I made a house!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elwyn, Aug 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

That's awesome!

Cally, Krohon, Jivalax Azon and 4 others like this.
  2. mass

mass Avatar

I've been collecting timber for this. Anyone see the 4 story house on a vendor? Was thinking of making 2 and selling one.

Cally, Krohon, Jivalax Azon and 5 others like this.
  3. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

I forgot to mention the fireplace in your house. I think it is the nicest looking one i have seen in a row house.

Bom, Krohon, Jivalax Azon and 3 others like this.
  4. Oyjord Hansen

Oyjord Hansen Avatar

+1

Cally, Krohon, Jivalax Azon and 2 others like this.
  5. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

has anyone made the village house with the balcony? I'd love to see that one before I commit 120 timbers to it!

I made the 4 story row house also, love it!!

Cally, Krohon, Jivalax Azon and 3 others like this.
  6. mass

mass Avatar

Just tried this; I have 68 carpentry skill and tried to craft at the +5 founders table. Says I don't have adequate carpentry. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Time Lord likes this.
  7. coyotemoon

coyotemoon Avatar

You will need more skill just lvl up to 85 skill levels and use an expert table. :)

8. mass

mass Avatar

I thought it was said 70. So I was thinking I had 68 +5 with the table. Is woodworking something different than carpentry?

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Duncan O. McDermott

Duncan O. McDermott Avatar

What skill level is 70 proficiency?

Cally and Time Lord like this.
  10. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Nice work! Congratulations!

11. 3dmark

3dmark Avatar

Dumb question I'm sure, but where do you actually get an expert table? Have not seen them as a recipe, or on the SotA store.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

WOW! Now this makes me want to build a house as well (though I don't have any place to put it) LOL ヽ(^。^)丿

13. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

You can only get them through pledge/bundle.

However there are plenty around where Rifters have set them up in their own lots available to the public.
    There is also some spread out over adventure scenes.

If you wonder if the one you see is expert then hover the mouse over it and the pop up will tell you. When you have found one make note of the mini-tapestry, which is how you spot one from a bit away.

Cally, Bom, Krohon and 4 others like this.
  14. bribrii

bribrii Avatar

What would you charge me to craft one for me? I have all the mats

Cally, Bom, Krohon and 2 others like this.
  15. 3dmark

3dmark Avatar

Checked out your house. Pretty awesome, I must say - well done!

I only wish it didn't look so run down on the outside. I really like the wooden interior. And really nice balcony on the top.

Cally, Bom, Krohon and 3 others like this.
  16. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

@Berek If this is true, (check the sheets of Chris's SOTA wisdom), I believe we need a special mark on that house "First Crafted House of the Game" or something like that o_O It's a very important milestone, as I've never heard of one "made by hand before".
    Congrats! @Elwyn !
    ~Time Lord~:)

Cally, Pikegirl, Stahlknecht and 4 others like this.
  17. Krohon

Krohon Avatar

Indeed, I wonder how many stones are needed for a castle! What's next, POTs and mines?

Cally likes this.
  18. helm

helm Avatar

It's level 98 - however with expert table providing +5 to proficiency, the skill level requirement can be lowered to 70-5=65 (translating to skill level 85), and it can possibly be lowered even further with some of the carpentry hammers with engravings.

Edit: Gold Engravings provide +3 to carpentry proficiency, and True Bronze Engravings provide +5, so theoretically the carpentry proficiency requirement can be lowered down to 60, using an expert table and a Carpentry Hammer with True Bronze Engravings (I haven't tested it, and do not know what exact skill level the level 60 proficiency translates to).

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    Cally, Elwyn, Bom and 1 other person like this.
  19. Bom

Bom Avatar

Congratulations Elwyn! That is quite an accomplishment! :)

One of the first things I was determined to be when I started playing SotA a bit ago was a home builder. And one of the first things I wanted to craft was a four story row house. However, after I saw that wood was selling for 70 gold a piece it really made no sense and was cost prohibitive, especially when the NPC was selling four story row houses for 5k gold! Now the NPC price has been bumped up to 10k, but it's still not worth it (see below). There is an issue with the pricing of different sized houses too. All the row houses cost 10k no matter what size, nor the materials that go into them. I think that is very imbalanced, I suppose I better make a post about it, which I think I will do right after this. Further, I tried buying one of the NPC four story houses and then selling it back to the house NPC and he would only offer 4k for it.

Four Story Row House Cost
    200 Timber = 200 Creosote + 1,600 scraps + 600 wood = 400 gold + 6,400 gold + 42,000 gold = 48,800 gold
    50 Granite = 200 gold
    Total = 50,000 gold
    So, I think the NPC should sell Four Story Rows for more like 50k - this is about the value that the Four Story is being sold for in the Store at $50. Either that, or maybe it would be better to reduce the materials required to build them. If the materials required were reduced to the point of 30k, then the cost of the house wold represent the real market value, or what players are actually willing to pay for them. I see Four Story Row houses selling for between $20-$30 or 20-30k. So probably a better cost of materials for the Four Story Row would be about 25,000 gold. Then the NPC price for Four Story could be 25k, Three Story 20k, and Two Story 15k. These are much more realistic prices for what houses actually sell for.

Anyway, even though home builder seemed like a bad profession to get into, against my better judgement I jumped in deciding to try castle parts instead. It appeared I could build and profit a bit off selling all the parts to build a small castle for about 10k also. A castle for 10k sounds like a better deal than a Row for 10k right? Except I couldn't profit at that either, because nobody buys castle parts since the parts don't fit together correctly and you can't place decorations on them. *sigh*

So, I guess all I can do now is submit my feedback, but I wanted to run it by the person that build the first house in the game! So cool!

As noted above the NPC appears to buy 4 story houses for only 4k! But it will cost a value of 50k to build.

20. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

First, this is not the same house that the vendors sell. Those have a lot smaller bedrooms because of the way their front is shaped. Instead, it has the same outline as the 4-story row house that sells for $50 in the online store, just a little bit uglier. Multiple people (in this thread even?) have told me that the layout is much more desirable than the house from the vendor.

Second, wood was only 50 that day, I already had accumulated 20% of the wood I needed, and I was building for myself. The math is quite dependent on the specific price you can buy wood for. Also, I got all my creosote for free; there is somewhere in game where it is sack loot. And it is 300 wood, not 600. You get two timbers and two boards from each of their recipes, so a board is 1.5 wood.

But the price that you can sell to an NPC to is fixed (based on the "value" number), and Port intentionally wants a crafted item to sell to NPCs in online mode for no more than an NPC would pay for the parts, because they want to encourage a player economy, and because it opens up the possibility of gold-generating exploits. So you really can't use NPC buy-back prices as a measure of anything except as a sort of consolation prize.

I wrote down that 81 was 63.6 and it is about 0.4 per level there, so 63 is probably 79, and 60 may be as low as 72. Also, I was using Prosperity tools, and I wasn't trying to consider any bonus they might have had, but that might have helped me have an 89% chance at 85 skill.

Cally, Stahlknecht and Bom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.