Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Archer's are still too powerful in this patch

Discussion in 'Release 33 Feedback Forum' started by Calindel, Sep 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calindel

Calindel Avatar

Hello SotA community ^_^

I'm sure that I am not alone in this opinion, but it seems like archers are still way too powerful.
    Elven, Skeletal, Kobold, etc etc No matter what type of humanoid we are discussing, the archer variant seems vastly more powerful when compared to their melee/warrior and mage counterparts.

They may have less HP than warriors, but they still appear to be armored and they can slow/kite you to a degree. Their damage is very high and seems to ignore any armor boosting and shields I wear.

Just curious if that could be looked at :)
    Or if people think I am crazy or wrong. I am open to disagreement of course.

- Cal

Dreeshna, Modu, Magos and 1 other person like this.
  2. Frosin

Frosin Avatar

It does need to tune down a tiny bit at lower skull area, but mage is just as if not more dangerous at higher wave of control point or the rise really. Melee on other hand...felt it can be made more dangerous.

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Archers are no more dangerous than mages.

Pikuko, Duke Avery and cartodude like this.
  4. Calindel

Calindel Avatar

I agree mages are also difficult compared to warriors. But I feel archers still have a small advantage.
    That could of course be because I am a fire mage and I have at least 10%+ fire resistant from my kit.
    That may seem why its slightly better.

Either way, I think the ranged classes of enemy need a small nerf, or the warriors need to be brought up.

Magos likes this.
  5. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

It all depends on your stats. Overall archers are the highest threat... but I dont think they should change that. If you have gap closers or some speed their kiting makes them themdeal no dmg and you can hit them in the back.

6. Dariog

Dariog Avatar

Archers and mages cause interrupts far too often now. It was bad before, but is much worse now. The problem can be handled with sufficiently high level, but it does make some areas suicide for character levels that could once succeed there.

7. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

If you run around and are getting archers behind or to your side then you are taking double damage and making them appear much stronger than they are - toe to toe an archer / mage / and warrior all hit about the same and resist about the same.

It is the target who allows them to use their skills to their best abilities who takes more damage.

8. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Mostly it is that archer AI is unreasonable. Every arrow should not hit, especially against adequately armored opponents. When a melee person is facing a longbow user up close, face to face, the longbow should not be able to be used. There just is not enough room. There should be a minimum distance where a bow becomes effective. Inside that distance the archer attack should fail. The increased damage when the archer is firing at your back needs to be toned down a bit too. It is impossible to turn and run when you come around a corner and three archers are waiting. Turning and fleeing should be an option, but now it is certain death.

9. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I've definitely noticed this as well.

Epiphany and Dariog like this.
  10. Dadapawa

Dadapawa Avatar

Dont think this is a good idea;
    -If we start to argue with realism, the game will get to a point where... well, it wont be a game anymore :p (specially since this should be applied to both NPC and players). With a minimum distance needed, the max distance should be increased by so much, as long bow should also be able to shoot at a bigger distance then the current 20m, and see you come from afar bla bla bla. doupt a lot of people wouldnt enjoy this.
    -But mostly, because the best way top balance this once it is implemented, is having NPC kite to a point where you are back to the same issue, exept you have to run so much more xD

But agree that since I started playing this game, archer has been hitting like a truck (and seems like Mages got a buff now too). maybe increase melee to be on par with the archer? Is it the archer/mage that are too strong, or the melee that are too weak?

helm likes this.
  11. Dariog

Dariog Avatar

Agreed.

12. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Nerf scissors.
    Rock is fine.

-Paper

13. One Zero

One Zero Avatar

Agree with OP. Arrows piercing right through chain mail and plate armor like it was cloth??

This brings up another question though...Why are there archers inside dark caves, hallways and sewers? Ok maybe they have night vision. But shooting arrows in confined spaces at close range?

Yeah I know there are other priorities to work on such as performance, balancing combat/economy and a Jira list with over 30,000 tasks. But it's the details like placing mobs in sensible locations and having armor functioning truly like armor which will make the game really polished one day.

Elwyn and Arianna like this.
  14. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I hear you, but there should be some mechanic that causes archers to miss more frequently when you are sprinting with serpentine motion away from them. It is uncanny how three archers can rapid fire at a moving target, hitting on most every shot.

15. LiquidSky

LiquidSky Avatar

*shrug* I refer you to the Battle of Agincourt, or the Battle of Crecy as a couple examples of why people in plate armour fear archers with longbows.

I would also point out that chain mail is the worst possible defence against anything pointy due to the fact that your armour is full of holes. It is meant to stop slashing. The cloth padding you wear underneath is what is meant to *hopefully* stop the pointy object. So yes, arrows hit chain like it was cloth.

I would also point out that you are not wearing one inch thick plate armour. It's pretty thin metal. There is a reason why guys in plate armour rode horses.

The best protection from the longbow is a bunch of guys holding big shields.

16. Fatty

Fatty Avatar

Hate to see how powerful those archers get, when they wield something more powerful than a shoddy bow....

Aldo likes this.
  17. agra

agra Avatar

The best part is when you kill them and they drop a BROKEN bow. Yeah, when players use it, no damage, when they use it? MOAR DAMAGE!
    Enjoy your 110 damage crits, while facing them, with a shield equipped, defensive stance active, 40+ dmg resist and 15%+ avoidance... sure.. that's balanced. o_O

Pikuko, Dreeshna, Modu and 2 others like this.
  18. helm

helm Avatar

If bows were restricted in confined spaces / at close range, one would also have to restrict most larger melee weapons.

Birne Gilmore likes this.
  19. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I'd be happy if they actually dropped loot equivalent to the damage they're doing....

Dariog likes this.
  20. Modu

Modu Avatar

Or make them worth double XP - since they do roughly double damage of other mobs. Either way they need adjusted for sure.

Dariog likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.