "most" players don't live in player towns. I will concede that fact. :)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    4EverLost and Tahru like this.
  15. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

You don't have to ask permission, many POTs have lots which anyone can claim.

16. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

I know, I looked at the numbers, not talking out of my arse here :p

Plus, all the npc lots filled up as far as I can tell, at least in the desirable places, save a few moves here and there. PTs will get the spill over now, not due to popularity or desire of the people placing but simply due to lack of options. The mere fact that desirable npc towns filled up first should be proof enough about the irrelevance of 99% off the PTs. Places like kingsport, Owls, Aerie etc filled up before the final 30+ waves of placement even began.

Not to mention that pretty much everyone I know in game placed their second, third etc lots in PTs, for various reasons including the one above.

I fully expect PTs to keep growing, as I said, with pledges and new players entering the game and finding all the main cities full. I'm sure that when new lands come out with housing lots in new npc cities we'll have a bit of an exodus out of the PTs, at least from people not concerned with the community but just want a more popular/central lot (which regardless of personal preference here, one must admit is the desire of the majority).

Not sure what the issue is, I get people are protective of their investment but the reality of the situation is PTs are mostly avoided and undesired for a plethora of reasons including but not limited to over-saturation, lack of competent and/or willing governorship and of course the innate desire to be part of a city that "matters" and is central to the game's progression.

17. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

See I didnt know that..at least for sure, and I doubt a lot of other people do (or maybe they dont know there are towns where you do need permission...I could have this flipped).

18. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

4, actually, as of Sunday night. Might have changed.

Baalice likes this.
  19. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

I don't disagree. :)

20. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Dawn's Keep requires permission. I want to know who lives in my town. I want them to know me. Will this slow the growth of my town? Most likely... That's expected. Speed is not my concern.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.